Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM

Question Tire help and advise????????

I love the look of the "Firestone Wide Ovals" or "Goodyear polyglass" Bias-Ply tires on early 70's 2nd gen Camaro's with 15" 5 spoke Z28/rally rims and have the following question.........Are these tires "really that bad" as far as ride and handling & stopping goes??????? I fully appreciate that they're not radials and it's been way to long since I've been in a car running bias-ply to remember the ride....

If they are really that bad for a daily driver, then can anyone recommend a tire that shares the profile/shape and look of the original bias-ply tires???? I see so many people running BFG and I guess they're ok, but I really prefer the look/profile of the old Bias-Ply tires....

Also on a seperate note......Does anyone know what the modern day equvalent tire to the old BFG GR/50/15's would be in todays measurements (ie. BFG265/50 or 40/15 as a random example of estimating size only) .....I remember running BFG GR50's back in the day on my Trans Am's???????

Please post your thoughts and any possible considerations about the tires and options available to achieve the desired appearence/stance.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 AM

Well, If you like the look then thats what you should get.
My partner had a set of redlines on on a L79 Nova. Man those things would get flat spots in them just sitting in the shop waiting for a weekend cruise.The first 4/5 miles would about knock your teeth out until the tire's warmed up. And best I remember they would track really bad as well.
We are a Coker Tire Dealer so what ever way you decide we can help you out.
Good luck.
Tim