Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Senior mex, just protect yourself and carry a bow and arrow. Two deter thieves have a machete on your hip.

Without proper training a gun will just be used to kill you.

Some CA cities have already put a ban on open carry long guns.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM

ive got my conceal and carry, but do not carry. just when I travel.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexMan View Post
I was watching (drumroll, don't kill me I just was watching it) American Chopper (BOOM!) and the guys from Red Jacket built a shotgun for Mikey, and when he was shooting he got hurt (he got a cut on his finger while charging the gun), so I tought, can anyone just get a licence to carry a gun? Like, do they give them away at the drugstores?

I mean, I know it's a good idea to have a gun, for you own protection, I think in Mexico it should be allowed too, you know, with some limitations, like getting a licence to carry a gun and stuff like that.

But, what do you have to do to get a licence? It seems to me that it's too easy. With all those shootings and stuff, can really anyone get a licence? Or a gun without it?

Don't flame, just discuss.
Forgive if I'm reading too much into this, but I think you may be asking two seperate questions. Based on the context of the first part of the statement above, you seem to be asking if you need a license to exercise ownership. But you also ask about carrying a gun, which is an entirely seperate entity than just owning a gun. Most of the replies you have received so far are about carrying a firearm on your person, either concealed or open, which has a whole different set of requirements from simply owning a firearm of any sort.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Senior mex, just protect yourself and carry a bow and arrow. Two deter thieves have a machete on your hip.

Without proper training a gun will just be used to kill you.
I hope this is said in jest.

I agree with Greg, a large part of Mexico's issues start with a society that is not permitted to protect itself. It is like lambs at a slaughter.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfast View Post
I hope this is said in jest.

I agree with Greg, a large part of Mexico's issues start with a society that is not permitted to protect itself. It is like lambs at a slaughter.
what part? Some sections of mexico are very rough. A person carrying is an easy target for hardened criminals. Even cops can get disarmed in a scuffle.

Bow and arrows a nice, cheap and quiet.

Machette, yeah that was tongue and cheek. But no one usually messes with a guy and a machette.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 05-07-2013, 11:01 PM

Hey Vince, I am in the middle of wyoming, In the middle of a reservation, If you need some more Bows and Arrows I can get you some. I traded mine in for a Ar-15 it's easier to pull back.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Machette, yeah that was tongue and cheek. But no one usually messes with a guy and a machette.
Not anymore... Actually they won't mess with anoyne else anymore...

The real question here (sorry if I didn't make myself clear) is, what does it take to get a licence to own/carry (because now I know its two different cases)? Is it neccesary some kind of background check, like, psychological, economic and/or social? I mean, you guys check all that stuff to a potential cookie buyer, why not for guns (if that were the case)?

Anyway, I'm getting a slingshot.

The real problem here in Mexico (as I know because I live in the most dangerous area of the country) is that the authority wont even do their jobs, nor they're able to. Also, it's like watching try to slay a Komodo Dragon with a paperclip.

Last edited by mexMan; 05-07-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexMan View Post
Not anymore... Actually they won't mess with anoyne else anymore...

The real question here (sorry if I didn't make myself clear) is, what does it take to get a licence to own/carry (because now I know its two different cases)? Is it neccesary some kind of background check, like, psychological, economic and/or social? I mean, you guys check all that stuff to a potential cookie buyer, why not for guns (if that were the case)?

Anyway, I'm getting a slingshot.

The real problem here in Mexico (as I know because I live in the most dangerous area of the country) is that the authority wont even do their jobs, nor they're able to. Also, it's like watching try to slay a Komodo Dragon with a paperclip.
Owning a gun and carrying a gun are two separate issues in the eyes of the law. Also, keep in mind that certain states within the US have more strict laws. Off the top of my head, they are, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, and there are probably a few more that I am missing. The rest of the country has less restrictive laws.

If you buy a gun from any FFL (federal firearms license) dealer they will run a background check. The background checks are handled by the FBI and tap into various state and federal databases to determine if you are a convicted felon (prior hardcore criminal). If you have never been convicted of a felony, then you are able to purchase the gun. Some states have a waiting period, so you can't walk out with the gun same day. Most states do not, and you can walk out with a firearm in as long as it takes to run the background check (usually less than an hour). There are no other tests or requirements to own a firearm. The more restrictive states that I mentioned above, have other requirements, but I can't get into the details, because I choose to avoid those states if at all possible.

In order to carry a gun, loaded, on your person, most states require a permit. Arizona (and maybe another state) have what is called "constitutional carry." In other words, as long as you can legally own a gun (see above) then you can carry it on your person. There may be subtle distinctions as to whether the gun is in plain sights or concealed. Again, this varies by state. I live in TN, so I can break down exactly what the las is here. In order to carry a handgun, loaded, on my person or in my vehicle, I need a permit. In order to get a permit there is a required 8 hour class that covers basic firearm safety and some range time. Once the class is taken, you have to get fingerprinted, and then you can apply for a permit. As long as you are not a felon, have met the classroom requirement, and paid a fee (I think it is about $100), then you will be issued a carry permit. In TN you can carry open or concealed.

If you want to know the details of the carry laws in all the states, you can browse this website:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

You will see that some states are "shall issue" while others are "may issue" and Illinois is the only state that "will not issue," but that is about to change.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Andrew
Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Here in Washington state it was as easy as filling out paperwork at the courthouse getting finger printed and waiting. Just under $60.00 and about 3 weeks later I had my cpl.

I've since learned that owning and operating firearms is a lot like hot rods, it's not cheap and you have to have more than one.

It's legal to open carry in my state, I've tried it and didn't like the attention. Concealed in general public for this guy.

Dan
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

When you have to get a "permit", it ceases to be a right. The 2nd amendment is your permit. Carry on.