Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFTRACER View Post
Oh NO !! The Corvette guy has stopped lurking and joined this board.....

I think there are some misconceptions here and people harping on one single comment, that I should not have made. Awful easy to take things out of context , try looking at page one of the thread on corvetteforum also.

Yes, I got "rich by winning the lottery" , and fielded a C6 Corvette at this years OUSCI, and I guess that I am guilty because we won with a "new" car. Nevermind any of the other new cars there this year, or that have competed in years past. Last I remember, this is not a Pro-Touring event, but a search for the Ultimate Street Car. I have watched this event as said for several years before I earned my invite. This was a privateer entry too, not some "in house" car or manufacturer car. With way less resources than some of the other top 10 cars.

Some of you have judged without knowing anything other than hearsay, and because I fielded a new car this year, I supposedly have no love for the older cars . Those that have cast stones do not know me very well. I am in FACT a lover of all cars, especially Chevrolet's, NEW and OLD. I cut my teeth in OLD GM products , C2's,C3's and 2nd gen Camaros. I still have the 1972 LT-1 Corvette and it will be making venues later this year. Brian Hobaugh remembers the car and knows that it is not slow. This Pro-Touring movement gives me an excuse to play with that car too and it will be a great time.

While I did make an off-handed comment , about the "autograph" on the side of Mark's car, I did not disrespect the fact that his car is an AMAZING piece, it is very well sorted, FAST , beautiful, well engineered and driven. I just thought the "autograph" was slightly grandious. I should not have said what I did, and for that I am sorry. Mark is a very worthy competitor, a great champion and is very worthy of all of his followers. I admire his creations myself and I am sure that I will continue to do so. With that said, Brian, Mary, Mike, also have built awesome cars as well as the other 90% of the cars that were at the OUSCI.

It seems as if some here are operating with chips on their shoulder because they run "old" cars and sometimes they let "new" cars run with them and then the old cars are at a distinct disadvantage. Well, I can tell you that mentality is not completely true. If any of you care to read page one of the above mentioned corvetteforum thread, I ran a bunch of the top pro-touring cars in July for the Chevy Hi-Performance Magazine shootout, and I was faster in three of the Pro-Touring cars than I was in Todd's Corvette. Testiments to the potential of some of these builds. I will agree that on a roadcourse the newer cars will enjoy an aero advantage, but that is it. No one with any of these builds is limited with suspension geometry, power, or technological advances such as ABS or TC. As the years progress the more mainstream this is going to become.

Anyhow, I did not come on here to create a war. Just to clear up some misconceptions and apologize publicly for the off-handed comment that I made on the corvetteforum about the "autograph". Again, sorry Mark and all on this board.
Danny,

Thanks for stopping in. I hope you do decide to stick around. Your perspective is welcomed in my mind. Old vs. new is an argument that will never go away. Just like Ford vs Chevy. Also, just as you mentioned the "old" car drivers get upset when the "new" car drivers look down their noses. This will never go away, but with education comes more understanding. So please, stick around. We would all love to hear more about the car you had at Optima as well as your second gen. Oh, and we all love pictures! Welcome!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Name:  1972 Corvette.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  91.0 KB

Maybe this will help to show that I am and old car kinda guy too......

This was from the RTTH event in 2010.

This car is being "modernized" this year to play in GoodGuys and Pro-Touring event soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Attachment 34273

Maybe this will help to show that I am and old car kinda guy too......

This was from the RTTH event in 2010.

This car is being "modernized" this year to play in GoodGuys and Pro-Touring event soon.
Cool it'll be great to see what you do (updates) with the car Danny,,,,, I think I remember it being stupid fast already at RTTH with you behind the wheel.....
-70 Z shell
-70 Formula shell
-70 Formula roller
-68 Eldorado
-67 Coupe De Ville convertible
Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzz2_ca View Post
Cool it'll be great to see what you do (updates) with the car Danny,,,,, I think I remember it being stupid fast already at RTTH with you behind the wheel.....
Yeah, It was......but I had cheater tires on it at the time. I lose the cheater tires and make all of the updates and it'll probably be a wash time wise..

I do NOT plan on it being slow....there may or may not be another vintage Corvette in the works also...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, It was......but I had cheater tires on it at the time. I lose the cheater tires and make all of the updates and it'll probably be a wash time wise..

I do NOT plan on it being slow....there may or may not be another vintage Corvette in the works also...
Danny,

That is great that you are bringing your 72 Corvette out for these events. I just ran the 65 Corvette this past weekend with the 200 TW tires and it was a blast. In the next year or so I plan on giving the Corvette some updates and run it more. Maybe we can get a rematch of 15 years ago?

Brian

1965 Corvette
1973 Camaro
2003 Z06
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM

The coming year in pro-touring is going to be seeeeeeeensational!

1968 Camaro: "TRACKDAY"

Build In Progress: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10706
Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzz2_ca View Post
i watched him race at Optima. My gut is he would be fast driving a lawn tractor.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:

So Danny, do you do the "Get in someone else's car" and take it around the Auto X and comment about what could be improved?

Going to need some of that coming up----

D
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 PM

You might want to ask Mary, she probably won't tell you to sell it and buy a Corvette.

Couldn't resist.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
i watched him race at Optima. My gut is he would be fast driving a lawn tractor.
He could sit on a frigging sail boat dragging an anchor and make laps faster than 80% of us bud LOL.....
-70 Z shell
-70 Formula shell
-70 Formula roller
-68 Eldorado
-67 Coupe De Ville convertible