Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Default T56 Mag Shifter Location 69 Camaro

Question:

I'm about to trial fit a T56 Mag LS trans into my 69 Camaro with a BBC. The T56 Mag apparently has two possible shifter locations by rotating the shifter/plate by 180.

What is the best location for the shifter to be mounted (forward or aft) ? I will be using a console if possible. I want to have the shifter in the most correct location before bolt up the trans to the engine then go cutting holes in a clean trans tunnel.....

Lastly, the trans as delivered has the shifter mounted in the furthest rear most part of the trans.

Thx

Larry
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 PM

The forward position with an offset handle adapter positions it for the stock console placement.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
The forward position with an offset handle adapter positions it for the stock console placement.
x2...I just put the t56 magnum in my '69 and the shifter can be turned around to the forward position. Worked perfectly!

'69 'Vert Camaro: DSE Sub-Frame, DSE Mini-Tub, DSE Four-Link w/9inch. LME LS7 427, T56. Tuned by Ed Hutchings, :SOLD!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks Matt and Sieg,

Any tunnel mod required?

Larry
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM

mine was an original auto, so I just cut the whole to fit....

'69 'Vert Camaro: DSE Sub-Frame, DSE Mini-Tub, DSE Four-Link w/9inch. LME LS7 427, T56. Tuned by Ed Hutchings, :SOLD!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks Matt,

The car the trans is going in started life as an auto so I also need to cut the hole for the shifter. Dry run planned for this weekend....All of the clutch parts including the Hydraulic T/O set-up from American Powertrain arrived today so I'm now in business......

lg
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Sorry for the late response, been in the middle of my install/re-install due to the wrong to bearing (short). I cut an access hole to make it easier to see what was going on throught the fitment process.

The right side bolts front access cover (ahead of the shifter) were lightly contacting the tunnel when the trans was fully installed. Since I had to pull it again I jacked up that tunnel section with a 2x4 slightly larger than the cover plate and massaged the tunnel with a composite hammer to gain the needed clearance, approx. .25". My plan is to make a temporary cover plate until I get time to properly stitch weld a fill piece in place.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Sieg,

Great pics......These REALLY help better understand the job in front of me. It looks like tunnel clearance is tight but manageable with some assistance of a light hammer or mallet and a 2x4.

Are you comfortable with the clearance you were able to achieve? It also looks like I need to remove the pems from underneath the tunnel that were inserted by the factory for bolting down the factory console as these probably take up about 1/4" or so of space.

Lastly, is your car lowered and or using half height sub-frame bushings? I'm using factory height bushings but car is lowered via suspension at about 1.5" or so.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Larry
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 AM

I have stock subframe, new standard height body mounts, doesn't appear the floor/tunnel has sag much, Moroso solid mounts (original SS bases), Energy trans mount, Quicktime bellhousing.

The fender to ground measurements are approx 24.25" F and 24.75" R, so it's about 2+" lower via front coils and Global West leafs and 1" blocks.

I massaged the bellhousing area of the firewall a fair amount:

My guess is the cars vary quite a bit in this area of production.

Finished with 3M Rubberized Undercoating:

I also ground the front console mounting bolts flush to the well nuts.

Shimmed the front of the crossmember to lower it at the mount a little:

I'm "hopefully" finishing the install today. Bellhousing is in, just need to re-install the tranny. I'll be taking more pics through the process. My guess is I'll have .25"-.38" clearance from the tunnel to right front inspection cover bolts.

Hope the info helps.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Larry,

Here's the where I bowed the front of the tunnel:

With the trans installed I ended up with the engine/trans at a 2.5* downward angle. The right side shifter cover bolts are about 2-3 mm above the opening, left side are 2-3 mm below.

(cardboard taped over shifter opening for test drives)