Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Another Ramsey believer.
The problem is, a person (not neccesarily you) who has bad spending habits and a lot of debt is not going to like what Ramsey is going to tell them to do. His system flat works.

Jeff-
Old 12-30-2009, 02:37 PM

I think the underlying theme here is to make some serious changes in spending and focus on a new program of some sort. The key though is that you have to be willing to make those changes and stay commited to them.
Best of luck! And as with anything involving money do your research before you jump on something that might not be the right move for you.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Blow every penny, it's not going to do you any good when your in the nursing home crapping you're own pants.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
PS --

Forgot the advice I tell my kids and their friends:

You can not SPEND your way to wealth.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A little quickie math:

If you're 21 years old and put away $2000 per year - for 10 years - until you're 31 - and from then on you never add another dime to the savings (just letting the interest compound) - you'll have almost ONE MILLION DOLLARS in savings....

HOWEVER....

If you start this savings account at 31 - and put away $2000 every year for the rest of your life - you won't even be close to the million dollar mark...
That may of worked back when banks gave intrest, cd's had more then 2% return, and you'd be lucky to not be loosing on 401ks and IRA's.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Blow every penny, it's not going to do you any good when your in the nursing home crapping you're own pants.
AMEN!!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Mark --

That why you have to have TIME on your side - thus the early start... interest rates don't stay static for 40 or 50 years...

Plus - it's an over simplification of the process - but the message is SAVE SOME MONEY...

Of course Todds version is more fun... But I can tell you from personal experience - I've been poor - and I've been rich - RICH is way way way way more fun... Money isn't everything - but it beats the hell out of whatever's in second place! And it DOES buy happiness. Just look into Charleys eyes!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM

All I really have other than a mortgage and the usual monthly living expenses are a credit card under $2000 and a car payment with a little more than $10,000 owed. I'm just looking to set myself up a little better with for the future. Whether its by saving, investing or whatever I can do to help secure something for the future. My job pays just enough to cover the bills and little else.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Of course I was kidding to some degree. I wouldn't save every penny waiting for retirement to get killed in a car accident at 42 or think life is going to be at it's high point at 65. Start with making a list of expenses and your average net monthly income. Figure out where you can widdle down your out of pocket cost every month and pay off your worst debt first.

I'm in a similar situation right now. I'm trying to get rid of every bill I can. Mainly so I don't have to work so hard and can take off even more time from the old grind. Luckily I don't have any credit card debt and all my toys are paid for. I recently refinanced my house from a 15 to a 30 after 5 years of paying down the note. That cut it down 1k by itself. Could I have kept making those payments? Yep, but I don't plan to be here forever and I may decide to lease this property instead of sell it down the road. That wouldn't make sense with a 15 year note. I also was able to lock in a 5% 30 year note and the rent would be much more than my payment. I've leased a brand new car for 10 years. 6 years of that being BMW's. I'm done with that crap too. I'm paying cash for my next car. It will be 2 years old with a warranty and I'll get a deal like I just scored on the Tundra I bought for Kelli. My goal is to have my montly nut down to under 2k a month by July. That will allow me to spend more time doing things I want to do than beating the pavement trying to make a sale. Let's face it, the gravy train is over for a while. Life's to short to work all the time. Business expenses are a whole different deal.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

My buddies call and ask me what I'm doing today.... my response... "whatever I feel like"....

Ya know -- Todd has it right - it doesn't take that much "income" if you don't have any "outgo".... and that's the key.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 AM

Money is an excellent servant, but a most tyrannical master.

Happy New Year!
Bill