Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliterides View Post
Just saw this sad story on our news tonight .
Yet another senseless shooting.
The newly elected government needs to act and legislate new gun laws to try and stop this senseless killing.

My sympothies go out to all who have been effected by this latest mass shooting

So what would the "newly elected government" do about it? Outlaw Mental illness? The second amendment in the United States Constitution is the right to keep and bear arms. It's that right that keeps this country safe from invasion IMHO. Who in their right mind would dare to invade a country that has 90 guns per 100 people?

Guns / knives / bombs etc don't kill other people. People kill other people. Should we outlaw people?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I don't want to jack this thread --- so I'll keep this simple.

In response to the "government should do something" statement.

The US murder rate is 4.2 PER 100,000 in population.... We have a very large population so while the rate is low -- the math is high... making it seem like we have an overabundance of these kinds of events.

By contrast -- a favorite east coast vacation spot -- the Bahamas -- has a murder rate of 27.4 per 100,000.... Jamaica's is 52.2 per 100,000... Mexico's is 16.9 per 100,000

Yet we LOVE to go on vacations to these murderous places. Go figure.

The rate of civilian gun ownership in Mexico is 15 per 100 people -- in the USA it's 90 per 100 people.... but Mexico's murder rate is 4 times the rate of the USA. Must be something in the water down there. Jamaica has 8.1 per 100 civilian gun ownership... but their murder rate is 12 times that of the USA.

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 PM

It's impossible to understand why these things happen. I'm with you guys, I was full of rage and very sad thinking of the terror those poor children went through. The horror their parents, siblings, and families will have to endure for life.....

I personally think there are things that can be done to help.

All the video games these kids play today can't be helping the situation. They really need to crack down on all these war games kids can play. It's a bad influence...

We need to protect our children and teachers. We have school police already. Why not have one armed officer on every school grounds? Every door should be lockable. We have metal detectors and scanning equipment to board a plane, why not at the main entrance of a school? You can raise my taxes to protect our children, teachers, and future.....

Get your CCW. The more good guys that carry, the safer our country will become.

Get out there and mentor a child that needs help. I volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters as a Big Brother for an 8 year old that lives in downtown Las Vegas. He doesn't have a father figure in his life. He's a great kid but his enviroment very well could lead him down the wrong road. I'm going to be a postive influence on him as long as possible. I'm already talking to him about doing the right thing, money, nutrition, excercise, education, choices, etc...

If you are a first time gun buyer, you should be required to take some type of course. I had to get a hunters safety card to hunt with my Dad. Why can you go buy a shotgun or handgun without any training? The course should include the potential power and distruction of firearms.

Last edited by Vegas69; 12-15-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
It's impossible to understand why these things happen. I'm with you guys, I was full of rage and very sad thinking of the terror those poor children went through. The horror their parents, siblings, and families will have to endure for life.....

I personally think there are things that can be done to help.

All the video games these kids play today can't be helping the situation. They really need to crack down on all these war games kids can play. It's a bad influence...

We need to protect our children and teachers. We have school police already. Why not have one armed officer on every school grounds? Every door should be lockable. We have metal detectors and scanning equipment to board a plane, why not at the main entrance of a school? You can raise my taxes to protect our children, teachers, and future.....

Get your CCW. The more good guys that carry, the safer our country will become.

Get out there and mentor a child that needs help. I volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters as a Big Brother for an 8 year old that lives in downtown Las Vegas. He doesn't have a father figure in his life. He's a great kid but his enviroment very well could lead him down the wrong road. I'm going to be a postive influence on him as long as possible. I'm already talking to him about doing the right thing, money, nutrition, excercise, education, choices, etc...

If you are a first time gun buyer, you should be required to take some type of course. I had to get a hunters safety card to hunt with my Dad. Why can you go buy a shotgun or handgun without any training? The course should include the potential power and distruction of firearms.

