Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 AM

9 bolts are plentiful
C clips are not allowed at the track
9 bolts are cheaper
9 bolt snouts are a bit stronger in the snout area (Moser 12 bolts have a beefed up snout area btw)
Old 02-19-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Its all in fun, loosen up.

You changed your tune pretty quick from they do not come that way, to you ordered that way. Yes, it was orderd that way. That is how I now they come that way. No, I am not taking it personal, I have actually been getting a pretty good laugh at how upset your were getting at something so trivial in life as this. You seemed to be wound up pretty tight and need to loosen up. It is called sarcasm. My original thread was intended to be sarcastic. There is not a person out there that would think of putting a ford powerplant in their GM car, so why put a 9" in it. That is all it was about. Most people do not need the added features a 9" has to offer for their inteded use of the beautiful pro-touring cars. Most cars a built for the appearence, creature comforts and a better all around ride. Plenty of people sacrifice some performance for that correct look they are trying to achieve.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Pro touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWG
9 bolts are plentiful
C clips are not allowed at the track
9 bolts are cheaper
9 bolt snouts are a bit stronger in the snout area (Moser 12 bolts have a beefed up snout area btw)
Yes 9" rears are plentiful. C-clips at the track, depends on the class, at least in the area where I reside, 9" rears are cheaper if you are comparing it to a camaro/nova 12 bolt. If you are going to buy new, not much of a difference in price. Yes 9" rears are stronger as you said. If I was building a 1/4 mile race car as with my 67 nova(which has a 9" w/strange spool, nodular center section, aluminum pinion support, 35 spline axles and 5/8" studs), a 9" would be the obvious choice. Since this is pro-touring web site the thread was not aimed at drag cars.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969Crossram
My original thread was intended to be sarcastic. There is not a person out there that would think of putting a ford powerplant in their GM car, so why put a 9" in it. That is all it was about.
What about Ron DeRadd's twin turbo 302 Ford into a 68 Camaro then eh?
http://users.adelphia.net/~rderaad/index.htm

Go on, be a hater.

Tyler
Old 02-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

This thread is hilareous - if it didn't look like an add for a couple of guys I would have thought I was on a kinder, gentler cc.com - but I'll pipe in anyways.

Another obvious reason that some of the more seriously built pt cars run ford 9" rears is that you can't run a 12 bolt with many of the aftermarket rear suspension offerings.

And comments about rear end strength being somehow less of an issue with pt cars vs straight line cars is definately naive. A lot of the members on this site push their cars hard in addition to putting a lot of miles - often spirited miles - on their cars. Generalities about how people will use their cars are just that - generalities.

You're choice for a rear end was obviously a personal choice and you seem pleased enough with your decision so congratulations on that.
1969 Camaro - Dusty

Last edited by James OLC; 02-19-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:47 PM

The only one around here that has changed their tune, not to mention their song and dance, is some FNG known as 1969Crossram.

The "standard" housing end for the new 12 bolt is the GM mid-size bearing cup. Afterall, the 12 bolt and the mid-size GM bearing cups and their respective bolt pattern... are standard General Motors components. The new 12 bolt differential housing only comes with big bearing Ford ends if you order it that way. So, I am glad to see that you pony'ed up to that one finally.

Although possibly beyond your comprehension, I am not at all worked up over this in the least. Lemmings will be lemmings... but to see you hide your lament and chidingly misdirection, is the icing on the cake.

You do however, have a lot to learn about sarcasm (see above statement). You also have a lot to learn about the people on this board. With 14 posts... we'll leave this as your one and only reprieve.

And lastly... just as another venerable F-body master, Teetoe Jones, has pointed out... there are quite a few early and late model F-bodies (and other types) that are running cross bread.

Nice back peddling though...

Last edited by chicane; 02-19-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Default And your point is???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetoe_Jones
What about Ron DeRadd's twin turbo 302 Ford into a 68 Camaro then eh?
http://users.adelphia.net/~rderaad/index.htm

Go on, be a hater.

