Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
I had to work Saturday so I didn't get to work on the car. During the week though I got the wicker bill rough cut, hand filed, and mocked up on the car. I'm thinking about making this out of carbon fiber as well and selling some to recoup car part funds.

Id take a carbon wicker bill too
Old 12-26-2020, 11:51 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Toronto View Post
Are those anvil front fenders?
Look incredible....curious if they fit pretty good out of the box?
thanks
bob
They fit ok. They need work by the windshield and door to fit better. Around the grille and lower valance fit pretty well.

Working on the carbon wicker bills already. Made a test panel to see how well it worked and should have a few ready in February.
syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
They fit ok. They need work by the windshield and door to fit better. Around the grille and lower valance fit pretty well.

Working on the carbon wicker bills already. Made a test panel to see how well it worked and should have a few ready in February.
Im going to msg you on instagram: pro_touring69.toronto
Old 02-14-2021, 10:40 PM

So we're back with work on the Camaro. Well, except this weekend because it was too cold in the shop. The new shop I'm working for is D Built Hotrods. Give us a follow on Facebook or Instagram. Dbuilt.hotrods on Insta and I think its the same on Facebook. CamaroAJ is my personal one where I post the car up.

Anyways I got the car racked up and to work. Last time I worked on the car I made temp brackets because I didn't have any steel to make solid enough brackets to hold things where they needed to be.

With the new brackets made the wheel clears at full lock at ride height. I still have offset upper control arm bushings to install to move the wheel in and get a bit more clearance. Then I use zip screws to hold everything together and sanded the fender to get everything bonded back together.

With the passenger fender ready to bond I test fit the carbon fiber trans tunnel plate that I made and it fit perfectly. Then I pulled the chassis harness out and got it all zip tied up and put away until I'm ready for some more wiring now that I have most of it roughed in.

camcojb (02-15-2021), Che70velle (02-15-2021), fleetus macmullitz (05-30-2021), Goosesdad (02-17-2021), Spiffav8 (02-15-2021), waynieZ (02-18-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 PM

Long overdue post. Sorry to neglect the updates, but I promise I've been busy on the car. I'll start with the "list". I was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have to do still and made a list of things just off the top of my head that needed to be done so I can focus on a task, well try to anyways until I get to a point I need parts or I'm bored with it for the time being.

Next lets tackle the little tasks I've been working on. Anvil stepped up to help me with my project so I was able to mount my mirrors finally. So big thank you to them for sure. I had to do a little sanding to get the trim rings to fit like they should since these are older mirrors before the rings were even a though. After that they were bonded in as well as the base plate using 3M panel bond.

I also started on the frame work for the package tray waterfall since I have no back seats and the fuel tanks are now in that position. This will get more work later as I have to deiced on what size speaker to use and then incorporate a sub box into it.

I did decide to mount my hood release handle when I could get to it pretty easy since I'll have a cage that would block it if I put it in the kick panel.

The accessory drive, the horns, the underhood fuse block, the brake booster vacuum line have all been mounted, and the extension of the center console has been started.

One of my smaller projects has been working on bucks for the tail lamp molds as I plan on making them out of carbon fiber. I don't spend much time on them, just every so often mess with them for a few minuets.

I also started mounting the supercharger cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. I was really happy with their location, but I might end up moving the power steering cooler. As I had some scrap carbon fiber pieces laying around I used them as part of the cooler mounting brackets.

The engine made its way to the machine shop so I had access to the engine bay again. I decided to move my ECM into the car because of a couple other changes I have planned. That gave me room to cut the hole for the grommet I'm using for the pass through. And before you ask, I don't remember what car I pulled it out of. There is no part number on it and it just says Delphi on it. It was one of the many chassis harnesses I replaced at the dealer throughout the years. I also mounted the positive battery cable bulkhead while I was there and did some weld clean up.

I don't like the idea of all the water getting into my engine bay when I wash the car or it rains, so I did some arts and crafts and made a fiberglass rain tray thats removable with a few nuts on the 5th gen hood vent.