Totally agree.. and thank you for volunteering time to nurture a youngster..
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 PM

It's so easy to blame the guns. Unfortunately outlawing or cracking down on guns, I don't think is the answer. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. It's like everything. Automobiles....If everyone drove sensible, we wouldn't even need speed limits. Alcohol.....if everyone drank responsibly, we wouldn't need laws to restrict how it is used. Guns are no different. It's not the people that are responsible with guns that are the problem, however they are going to be part of the people that have to pay the consequences. If we didn't have terrorists, we all wouldn't need to be searched at airports, etc.
Unfortunately, because of these unresponsible people, I think we all are going to have to go through some extra steps to bear arms. I don't think we should be mad at the officials making the rules. Be mad at the "idiots" that are irresponsible, causing the rules to be made. It really is unfortunate for the responsible people.
Let's play one out. We make it easier for any American to bear arms. One person decides one night he has had enough of his neighbor down the road who is annoying him. This same person over the past 2 years has become mentally unstable due to a divorce, job loss, etc. He digs up a six shooter, goes to his neighbors house who has a complete arsonal of guns and is responsible. The neighbor comes to the door and gets shot with a six shooter. The responsible gun owner is still dead. Unless you know who is going to shoot you, having a gun is kind of usless.
I do think the real answer is stiffer penalties when it does happen, this MAY detour some people from acting the way they do. I still like the law where as soon as someone enters your home, all bets are off. They knew the rules when they stepped over the threshold uninvited! Game on and enter at your own risk. My .02 worth. The whole deal kind of sucks. I'm not a gun toter nor am I an "anti-gun protestor" Just an American who cares about good responsible people.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Some other ideas that have been swimming....

Have an active military officer staffing every school. Don't tell me we can't alternate them and sacrifice their time. We are already paying them. Kelli's brother is a former Marine that is having trouble finding work. What about reservists or retired military?

While it seems like common sense, lock up your guns! Especially if you have kids or mentally disturbed individuals. In that afformentioned class when buying your first firearm, a lecture on buying a SAFE and securing your firearms, ethically.

I'm going to write the Mayor of Henderson and my local representitive with my ideas. Do the same.

Last edited by Vegas69; 12-15-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM

JUST READ THIS

http://www.dailypaul.com/266479/surp...or-ct-shooting

MORGAN FREEMAN ON THE SHOOTINGS YESTERDAY:

"You want to know why. This may soundcynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names,but do you know the name of asingle victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse,and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school?Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster,instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Absolutely, in this day and age, you can let the news suck you down to a low level every day. TV, Radio, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. Bad news sells.... It's not going to change and the sick aren't going to change their ways.

We need to protect our children, end of story.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
So what would the "newly elected government" do about it? Outlaw Mental illness? The second amendment in the United States Constitution is the right to keep and bear arms. It's that right that keeps this country safe from invasion IMHO. Who in their right mind would dare to invade a country that has 90 guns per 100 people?

Guns / knives / bombs etc don't kill other people. People kill other people. Should we outlaw people?
Do you think that you can limit some gun related things that would lessen the damage?

For example the day it happened you mentioned the China attack. The argument there is that it'll happen anyways so don't touch guns.

The difference is in the sheer damage you can do with completely legal gun hardware compared to knives. A bomb also rarely manages to kill so many people as efficiently as an assault rifle can.

I'm not saying you ban guns, but I see only a few valid reasons to have one, and neither requires high capacity clips or a high fire rate for example.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Some other ideas that have been swimming....

Have an active military officer staffing every school. Don't tell me we can't alternate them and sacrifice their time. We are already paying them. Kelli's brother is a former Marine that is having trouble finding work. What about reservists or retired military?

While it seems like common sense, lock up your guns! Especially if you have kids or mentally disturbed individuals. In that afformentioned class when buying your first firearm, a lecture on buying a SAFE and securing your firearms, ethically.

I'm going to write the Mayor of Henderson and my local representitive with my ideas. Do the same.
Ok members, I have to ask. As many of you have already noticed, there are two threads that have seemed to run next t each other the last few days.
"Shooting in CT" and "Best Handgun for home protection".
That being said, for all the "home use" people, are you locking them up when not used or are they in a location that someone other than you will have a hard time finding them? Just asking and maybe it will save a life