Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts
Default WELD/SUTTON DIRT MISSILE build

Since the 40 Ford P/U is just about going to paint..... here's another little project we're working on... a new race car....

See more details here.....

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56208

Name:  70 Mustang body side.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  70 Mustang Body.jpg
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1485.jpg
Size:  279.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1486.jpg
Size:  253.2 KB
Old 03-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Further along then Dave’s “7 Year Itch” on the first post...well played.

Lookin forward to this one coming together, it’s going to be a rocket!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 PM

Shouldn't the title be "SUTTON / weld" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Further along then Dave’s “7 Year Itch” on the first post...well played.
What a Richard.....
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 PM

When I first saw Ron's list of potential fiberglass bodies I couldn't believe it. I was like well okay those are prototype bodies that someone is going to make if you buy one, cuz I can't believe those bodies are out there and available for purchase because I've never heard of them.

But there it is, widebodied no less. I don't know what those bodies cost but geez to create a wide body mold and then build a body of which I believe the count is one, just blows me away. I mean just commissioning a fiberglass wide body Mustang seems like it would be a project in itself.

Beyond that I just love Ron's chassis designs, so amazingly functional. I've seen a lot of fancy chassis being built, but when I see one of Ron's I"m like yup that is exactly each bar needed and nothing extraneous.

Looking forward to watching this one.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
When I first saw Ron's list of potential fiberglass bodies I couldn't believe it. I was like well okay those are prototype bodies that someone is going to make if you buy one, cuz I can't believe those bodies are out there and available for purchase because I've never heard of them.

But there it is, widebodied no less. I don't know what those bodies cost but geez to create a wide body mold and then build a body of which I believe the count is one, just blows me away. I mean just commissioning a fiberglass wide body Mustang seems like it would be a project in itself.

Beyond that I just love Ron's chassis designs, so amazingly functional. I've seen a lot of fancy chassis being built, but when I see one of Ron's I"m like yup that is exactly each bar needed and nothing extraneous.

Looking forward to watching this one.
Preston, you are spot on in many ways.

This Wide-Body 70 Fastback Mustang body did not exist before this. But in my 35+ years of racing & building race industry relationships ... I've learned who can do what ... and do it well ... versus those that are full of bulls@#$.

I've worked with Richard Earle of Suncoast Race Cars several times years back & I knew what he & his team was capable of. I knew he could create almost anything custom, as long as we were willing to pay a realistic price for what custom work takes.

Normally it takes 3-4 months to have an entire "regular" fiberglass body ... shell, doors, front end, hood, scoop, dash, decklid, etc .... built. The error we made was thinking we could build a full custom widened car ... with rocker skirts, flush glass, wicked air dam & hood scoop blended ... in the same time. We didn't. It took 6 months for the shell & the rest will be 7 months.

So it shortened the time we have to build the car to 4 months. Most people would be panic'd. But not my crew. This is old hat to us.

Randy Chastain of One-Off Customs is building "most" of the car. Mike Tolle of Tolle Fab is building the cage & installing all the features I want TIG welded. Ron Sutton Race Technology is providing the design, parts & oversight.

Randy is a long time friend. He was General Manager of Ron Sutton's Winner's Circle from start to finish. Randy over saw the building, set-up, racing, repair ... and sometimes ... rebuilding ... of 26 race cars there. He played a HUGE role in the hundred plus wins we got during that time.

Mike is a long time race car builder in IMSA, having worked on and/or built just about every type of road race car. We've worked together on many projects & I love his work.

The target is to be running a private test day on track at the end of June. We got this.

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 03-05-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 AM

Definitely subscribed to this one!

I don't have the heart to rip on Dave anymore.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Shouldn't the title be "SUTTON / weld" ?

I looked at your BMF beginning post last night.....

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28515

The first post was 9/2010 - Roughly EIGHT years ago....

The first post begins with "After being forced to sell my previous 68 earlier this year......"

And then goes on to state..... "I learned a lot from the past build about myself, shops, estimates, priorities, etc... "

Maybe - since we're changing thread names here..... we should rename your thread to "My 8 year pile of rusted parts" --- or maybe --- "I guess I really didn't learn a thing about trying to build cars"

Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Hey Y'all !!!

I just started a "Track-Warrior Builds - RSRT & BYO" thread on Sunday that shows 3 of the 15 RSRT Track-Warrior Builds. A lot of people don't know there are that many being built, because only a couple have build threads.

In the "Track-Warrior Builds - RSRT & BYO" thread, we're going to show most, if not all of them, in one thread HERE. This thread is not showing up in the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" currently. Not sure why. I'll reach out to Jody.

Super glad Greg started this thread, as we'll show all the details of his build here. Since the concept of building a wide body Mustang is cool in itself, I'll start by showing some of body build photos & tell that story. Then we'll catch everyone up on the chassis, engine, trans & other cool parts of this build.

Pull up a chair & grab some popcorn, because this is going to be a cool build in an amazing short time.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

This thread is not showing up in the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" currently. Not sure why. I'll reach out to Jody.
I noticed the other day that my shop build thread is the same way, doesn't show up under either as well. Not sure if it helps or not but it might help Jody figure out what's up.

Can't wait to watch this and the other Track Warrior builds progress!!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

Pull up a chair & grab some popcorn, because this is going to be a cool build in an amazing short time.

[/COLOR]
Is it done yet?