Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-19-2020, 08:12 AM

Default Confusion with front spindle nut tightening!!

Ok guys, finished packing my new Wilwood bearings with grease but I am a bit confused about how to properly proceed with the tightening of the spindle castle nut as I have read so many posts in different forums about the tightening, and not sure what is the correct method. I torqued the nut to 12 ft-lbs while spinning the rotor but confused about the following statements I read in some forums:

- torquing the nut to 12ft. Lbs while spinning the rotor, then back off the nut to the nearest slot to put the cotter pin.

- Torquing the nut to 12ft. Lbs, then back of the nut by “one flat”, not sure what this means,

-or torque the nut to 12 ft. Lbs. Back off the nut till bearing gets unloaded, then hand tighten the nut till snug and put the cotter pin.

Could someone guide me please how to proceed with this because when I torque the nut to 12ft. Lbs, the castle nut slot sometimes is aligned with the hole for the cotter pin or sometimes covering half of the hole. Of course, there is resistance in rotating the rotor at this stage.

If the castle nut is aligned with one of the holes on the spindle, shall I back of the nut by. 1/4 of a turn to get to the other hole to insert the cotter pin or backing it off by full turn and hand tighten it get the castle nut aligned to insert the cotter pin?

Thanks in advance
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 04-19-2020, 03:49 PM

I'd answer you here but I already did on the other site lol
Old 04-19-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
I'd answer you here but I already did on the other site lol
Thanks Ryan, saw your post there.
Sometimes we need to post similar threads in different forums hoping to get answers from the members who could be sometimes in either or both forums 😎
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 04-22-2020, 10:26 AM

I've tried every method and only one offers a consistent preload setting, the Kore3 solid bearing spacer with shims. When properly set up the 0.0015 end play wheel movement is minimized and and bearing life maximized.

1) Install the hub + bearings on to the spindle without grease or the inner seal.

2) Using the provided shims, adjust until an end play of 0.0015" is met.

3) Disassemble and pack the bearings full, internal housing and cap 1/3 - 1/2 full of grease, install the seals, and reassemble using the same shim and spacer pack.

Last edited by CarlC; 04-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlC For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-22-2020), dhutton (04-22-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:14 AM

All the scenarios you have listed are virtually the same, tighten then back off till you can insert the cotter pin. Install the wheel grab the tire fro 12 ang 6 wiggle ato make sure there is not an abundance of play. Drive and re check.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad’s68drop For This Useful Post:
slimjim (04-30-2020)