Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
The problem with anything miata related is it just can't handle nor was designed to operate on cars this heavy most of our muscle cars are quite a bit more then miata . .like a pure minimum of 500 lbs . I don't think a miata even weights over 2700 lbs (sold cars for a mazda dealership 15 yrs ago)
My nova weighed in at 3000lbs was 2780 before I changed it from stock form.
A 4l60e is fat compared to a Muncie.

Charley
Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Sorry Charlie , that was more geared for the camaro...chevelle guys. Yes in that case you would be within the "dynamics" of a miata ...the question then goes back to if the sensors and module will talk to each other
Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry Charlie , that was more geared for the camaro...chevelle guys. Yes in that case you would be within the "dynamics" of a miata ...the question then goes back to if the sensors and module will talk to each other
No worries. Yeah but I think the Miata is a 3 channel system.
Getting closer. I've now joined the corvette forum. I've read thru the stielow build he's used that Bosch kit that is big money. But has used the vette unit a few times with great success.

Charley
Old 01-23-2017, 07:34 PM

Another option is the Teves system originally used in the mid 2000s BMW M3 CSL (European high end sport model). This is a popular system with club racers, even as a replacement for factory late model Porsche systems.

It requires active ABS sensors, e.g. of the type used in various late model Bosch setups. In my case, I used 2009+ vette hubs all around.

I sourced my system, less hubs but complete with wire harness, for less than $4K from Curt Jung at Jung Motorsports, 713-447-5864. Don't quote me on the price, it may have changed by now! I chose a basic Teves setup with the same controller and calibration used in the road car, but it has worked very well for me in the last 2 years of track days in my 69 Camaro. There are more advanced Teves motorsport setups as well, Curt can give you details.

I'm personally upgrading to the killer Bosch M4 ClubSport system, but that is serious $$ even if you find a more price friendly overseas dealer.

Scott
Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 PM

4k$...? ....the system mentioned in the article can be had for 1500-2000$ ish depending on how you buy the parts
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
4k$...? ....the system mentioned in the article can be had for 1500-2000$ ish depending on how you buy the parts
Yes, but this is for all new parts plus a custom harness. And this Teves unit has a much better reputation as a track worthy system than the C5 vette stuff (e.g. go to the racing section on Corvette forum and search for "ABS ice mode").

When it comes to ABS, I personally would always go with a proven solution from professionals. You can far too easily end up with a system that is sub-optimal or even dangerous. A few $K isn't much compared to every other performance mod we make to our vehicles.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAddict View Post
Yes, but this is for all new parts plus a custom harness. And this Teves unit has a much better reputation as a track worthy system than the C5 vette stuff (e.g. go to the racing section on Corvette forum and search for "ABS ice mode").

When it comes to ABS, I personally would always go with a proven solution from professionals. You can far too easily end up with a system that is sub-optimal or even dangerous. A few $K isn't much compared to every other performance mod we make to our vehicles.
Well not to come across as a d#+k ....the system that I mention uses gm parts which are designed to work together and was designed by professionals ....the only funny part is what it's being installed in . Fyi gm stuff is VERY proven on the street and track. I'm pretty sure the c6 stuff would also swap over but not quite sure .
Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Well not to come across as a d#+k ....the system that I mention uses gm parts which are designed to work together and was designed by professionals ....the only funny part is what it's being installed in . Fyi gm stuff is VERY proven on the street and track. I'm pretty sure the c6 stuff would also swap over but not quite sure .
When I started looking at ABS retrofit, I also thought I would go with a C5-based setup because of that same article. But I ran across quite a few threads of this type on Corvette forum:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...on-on-c5z.html

These were mostly T2 and AX racers who had experienced effectively no braking due to ice mode logic. Doing quite a bit more research on the nets, it seems that this type of problem is found in a number of OEM applications, even including some higher performance Porsche cars. The problem seems to be rarely triggered - many drivers never experience it - but it made me nervous. Take a system known to occasionally exhibit dangerous misbehavior, piece it together from used parts, eliminate some sensors, and install it in a vehicle with different dynamic behavior - hmm. I do about a dozen track days a year, and I didn't want to be wondering at the end of every 140 MPH straight if my ABS system would try to kill me. I have a couple friends who wheel C5s and have never had an issue, so maybe I'm overly paranoid - but still.

I looked at the early (Delphi) C6 stuff, but it seemed from the diagrams there were more inputs it wanted that I would have to figure out how to fake - and Stielow implied as much in one of his build threads.

The Teves is something I learned about from reading some racing forum or another - apparently its the go-to solution for racers who don't want to pony up for the Bosch Motorsport setup. I decided I would source it directly from somebody who was an expert in selling and supporting retrofit systems, even if it cost a bit more, just to minimize hassle and risk (hence my use of the "professional" word, which was misleading).

Not trying to advocate for any one solution as the "best", just depends on budget, goals, appetite for DIY, etc. Just offering another option, and my learnings that might be useful to someone else.

Scott
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 PM

Lol Scott you are being paranoid..... But, with some proof so to say of some issues I will say I understand the logic behind it. If I may agree when you are tracking a car at those speeds yes on the one in a million chance that SH#+ goes wrong you want to be safe. I was thinkijg of daily driver and or auto cross . I'm still in the air as to if I would or wouldn't do this being as it can complicate things . I have a feeling I'll end up driving the car for a summer or two then decide if I need to have a abs winter project lol cheers
Old 01-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,852 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAddict View Post
Another option is the Teves system originally used in the mid 2000s BMW M3 CSL (European high end sport model). This is a popular system with club racers, even as a replacement for factory late model Porsche systems.

It requires active ABS sensors, e.g. of the type used in various late model Bosch setups. In my case, I used 2009+ vette hubs all around.

I sourced my system, less hubs but complete with wire harness, for less than $4K from Curt Jung at Jung Motorsports, 713-447-5864. Don't quote me on the price, it may have changed by now! I chose a basic Teves setup with the same controller and calibration used in the road car, but it has worked very well for me in the last 2 years of track days in my 69 Camaro. There are more advanced Teves motorsport setups as well, Curt can give you details.

I'm personally upgrading to the killer Bosch M4 ClubSport system, but that is serious $$ even if you find a more price friendly overseas dealer.

Scott

I have not used this but I know people who have and said it worked fine.

Mark