Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

Calm down and think longer term.
I don't do calm very well. But when i do, i jump for joy.

I hear what your saying though...as i've been trying to "average in", i'm just looking for those fundamental changes we've spoken about in the past....

cheers, mike
Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 PM

I’m not sure if anyone has suggested this maybe they did there are 600 pages. I also don’t know how much money you have to play with. With all that being said try to buy some property and rent it. My rentals bring around 10% return. If you have some free time and a little more money get into flipping properties/condos etc.especially if your handy. I’m sure you are because your in this forum and a lot of diyers are here. That obviously requires more money. Also unless you are in Kansas short term like less than a year. Do Not Rent. Buy a property for you to live in so you are not just throwing out money in rent. Better to pay your mortgage than someone else’s mortgage. Buy something that needs some light work like updating bathrooms or kitchen. Put some lipstick on it and your free time. When it comes time to sell maybe you will make 50k. There are also ways you can get into flipping while not using your own money. Easiest way is you get an equity line of credit on your home or your parents home (once you find an actual property to flip that’s the hardest part) doesn’t matter the interest rate as long as you can borrow enough to buy and renovate then sell. Within 6 months (depending how long Reno takes) you will have that line of credit paid off plus some extra money on your proceeds which you should use for the next flip.

Think of it this way, money opens doors for you to make more money. That’s why rich will always get richer and poor will always get poorer. Never let your money just sit in a savings account or IRS or mutual fund because then the bank uses your money to make themselves richer. Use what you have saved up. I’m sure in Kansas there has to be properties that are 50k. Maybe you polish that terd and make it move in condition and make 10-20k

Last edited by joeko23; 08-08-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Mike, Jim Cramer was banned from trading (stocks) years ago. He had a hedge fund and did . . . typical hedge fund things, but got caught; he is an entertaining and knowledgeable guy (TV personality!), but he's telling you (literally) yesterday's news. Sites like Motley Fool are paid to pump stocks (by writing crap that makes them sound appealing), which leads to buying in the midst of a (sometimes institutional/insider) dump. CNBC is designed to sell advertising, itself, and services, like all TV.

With easy "information," you get what you pay for, which is nothing. Read Benjamin Graham, maybe some George Soros, and use the education features that come with trading accounts you can get through companies like TD Ameritrade (or others) for free. Try a book like Trading (or Investing) For Dummies--it sounds offensive, but the information tends to be pretty good. Most books you'll find at Barnes and Noble on investing, however, tend to be junk. There's some decent content on YouTube . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Who do you all read/watch for business/trading news

Morningstar?
Motley Fool?(fee based i believe)
CNBC?
Bloomberg?
Seeking Alpha?
Cramer? (Mad Money)

suggestions? experiences with reliability....

Last edited by rustomatic; 08-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustomatic For This Useful Post:
glassman (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Mike, Jim Cramer was banned from trading (stocks) years ago. He had a hedge fund and did . . . typical hedge fund things, but got caught; he is an entertaining and knowledgeable guy (TV personality!), but he's telling you (literally) yesterday's news. Sites like Motley Fool are paid to pump stocks (by writing crap that makes them sound appealing), which leads to buying in the midst of a (sometimes institutional/insider) dump. CNBC is designed to sell advertising, itself, and services, like all TV.

With easy "information," you get what you pay for, which is nothing. Read Benjamin Graham, maybe some George Soros, and use the education features that come with trading accounts you can get through companies like TD Ameritrade (or others) for free. Try a book like Trading (or Investing) For Dummies--it sounds offensive, but the information tends to be pretty good. Most books you'll find at Barnes and Noble on investing, however, tend to be junk. There's some decent content on YouTube . . .
No doubt, i hear what your saying. I just want to keep up with fundamental changes of the larger companies we invest in. Like new products, or change in leadership, etc etc....
I, like many of us here, very much subscribe to the Peter Lynch (One Up On Wall Street '87, head of the Fidelity Magellan fund 80's and 90's) school of thought. "If you like it, or theres a line, buy the stock/business"

KISS

thanx for all your feedback, appreciate it, mike
Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM

I like Motley Fool.. but with some caveats.

They seem to have two lines of web fronts.

Option A.. is using Cramers name all over pump and dump articles. It's click bait.

Option B.. Is a podcast that generally just gives a state of the union on the market for that week (report on earning calls etc). They also have a subscription option that they have a variety of profiles that has stock picks selected. I don't see how that could be viewed as pump and dump as they show you buy date / buy price / and if they sell etc. I've know a few people that just do option B and buy the same day and sell the same day and they have had a nice return for many years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Try2paz For This Useful Post:
glassman (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Remember please -- the basics -- you don't need Motely TOOL --- or CNBC -- or the wall street journal. If you think you do -- then you've misread everything here.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Interesting

Great read --- guy retires at 34 with 200K "passive" income... passive being -- it's not EARNED income == so taxes for the most part are going to be very favorable....

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-estate-2018-8
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
captainofiron (09-12-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Today is a CLASSIC example of why it's so wrong to attempt to "time" the market....

If you've been holding WALMART --- you just picked up 10% gain....

This is exactly what happens OVER TIME..... but you have to be a holder (not just this name) to ride the big jumps....

Of course -- if you're not really an "investor" -- then you'll be out when things go great and in when they suck.

Remember -- in many cases - your leaders will change!! I've had a loser in ETP for a very long time - it went from hero to zero when oil tanked..... but now -- is a gainer again. YEAH -- it's tough to hold while it's glowing red... but overall -- I believed in the original thesis... "they have the pipes" -- oil and gas flow thru pipes. Not trying to sell it -- just trying to use this as one example.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
toy71camaro (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Today is a CLASSIC example of why it's so wrong to attempt to "time" the market....

If you've been holding WALMART --- you just picked up 10% gain....

This is exactly what happens OVER TIME..... but you have to be a holder (not just this name) to ride the big jumps....

Of course -- if you're not really an "investor" -- then you'll be out when things go great and in when they suck.

Remember -- in many cases - your leaders will change!! I've had a loser in ETP for a very long time - it went from hero to zero when oil tanked..... but now -- is a gainer again. YEAH -- it's tough to hold while it's glowing red... but overall -- I believed in the original thesis... "they have the pipes" -- oil and gas flow thru pipes. Not trying to sell it -- just trying to use this as one example.
Nice boost for MCD too.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:27 PM

I'm only up 62% in MCD. wish it was more lol.

Long haul.

Still having fun buying and selling melted sand. Cept' for the people..
WILWAXU (08-17-2018)