572Camaro (05-28-2021), camcojb (05-28-2021), dhutton (05-28-2021), fleetus macmullitz (05-30-2021), zz430droptop67rs (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Wow, nice work!!!!!

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following User Says Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 10:18 AM

Nice update.

I've often wondered about the volume of water & its impact under-hood for all the cars w/the current trend/style of hood vents. Seems it would make keeping a clean engine bay almost impossible.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:57 PM

Thanks guys!

Time for part 2.

Some small stuff I forgot in the last post. The drip rail delete I've started to fully weld. The "body guy" that helped me years ago was wrong on how they should be done so I'm fixing that before it becomes a problem down the road. I metal worked the tubs and got them ready for epoxy and I welded in the edge of the trunk drop to match the wider quarter panel like the other side.

A semi big project I wanted to do was a hood rib delete because of the 5th gen Camaro hood vent. Doing so also required the front valance also be deleted. I needed to do this in stages so that the hood maintained it shape. I supported with clear plexi under the cut out places and laid fresh carbon in a wet layup like you would do with fiberglass and then put a overlapping piece top and bottom to add strength to the joint.

Getting that done I was able to bond the hood vents in. On the side vents after bonding them in I modified the back part so they sat smooth with the hood with some minor fiberglass work. That pretty much wraps up my hood, so it it now ready for body work and paint when I get to that point.

The front lower spoiler is a work in progress. I dabble here and there with it when I'm doing other carbon fiber work. I needed it to be about 3/4" taller, so with pretty much everything else I have from Anvil, I cut it up.

I have been wanting to have a brake cooler duct and another duct to run to the rear for the trans and diff. coolers. My original plan was a set of C7 quarter ducts, but I wasn't able to get the lines right without reall changing the Camaro body lines and I really didn't want to do that. So plan B was to modify the NACA duct in the door/quarter to do both. The wheel well side will duct around and into the brakes kinda like a C6 Corvette did, just with better ducting. The top of the duct will go over the wheel well and through the trunk drop to the diff. cooler on the passenger side. I still need to build the driver side, but it will cooler the trans cooler.

[/url]

Something that has bothered me since the day I welded then in was the finger pockets for the door handles. I made the pockets in a flat piece and then welded in a flat section into a door that is curved. Because there is some support structor in the door no matter what I did I was never able to correct the metal and get the shape it needed to be. So I cut them out and made new panels with the english wheel to add the needed curve.

That brings up to todays update. After a few different designs for the finger pocket for the door handles I just wasn't happy with the shapes. So instead of wasting even more time on them I decided to go with C6 door handles. I made pockets for them to go in the door and then welded them in before metal working them out. Ignore the door edge, it will get finished up when the quarters get welded back on and I can adjust the gaps.

Beechy (05-30-2021), dhutton (05-30-2021), EVIL SS (06-01-2021), fleetus macmullitz (05-30-2021), jarhead (05-30-2021), redfire69 (06-03-2021), zz430droptop67rs (05-30-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:30 PM

Ok lets get up to speed on the last few weeks. I finished up the driver side brake and trans cooler duct.

The engine came back from the machine shop and I'm ready to assemble it once I get a few more bolts and bearings ordered. I still don't know what cam I want to go with either. I started working on the supercharger cover by grinding down the Corvette letters and back filing them with panel bond. On the center console I stared to fiberglass the gap until I ran out of glass. The cover and console are coming along nicely tho.

Most importantly I finally got some epoxy shot on the inner structure and have started the final fitment and welding of the quarters. It took a lot longer then I figured it would to get everything fit and mostly welded up. I still have more welding to do across the top and back before I can grind the welds and start the hammer and dolly process. Big step forward to having a whole car again tho.

camcojb (06-20-2021), Che70velle (06-21-2021), dhutton (06-21-2021), EVIL SS (06-23-2021), Roscoe03 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:04 PM

Good to see updates here. Keep at it man. Love following this build.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
The Following User Says Thank You to Che70velle For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (06-21-2021)