Tyler
What is that, 1 in how many hundreds. Find a some more and you will have a point. Do you have a ford motor in your GM car? Would you put one in it? If you think a 12 bolt would not hold up to the rigors for the few who push their p/t cars to limit, you are wrong. Also, the two camaros you thought I was advertising for was just to show you how much abuse and power a well set-up 12 bolt can handle. A 1.3 short time (w/a 406)isn't too shabby. I think you will have to agree with that. When is the last time you saw a p/t car launch as hard as that car does with such a low 60' time? Rears see much of their abuse from a dead stop launching a 3000+ lb. car with a trans brake than a p/t car on a road course, or cruising cross country. Many aftermarket set ups will not accomadate a 12 bolt? You say many, I can think of Lateral Dynamics. What is the many you are referring to? DSE's stuff works fine with a 12 bolt. I have their quadra link for my 69, and their spring kit in my garage for my friends 69. Most guys build their p/t car do drive and enjoy. Their are the few willing to push their car to the limit and risk damaging it. Most would not want to risk all the time, money and sweat they have in their cars. Would you be willing to risk your $50,000 to $100,000 investment? I know I work too hard for my money to take a chance and push my car to the extreme and possibly smack a wall with it.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Default shwoooo I've been givin a reprieve form chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
The only one around here that has changed their tune, not to mention their song and dance, is some FNG known as 1969Crossram.

The "standard" housing end for the new 12 bolt is the GM mid-size bearing cup. Afterall, the 12 bolt and the mid-size GM bearing cups and their respective bolt pattern... are standard General Motors components. The new 12 bolt differential housing only comes with big bearing Ford ends if you order it that way. So, I am glad to see that you pony'ed up to that one finally.

Although possibly beyond your comprehension, I am not at all worked up over this in the least. Lemmings will be lemmings... but to see you hide your lament and chidingly misdirection, is the icing on the cake.

You do however, have a lot to learn about sarcasm (see above statement). You also have a lot to learn about the people on this board. With 14 posts... we'll leave this as your one and only reprieve.

And lastly... just as another venerable F-body master, Teetoo Jones, has pointed out... there are quite a few early and late model F-bodies (and other types) that are running cross bread.

Nice back peddling though...

I did not specify it when it was orderded. They recomended for the application. If you read the post correctly you would see I never said I specified it that way. I merely said it was ordered that way. Theres no coming clean, I have one like that, big deal. I needed to tell you that why? I only told you because you were so persistant in the fact that you cannot get it that way. As far as the criticism of Moser. They appear to be doing something right. They have been in the racing world for a long time. If you are not upset, it sure doesn't come through that way in your post. SO let me get this straight, I need to tell you I have something in order for you not to say that it can't be bought that way. So there a couple cross breads (is that politically correct to use those words?) out of hundreds and hundreds. Hardly makes a point. You wear your buttons on your forhead for the pushin. You a pretty easy to get all fired up. I am bowing down to you. Thank for the reprieve. Do not know what I would have done without your mercy.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Default above

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot04
This thread is hilareous - if it didn't look like an add for a couple of guys I would have thought I was on a kinder, gentler cc.com - but I'll pipe in anyways.

Another obvious reason that some of the more seriously built pt cars run ford 9" rears is that you can't run a 12 bolt with many of the aftermarket rear suspension offerings.

And comments about rear end strength being somehow less of an issue with pt cars vs straight line cars is definately naive. A lot of the members on this site push their cars hard in addition to putting a lot of miles - often spirited miles - on their cars. Generalities about how people will use their cars are just that - generalities.

You're choice for a rear end was obviously a personal choice and you seem pleased enough with your decision so congratulations on that.
Read above quote titled your point is, in response to your thread thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

doesn't appear any more tech info is coming out of this one, so I'll close it.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit