Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Your views on guns.

I was watching (drumroll, don't kill me I just was watching it) American Chopper (BOOM!) and the guys from Red Jacket built a shotgun for Mikey, and when he was shooting he got hurt (he got a cut on his finger while charging the gun), so I tought, can anyone just get a licence to carry a gun? Like, do they give them away at the drugstores?

I mean, I know it's a good idea to have a gun, for you own protection, I think in Mexico it should be allowed too, you know, with some limitations, like getting a licence to carry a gun and stuff like that.

But, what do you have to do to get a licence? It seems to me that it's too easy. With all those shootings and stuff, can really anyone get a licence? Or a gun without it?

Don't flame, just discuss.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

The laws are different all over this country. In my state (California) you need to pass a background check to purchase a gun from a dealer. There is a ten day waiting period before you can take possession of the gun. That lets you have the gun in your home.

To be able to transport the gun to the range, vacation, etc. it needs to be locked up in the trunk (unloaded) or in a lock box if inside the cab of a truck or car. The ammo needs to be separate from the gun.

Open carry for handguns was just stopped recently here (you used to be able to carry a gun in the open as long as it wasn't loaded). I believe rifles and shotguns can still open carry, but again must be unloaded, so they're basically a club at that point. To be able to carry the handgun (concealed) on your body requires a separate license. Not all states or counties allow concealed carry. Here you have to make an appointment with the sheriffs dept., show reasonable cause for needing the gun on your person, pass a local and FBI background check including Livescan of your fingerprints, and then pass a 16 hour safety and licensing course, with both written and actual shooting tests. Costs $400 or so for everything.

The entire process can take 9 months or longer depending on how far backed up they are, and if they are accepting applications at all.

In California if you're a felon, have a restraining order or domestic violence in your past you will not be allowed to purchase a gun (legally).

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM

"I believe rifles and shotguns can still open carry, but again must be unloaded"

I was talking about guns with with an LA county Sheriff we race with and he told me, it is NOT allowed anymore in Ca

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexMan View Post
I was watching (drumroll, don't kill me I just was watching it) American Chopper (BOOM!) and the guys from Red Jacket built a shotgun for Mikey, and when he was shooting he got hurt (he got a cut on his finger while charging the gun), so I tought, can anyone just get a licence to carry a gun? Like, do they give them away at the drugstores?

I mean, I know it's a good idea to have a gun, for you own protection, I think in Mexico it should be allowed too, you know, with some limitations, like getting a licence to carry a gun and stuff like that.

But, what do you have to do to get a licence? It seems to me that it's too easy. With all those shootings and stuff, can really anyone get a licence? Or a gun without it?

Don't flame, just discuss.
How do you know Mikey had a license?
Most states require a class and a shooting range test before issuing a license to carry permit. You can read under the shall issues title the requirements here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceal..._United_States
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
"I believe rifles and shotguns can still open carry, but again must be unloaded"

I was talking about guns with with an LA county Sheriff we race with and he told me, it is NOT allowed anymore in Ca
The local range just told me a couple months ago that it was still legal in my county (Sacramento), but I'd opt for law enforcement over their opinion. Maybe it's not a state-wide deal.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM

In Tennessee, you need to pass a background check to purchase a handgun, or certain rifles. I think a shotgun can be purchased without a check, but I could be wrong.

To carry a firearm, whether open or concealed, you must take a class and pass a proficiency test. You cannot carry in anyplace whose primary business is the selling of alcohol, or in anyplace properly marked.

Criminals, of course, ignore all these laws.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Sorry Mex Man --- but the reason MEXICO is so F'd up with drug gangs etc killing off entire towns --- is because there's no citizens that can defend themselves....

The best defense is a great offense.... and in America --- the citizens would be kicking those sorry drug gangs asses if they came into town guns blazing...
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM

Here in Georgia, it takes about 3 weeks to get your carry permit, and roughly $50.00. We can conceal, or carry the weapon in open site in our vehicles.
I own many weapons of all types, from handguns to assault rifles, and own many thousand rounds of ammunition. I live in a VERY rural part of the state, and get the opportunity to shoot often, WITH my son who is nine. I never bring a gun into my home without him looking at it, and me showing him how it works and operates. My son knows very well how to handle and shoot my handguns and small caliber rifles, and he is very aware that if he ever wants to shoot, all he has to do is ask, and WE will shoot. Of course everything is in a gun safe, with the exception of one 9mm, just in case somebody who just made a very bad choice decides to enter my home in the incorrect fashion. I am a gun safety nazi, and I believe that training kids correctly is a must, because I was trained correctly as a child.
This thread will probably open a can of worms.
My opinion of a "license" is that it will keep an honest person who wants to be on the right side of the law in check, and of course the criminal in this case, couldn't care less about licenses, or laws.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Just need 3 brave men GW!!!
www.fquick.com/shmoov69
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Mexxy ---

I have a conceal carry permit in my home state of Washington -- and a CC permit for Utah -- which has more "reciprocal" agreements with other states I go thru....

I've signed up for a 4 day tactical hand gun class the week after SEMA... and I belong to the Seattle Police Athletic Academy -- which has a range for all manor of guns.

Not everyone is an irresponsible murderer just because they have guns and ammo...
Closed Thread