Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default What did your project start out looking like?

Was it a rust bucket? A daily driver? a X-code car, say an X22 or an X33? what did you have invested when you got started?
Here is way I ask, I have owned a 69 camaro for about all of my 25 years of adult driving. A little over a year ago, was in Phoenix, AZ and went with a friend to look at some cars in his 69 convertible, From that minute on, I was HOOKED Within 72 hrs. I flew over 7000 miles and purchased my first pace car. Dont get me wrong, I still love the coupes also, I have 2 of them. But here is why I ask the question above.
I have a coupe that I have 3000.00 in but it need both full quarters, Do to being a drag car. it will need all floors from front to the rear tail panel and could use outer rocker panels if I ever wanted to put her back on the street, OR, I have this pace car here, (Scott, Could you post the pic for me? I will email it to you) When I got it, It was a runner, but it was ready for restoration but the flooors, trunk pans, shock towers, fenders and the left 1/4 is solid. The only spot needing attention is the right 1/4 just above the wheel opening and the dash panel has some minimum rust. This car still has all its original metal plus only has 54K documented miles. It does not have original motor ot trans though. I could sell alot of the parts off this car, rearend, cowl air cleaner for an automatic, brake master cylinder and booster etc,etc,etc. to recoupe some of the 21K that was spent to purchase this car.
I want to install the DS&E quadra link system with the big wheel tubs, along with a mild mannered LSx engine and 6 spd. gearbox. So I guess where im going, is I could spend another 30K restoring it and sell it for between 50K and 60K, since its not NOM motor and trans, no POP either, I cannot get in touch with original owner, got his name and number, But no one ever awnsers the phone. or I could spend 30K on it and make it a nice PT car and sell for about the same monies. Just the world is less 1 original restored Z11 pace car? What would you do???
Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 PM

the coupe sounds like the better ultimate pt car honestly.... if it already needs all the tin replaced... why not go about it with race car inspiration...using just the shell

the conv sounds really really nice... i would probably restore it even without the vin matching engine/trans. but thats just me
Old 09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Supporting Member

I personally wouldn't do anything that can't be "undone" later to any rare car. Keep the modifications to basic bolt-ons, and keep the original parts.

Personally, I like coupes better, especially for a PT car, so I would start with that one

I bought my '69 malibu for $500 as a rusty driver car with an excellent interior. I'll never restore a rusty car again ...way too much work.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Go nuts on the coupe. Or do good bolt on stuff to the vert. You can make it extremely nice without cutting it up. The DSE quadra-link out back, Wayne Due front, LSx motor, and without leafs out back you could probably run 11" wheels out back in the stock hole.

Mike
Old 09-06-2005, 04:31 PM

TO answer your question, my '68 was 85% done, with 85% to go. Had fresh laquer red paint, partially redone interior, fresh 350hp 327 Vette motor with fres Slip-n-Slide tranny, and nothing done underneath or anything hooked up. had to take the car half way apart to hook it all up and finish the car. Paid $3800 for it in '93.

Mike
Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Administrator

ANYTHING can be un-done, all you need is a welder, a plasma cutter, and the latest Rick's 1st Gen catalog.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Supporting Member

I thought the biggest tire you can get in factory wheel wells was 18x9.5 didnt think about this, but you can go to www.chuckstoys.com and you can see this car, I think there is only 1 pic now, When my son gets home i will get him to load more.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:17 AM

To answer your first question. Mine was a total piece of crap when I bought it. I converted more stuff over than you even want to hear. Standard to RS front end, Stock interior to 2002 trans am interior, replaced fender, driver rear quarter, lowered, bla bla bla. So I will post a few pics for inspiration instead of typing for an hour about it. See pics below for this paragraph. I love doing bodywork and sheetmetal fabrication so working on a crappy car doesnt bother me at all. The car looked great until I started taking the primer off. Then there was just bondo everywhere and holes.
To answer your other question about what YOU should do. That is completely up to you. Do you want to replace lots of sheet metal on the coupe or woudl you rather work on a car that already has a lot of good sheet metal like your convertible?

--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

Last edited by CAMAROBOY69; 09-07-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Rust bucket here

I pulled my car out of this old dude Sams back yard. Notice the protective layer of mold. Also pay attention to the fact that it is a 67 with 68 grill lights and interior. The before it came off the road many years before I got it they were actually driving it around with tags that were registered to 68 that was totaled the registration that was in the car did not match the vin. They did a body swap when there 68 was wrecked and never bothered with any of the paper work. Sam found the right title so it was all good.

Last edited by B Schein; 09-07-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:54 AM

Apparently the file type of my pictures is invalid that’s why they don’t show up I have no idea how to change them. I am really dumb when it comes to that type of stuff.