Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Issues with Baer brakes

I ran a track event at Road America yesterday and had an issue with the brake system. I have bled the system to death and still can't seem to get it to work right. The only way to get good pedal feel is to pump the pedal once or twice. When I try to bleed them, no more air comes out.

The system: Baer supplied cast master cylinder (manual) which is supposed to be 15/16 bore. I am not sure of the diameter of the stainless lines I had a local shop make. 6 piston front calipers and single piston pbr calipers on the rear.

I had a line loc on the car when I had the lines bent and at the time wanted to keep it. The fab guy had the idea to use the line loc solenoid as a tee between the front brakes. Could this be my issue? I have no brake fluid leakage and yes, I attached the pushrod to the recommended hole in the pedal.

Any ideas?

99 Miata LS6
67 Camaro Street Fighter 599 HP L92-SOLD
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

You need to use 2lb residual valves..... They will keep a constant 2lbs of pressure between the pads and disc and will not allow the pads to back off from the rotor. I think this may be your problem.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 PM

I see you're running the 6S fixed mount calipers... pad knockback might be your problem. Check for loose wheelbearings or excessive rear axle sideplay; either of these issues will allow the disc to knock the pads back into the calipers during high cornering loads making for a very low (or no!) pedal on the first application after a hard corner since you have to first push the pads back against the rotor before being able to clamp down on them. Floating calipers help mitigate this problem as they can move with disc/wheelbearing movement, but with fixed calipers any flex results in the pads & pistons being pushed back into the caliper body.

A residual pressure valve is not needed with discs unless the master cylinder is mounted lower than the calipers.

Last edited by Blown353; 04-15-2007 at 10:15 PM.