Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-24-2022, 10:38 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Forged Carbon Fiber...

What do you guys think about forged carbon fiber? It's starting to make it's way onto the protouring/muscle car scene. I've seen a 69 Camaro hood on a first gen and it's not bad looking. Just wanted to see what you all's thoughts were on this. Ring Brothers also makes a steering wheel with the ring made out of forged carbon fiber. Not bad looking parts, but for nearly double the price of weave pattern carbon fiber, I'm sure one would still be faced with fitment issues, etc.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:05 PM

Interesting, but I like the traditional weave pattern myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to srode1 For This Useful Post:
raustinss (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 09:37 AM

I like it!
Regular weave is getting so common, and theres so much fake carbon out there, it's cool to see a different look.

There are arguments all over the web about how forged is only for show, and it doesn't have structural properties...I'm no expert on composites, but for the car world I think it's plenty strong enough.

Jeff-
Old 10-25-2022, 01:06 PM

I like it; it's something different. As mentioned above, the fake carbon has somewhat diminished the allure of real carbon fiber.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:28 PM

It's OK, but all that really matters is do you like it.

1969 Camaro - LS2/4L70E
Old 10-25-2022, 05:10 PM

Not a fan….

Don
Old 10-25-2022, 10:13 PM

Doing work with aerospace composites on a daily basis, I find it funny how various places have managed to rebrand chopped carbon fiber molding compound as "forged" carbon fiber and now often charge a premium for it when for decades chopped fiber compound has often been made from the trimming and off fall from the weaving and fabric or unidirectional prepreg production process that would normally be thrown away. Now, rather than paying hazmat fees to dispose of the stuff that pretty much nobody wanted, they've given it the fancy name "forged carbon" and can make parts with it and sell it for a profit!

We fabricate a few press molded chopped carbon fiber "cup and cone" type inserts for very small satellite solar panel launch locks along with other small or lightly stressed fittings, and the carbon prepreg companies that we buy the chopped fiber molding compound from sell it for substantially cheaper than prepreg unidirectional or woven carbon fiber fabric as the chopped fiber is literally the trimmings, fall off, and sections of distorted woven fabric or uni that they normally can't sell-- so they chop it up into small bits, mix it with resin, and sell it for molding compound.

Of course, if you want a uniform look for cosmetics for this so called "forged" carbon fiber they normally chop up a batch of identical carbon tow so all the chopped pieces look similar rather than the "whatever fell onto the floor" look that we use for some of our molded parts.

It does look different for sure, and because the fiber lengths are so short and the fiber directions can't really be oriented in specific orientations because of the very nature of the chopped fiber molding compound the strength of the finished part is weaker than a controlled layup using unidirectional or woven fabric where the orientation of the fibers in every ply can be controlled for the desired strength in the finished layup.

"Forged" carbon is usually faster and cheaper to fabricate as you don't have to spend the time carefully cutting, orienting, and placing woven or unidirectional carbon fiber and make sure there are no wrinkles that will diminish the cosmetics as you would have to do with a normal layup-- with the molding compound you can just scoop it out of the container, pack it into the mold, and cure it. Quite a bit less labor, and also less of it goes into the garbage as you don't have to deal with trying to nest each ply of the part as efficiently as possible on a roll of material so as not to waste material as you do with unidirectional or woven fabric.

I see it as a case of "marketing at its finest" -- turning what would typically be scrap into profit with a fancy new name and some cool pictures for people who want something different.

For a cosmetic piece, I see no issues with the chopped fiber / "forged" stuff if that's the look you're going for. For a highly loaded structural piece, give me a traditional unidirectional or fabric oriented layup any day of the week. I've never seen a critical structural piece on an aircraft or spacecraft made out of chopped fiber if that says anything...

Last edited by Blown353; 10-26-2022 at 10:09 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blown353 For This Useful Post:
572Camaro (10-30-2022), camcojb (10-25-2022), CarlC (11-03-2022), CJD Automotive (10-26-2022), dhutton (10-28-2022), jarhead (10-26-2022), OLDFLM (10-26-2022), USAZR1 (11-13-2022), WSSix (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:59 AM

Kind of reminds me of Seinfeld, George wanting to sell muffins ... just the tops . I believe he then wanted to give away the bottoms to soup kitchens ?? Lmao
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raustinss For This Useful Post:
dhutton (10-28-2022), srode1 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
Kind of reminds me of Seinfeld, George wanting to sell muffins ... just the tops . I believe he then wanted to give away the bottoms to soup kitchens ?? Lmao

My 68 Torino
Old 10-28-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown353 View Post
Doing work with aerospace composites on a daily basis, I find it funny how various places have managed to rebrand chopped carbon fiber molding compound as "forged" carbon fiber and now often charge a premium for it when for decades chopped fiber compound has often been made from the trimming and off fall from the weaving and fabric or unidirectional prepreg production process that would normally be thrown away. Now, rather than paying hazmat fees to dispose of the stuff that pretty much nobody wanted, they've given it the fancy name "forged carbon" and can make parts with it and sell it for a profit!

We fabricate a few press molded chopped carbon fiber "cup and cone" type inserts for very small satellite solar panel launch locks along with other small or lightly stressed fittings, and the carbon prepreg companies that we buy the chopped fiber molding compound from sell it for substantially cheaper than prepreg unidirectional or woven carbon fiber fabric as the chopped fiber is literally the trimmings, fall off, and sections of distorted woven fabric or uni that they normally can't sell-- so they chop it up into small bits, mix it with resin, and sell it for molding compound.

Of course, if you want a uniform look for cosmetics for this so called "forged" carbon fiber they normally chop up a batch of identical carbon tow so all the chopped pieces look similar rather than the "whatever fell onto the floor" look that we use for some of our molded parts.

It does look different for sure, and because the fiber lengths are so short and the fiber directions can't really be oriented in specific orientations because of the very nature of the chopped fiber molding compound the strength of the finished part is weaker than a controlled layup using unidirectional or woven fabric where the orientation of the fibers in every ply can be controlled for the desired strength in the finished layup.

"Forged" carbon is usually faster and cheaper to fabricate as you don't have to spend the time carefully cutting, orienting, and placing woven or unidirectional carbon fiber and make sure there are no wrinkles that will diminish the cosmetics as you would have to do with a normal layup-- with the molding compound you can just scoop it out of the container, pack it into the mold, and cure it. Quite a bit less labor, and also less of it goes into the garbage as you don't have to deal with trying to nest each ply of the part as efficiently as possible on a roll of material so as not to waste material as you do with unidirectional or woven fabric.

I see it as a case of "marketing at its finest" -- turning what would typically be scrap into profit with a fancy new name and some cool pictures for people who want something different.

For a cosmetic piece, I see no issues with the chopped fiber / "forged" stuff if that's the look you're going for. For a highly loaded structural piece, give me a traditional unidirectional or fabric oriented layup any day of the week. I've never seen a critical structural piece on an aircraft or spacecraft made out of chopped fiber if that says anything...
I had no idea what it was made from...the shavings, edges and throw-away pieces per say. Very ingenious marketing and charges even more for it. I can see it becoming very popular due to something new and different.