Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 AM

Default American Powertrain

Hello

Im doing a total restoration of my 67 camaro, and it includes among others a new LS3 engine with new transmission and drivetrain.

After considering different suppliers i went for American Powertrain for my transmission package as they seem serious and reliable. They also was the first ones to answer my request for a quote. So far so god.

I transferred the money and sent them a confirmation on this the 15. novemeber 2012. Today almost two months later no transmission has arrived my US adress. I have sent several messages to them but the one and only serious answer i got was that the where waiting for some clevis pins.

I just want to tell everybody this so that people are aware that there can be a huge delivery problem even from the major players.

As i live in norway i calculate 3-4 weeks delivery time just for the shipping over seas, but now the 2 months delivery time just for the shipping within US is really killing my planning.

As a last remark, i also ordered the LS3 engine from Crate Engine Depot at the same time as the tranny, and the engine has been sitting here for weeks now waiting for the tranny.

So thumbs down for American Powertrain this time.

Isak
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM

I've read a few stories like this recently about AP. Sorry to see because the initial stories about them were positive. I was a bit bummed when I ordered my T56 Magnum from Summit 2 weeks ago and then saw AP initiating a 10% off sale last week. However, after reading your post, and receiving a tracking number from Summit telling me my transmission will be here late this week or early next week, maybe the extra money I paid is worth it.

Clevis pins? Really? Must be fairly special pins. Hopefully they'll get that sorted out and have your order to you shortly.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM

I jumped on the 10% off last week myself, but they said I would be put on a list. I don't have a motor yet so I'm in no hurry. I also called Hurst Driveline Conversions and they said they were out of the Magnum T56s, said they sold out during the Holidays.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM

While every customers' experience is different I just want to weigh in with my experience even though it was awhile back.

Timeline looked like this.

4/27/12 I placed my order sending payment
5/08/12 information was requested because my shipping address was in flux, I expected a wait on the transmission so I had left it that way at time of payment... my fault.

5/11/12 My first delivery came
5/28/12 My final delivery came
I was originally told 4 weeks from time of order.

My salesman was Paul,
Tonya the receptionist,
Josh was in charge of shipping,
I also spoke with the owner whose name is first name is Gray. His last name slips my mind at the moment but he called me personally when he heard that my transmission arrived in a damaged container. He had me run through a few checks for him and send some pictures in case a claim against UPS developed. Fortunately the contents were unharmed.

Based on my experience, I would do business with American Powertrain again.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasnt in a hurry myself, but after losing 2 months that changed.

I got a new message today, and this time it was the bushings for the tranny crossmember that was missing. So the last message back in desember telling me that the only thing missing was the clevis pinns turned out to be wrong. So the story keeps changing.

What i dont understand is if they knew early that things would drag out, they could ship the major parts first, and send the remaining stuff when they arrivied. I would gladly pay extra for this if they could play ball at a early stage.

My project really takes a beating now, as the enginge and tranny fitment wont take place before late february / early march. Damn.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM

What car/chassis?

My stuff sits in boxes waiting for me to get my act together. I am not above working with them if it would help you and them, they could restock me easily being in the states. Even if you are across the big pond, that is what FedEx and UPS are for.

Technically, I am half Norwegian because both my Grandfathers were each half Norwegian.

You could PM or email me through the board if you desire.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM

wow Robert, thats a generous offer - Thanks alot. But they promised shipment on this thursday, so it wont make a difference at this point. But relly, thanks for the offer, or "Tusen takk" as they say over here

And its a 67 camaro coupe..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I jumped on the 10% off last week myself, but they said I would be put on a list. I don't have a motor yet so I'm in no hurry. I also called Hurst Driveline Conversions and they said they were out of the Magnum T56s, said they sold out during the Holidays.
That sounds like a trick I know of.... pool a bunch of guys together for a "sale" and then once you get the required amount (5 or 10 orders in bulk) they place the master order and hence the discount.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Isak

Your totally right this order has taken to long. But to clear the air for any overseas shipments we hold the order until all the parts are here or it gets really expensive for shipping and customs.

Who ever told you it was clevis pins that was incorrect it was your hydramax bracket we have been waiting on. We redesigned the brackets so they fit better and it hurt our supply line. Your kit IS shipping this week. The transmission was delayed first then the bracket held it up this last week. And not to mention the holidays but that is not your problem.

The transmissions are slow to arrive sometimes from TREMEC especially this time of year. TREMEC builds the OE transmissions for the new Camaro, Challengers and Caddys with 6-speeds. This is their prime manufacturing run season and at the same time its also the build season for enthusiasts. So it hits right in the middle of our best selling time. This season runs now through usually early April. Hurst and other dealers are also hurt by this supply shortage. TREMEC has to shut down their OE lines to build the aftermarket transmissions. We try to forecast how many we need but they still sometimes can't keep up with demand due to building OE trannys. Not knocking TREMEC but its the nature of the business.

Again I am sorry for the delay and communication from our staff. If you need anything else feel free to drop me a note.

Thanks
Matt Graves
American Powertrain
Sponsor Lateral-G
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
wow Robert, thats a generous offer - Thanks alot. But they promised shipment on this thursday, so it wont make a difference at this point. But relly, thanks for the offer, or "Tusen takk" as they say over here

And its a 67 camaro coupe..
You're very welcome.

I saw that in your original post as soon as I posted... so my stuff likely would have fit assuming we bought the same components.

Well, in any case I am glad that they are taking care of you but I am not surprised in the least. I am sorry that you felt it necessary to post a thread with a title such as this one which is what spurred me to comment about the timeliness of my order last year.

Always try to remember that Bad public relations go much farther than good relations... and are much harder for a vendor to come back from.

We as customers expect good service, nobody goes into a transaction expecting to be disappointed or treated poorly.

These days, especially in the car world over promising and under delivering seems all too common for a few vendors which taints the market for everyone... vendors and customers alike.