Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
down by hooking the fuel pump direrctly to the battery once. Have no idea what I was thinking, I will blame it on the Miller lites.

If I can get a hold of Ron Schwarz, I will ask him his thoughts on our problem. He does not get on here often.

Is it sucking air are getting hot? Is that a race pump and not made for street driving?
lol, musta been a lot of Miller Lites Some quality homebrews get you to that point alot quicker

Ok, here is an update: It's not electrical. I spoke with engineering at Holley. The first pump I sent back was seized mechanically. They are thinking it is cavitating or straight up sucking air. He explained they are fixed volume pumps and move alot of fuel. They can create the "toilet bowl effect" -you know how you give a swirly That would make sense if you were just driving along with minimal sloshing. So I'm thinking I need to do something with the pickup inlet. Also, I can't see how the return line interacts with the pickup, hopefully its not pointing right at it or that could cause aeration too.

here is a shot of the pickup tube removed and placed directly above where it is mounted. Notice the slash cut doesn't point down, but more forward and up just a bit. Hmmm

hard to see but just above the writing on the tank there are three spot welds, that is where the baffle wall is that the pickup tube goes thru.

No need to call the big shooter in yet! I'm sure Ron could figure out the electrical gremlins though. I saw him in action at Kershaw on Tom's car, lol

Thanks Payton.
66 Corvette, Spirit of '66
Project G-Vette
Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Default Easy for me to say

after you figured the problem. My first thought was sucking air but I thought you were running a Rick's tank that was all baffled up.

I am suprised that your car was not stumbling. When mine would uncover the pump it was very noticable.

I did call Ron and asked him. He knows that those pumps are voltage sensitive and if for some reason your alternator is charging more than 14 volts they will burn out. But again, they said it was mechanical. You could always try a GM unit from an F body.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
after you figured the problem. My first thought was sucking air but I thought you were running a Rick's tank that was all baffled up.

I am suprised that your car was not stumbling. When mine would uncover the pump it was very noticable.

I did call Ron and asked him. He knows that those pumps are voltage sensitive and if for some reason your alternator is charging more than 14 volts they will burn out. But again, they said it was mechanical. You could always try a GM unit from an F body.
It is a Ricks, but an older version. It's a lot shallower (its only 6-1/2") than the current design. And evidently the newer version went to a revised venting design.

It was strange they both died without much notice. The first one stumbled maybe three times, 5 secs later it was done. The second didn't hiccup, just wouldn't accelerate then it stopped.
Holley does rate them as up to 18.5V operating voltage, don't think there is a way I could be generating that much. The voltmeter in the dash is rock solid around 13.5V when its running.

I'm considering other options at this point. If Holley is willing to work with me I'll try to make there's work first. I'm leaning towards multiple pickups with the Walbro tank pickups in each corner. Sounds like a good design project

Payton, you gonna make it to Motorstate? Ron's car is a taxi anyway, he'd wouldn't mind you ridin' all day

Project G-Vette
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Default I will not be at Motor State

May try and make it next year. I like Gingerman.

I had one of Rick's first tanks with the A1000 pumps. It would uncover at anything under half a tank. Got the new design and never had a problem, also changed and went with a walbro pump.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
May try and make it next year. I like Gingerman.

I had one of Rick's first tanks with the A1000 pumps. It would uncover at anything under half a tank. Got the new design and never had a problem, also changed and went with a walbro pump.
Mine had the A1000 in when I got it. I just thought it was way too big for my fire breather. Thanks Payton

Little update on where I'm at with the gremlins I've been having. Picked up the loaner tank and pump from Tom this weekend and proceed to install it as soon as I could. Got it mocked up Sunday night. The power leads had to be lengthened, the fuel output port was a different size, the return and pressure ports were flipped position, the filler neck was different and the sending unit was in a different spot. Oh, it's deeper which we knew and takes different straps. Other than that, the tanks are the same, hey they are both stainless steel.

