Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Volume, filtering, and cleaning performance over the long term definitely factor into the expense/value analysis.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM

I buy the 5 gallon bucket of parts cleaner from menards and my washer takes 10 gallons. No idea what it is but its pretty harsh and cleans grease and oil of parts pretty fast. I use gloves to rubber gloves to keep my hands from drying out.

The only time you can smell the cleaner is if I have the top up on mine and have spent alot of time cleaning something. I've seen people who keep the solution in the bucket and run a filter and a pump to it so that there is no fluid sitting in the bottom of the parts washer to stink up the place.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass
Old 10-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:20 AM

After looking at many options, I decided to talk to Safety Kleen. They have 2 candidates... "4 in 1" water based concentrate that is diluted 20:1. It is an Arm & Hammer product that Safety Kleen markets. It is warned that it may discolor non-ferrous metals, and should be rinsed well from all surfaces. It also works better at heated temps.
They also have a stoddard type solvent with a 140 F. flashpoint. It is (according to the S.K. rep), safe for all electric pumps. At this point, this is what I have decided to go with. It is about twice as expensive as home store mineral spirits, but if it is far less flammable, I am willing to pay it. I just can't get comfortable using highly flammable solvent in an inexpensive pump with electricity in the mix.
As it turns out, S.K. has a home user promo going on where they will come to your house & fill your parts washer with up to 10 gallons of either product for $99. The contract calls for a replacement in 6 months where they will recycle the 1st 10 gallons, and refill you for another $99. So, the commitment is $200 & you should be covered for at least year. I'm not sure if I will use the washer that much, but I can't use it at all empty, and this seems like the safest path.
As always, any input is appreciated.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

The actual "liquid" is never the part you need to worry about ----- it's the FUMES that can be easily ignited.

If you think mixing electricity and flammables is a dangerous idea. Please don't drive your new vehicle as the fuel tank has an electric pump inside of it smothered in volatile fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hugger View Post
After looking at many options, I decided to talk to Safety Kleen. They have 2 candidates... "4 in 1" water based concentrate that is diluted 20:1. It is an Arm & Hammer product that Safety Kleen markets. It is warned that it may discolor non-ferrous metals, and should be rinsed well from all surfaces. It also works better at heated temps.
They also have a stoddard type solvent with a 140 F. flashpoint. It is (according to the S.K. rep), safe for all electric pumps. At this point, this is what I have decided to go with. It is about twice as expensive as home store mineral spirits, but if it is far less flammable, I am willing to pay it. I just can't get comfortable using highly flammable solvent in an inexpensive pump with electricity in the mix.
As it turns out, S.K. has a home user promo going on where they will come to your house & fill your parts washer with up to 10 gallons of either product for $99. The contract calls for a replacement in 6 months where they will recycle the 1st 10 gallons, and refill you for another $99. So, the commitment is $200 & you should be covered for at least year. I'm not sure if I will use the washer that much, but I can't use it at all empty, and this seems like the safest path.
As always, any input is appreciated.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

My parts washer hold 30 GALLONS of mineral spirits - has a lid - which is down unless I'm using it. Has an electric pump AND a light on a gooseneck. THERE IS ZERO "SMELL" from the solvent unless you're standing there washing parts and even then it's MINIMAL. In fact -- I've never even thought about the "smell" until this thread came up and then I had to replay the tape in my head to think if it did or didn't.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM

Greg,
I agree with everything you've said. The submerged fuel pump in all modern cars is a great example. But they are designed to do so.
I understand your Snap-on washer runs solvent, as do many. From what I have found, they are far more expensive machines than the cheapie I bought. And my limited/ occasional use doesn't call for a high-buck machine.
When I shopped for washers, the $75 to $200 dollar ones at Harbor Freight, Sears, etc. all say they are for water based fluids only. To get one that says it is for solvent, you gotta spent at least $500, & that is for a used one. Are there design differences in the pumps & switches that enable flammables? Maybe or maybe not, but can't find anyone that knows definitively.
My washer's instructions specifically say to only use a water based cleaning solution.
I am worried the seals in my low dollar pump may degrade over time using petroleum based fluid (against the mfrs instructions) & allow leakage into the motor. Turn it on, maybe months down the road, & a spark ignites it. That could be a problem with my insurance company.
At least by using a flammable product with a 140 flashpoint, (which Safety Kleen endorses in my type of system) I think I am minimizing the fire hazard. It may or may not make a difference, but I guess it will give me some peace of mind. I will still be a bit nervous starting it up for a while. But the extra $100 over store bought mineral spirits (which has a flash point of about 100 deg. F.) seems worth it to me.