I can't thank Mr. Farrington enough for getting me moving again

So, still waiting on the longer straps from Rick's. UPS shows them being delivered here tomorrow, the day before the Motorstate Challenge of course. Lot's to due tomorrow still but mostly gathering stuff to take along.

Tonight I tightened up all the tank connections and wiring and tossed 5 gallons in it. I couldn't wait to start it to make sure everything was going to work. Guess what? It worked. Obviously starting it on blocks with the jack holding the tank there is not a real road test, but it does work.

Also, got the PWM (pulse width management) function from the Holley EFI to work for the cooling fan. Not exactly sure on the numbers, but it starts at 25% duty cycle at 195, then 50%, then 75%, then 100% at around 215 I believe. All adjustable numbers, just had to start somewhere.

So, interior is like a patch work quilt, but hey its in. Harness are installed, alignment is close with a digital level for camber and caster. I can see I'm gonna have to revisit the front geometry later. I'm thinking spindles and steering arms will be in order.
Project G-Vette
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 PM

on your transmission noise im going to go with internally.I just fought my T56 in my daily driver and had symptoms backward from yours, meaning if you push the cluth pedal in, then you got noise. But if your getting noise when its not pressed in then either your clutch is pushing into your throwout bearing or internal problem is my guess.

Did you measure to see if the clutch setup needed a shim behind the slave? That would have told you if its binding too

1967 GTO, LS2 T56

WILWOOD FORGELINE RIDETECH
$10k Budget driver/ track car
Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goatman455 View Post
on your transmission noise im going to go with internally.I just fought my T56 in my daily driver and had symptoms backward from yours, meaning if you push the cluth pedal in, then you got noise. But if your getting noise when its not pressed in then either your clutch is pushing into your throwout bearing or internal problem is my guess.

Did you measure to see if the clutch setup needed a shim behind the slave? That would have told you if its binding too
Thanks Scott, I'm thinking its internal as well. D&D said don't worry, just drive it. So, I'm driving it
Project G-Vette
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Talking Motorstate Bound

Well, on March 19th I set a goal to maintain motivation, and get the Chevelle on the road. Technically, I'm not at the event yet, but the car is loaded and (mostly) ready to go to the Motorsate Challenge tomorrow morning.

Wow, with all the weird things that popped up since I fired it on July 3rd, now I'm heading to my first event. Probably more of a shake down event than actually trying to be consistent. So many things that can be adjusted, so many knobs to turn, so many unknowns, where do you start?

Anyway, I could not have reached my goal without help and patience from some very key people. #1, my wife Jill. This would be the patience department. I mentioned it before: take your significant other to an event and get them a ride if you want them to know why you do what you do! #2, Tom Farrington (sorry Tom about the whole #2 thing). Said it before, I'll say it again, he is the man. Not just for his willingness to lend a hand, find a part, loan something, but for the therapeutic phone calls and general friendship too. #3, Billy Utley of B&B Classics for last minute weld jobs, tool loaning, and late night LS technical questions. Oh, and the trailer loan, I might have to keep it.

Whatever happens this weekend, I feel great about where I'm at. Sure, there will be issues to work thru, no doubt. Just hope nothing is catastrophic. Totally looking forward to ripping on this thing

Ok, proof it's on a trailer. Wish I was driving it there, but it's too risky at this point. I want to have some fun on the track first

If anyone is at the Challenge, please stop by and say hi!

Project G-Vette
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Glad your making it to the event. I hope you get some video of the runs so I can live through your Chevelle since I don't know when mine will ever be done.
1971 Camaro
Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 AM

Aaron,
Thanks for the kind words, but the great thing about this hobby is the "like minded" individuals who care more about the camaraderie than the competition. I for one can't wait to take my first ride in your Chevelle!!! 8/10ths on the road course right? ;-)
Oh yeah, I will take a 2nd to Jill any day.
The new shop build https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=42857