Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2020, 08:53 PM

Default 64 C10 Front steering system question

Hi All, long time lurker here. I need some help deciding on which way to go to get the best bang for the buck out of this street driven truck that I intend to daily drive soon. It may autoX once or twice a year, but really I just like taking the road with turns to work and it'd be cool if the truck handled better.

I'm looking at upgrading from manual steering in the truck. I'm wondering how far do I need to go to have a more modern feel. The truck has fully rebuilt classic front suspension and has porter built control arms on a stock cross member. It also has an older version of Porterbuilt trailing arm upgrade with ride tech coil-overs. I'm thinking there may be a few different ways to get a very nice handling truck with modern feel that doesn't require a new cross-member and maybe doesn't require coil overs? If it needs coil covers I'll do that, but my g-body handles pretty well for just having a rebuilt front end, better shocks and springs on it. (maybe that's comparing apples to oranges?)

A few different directions I've thought of, what are your thoughts or changes for these?

A. Porter built front cross-member, coil overs, rack and pinion?
see link - https://pbfab.com/1963-72-chevy-pick...lovers-level-1

B. Stock crossmember, Rack and pinion swap with a coil spring change (900 lb springs that have been cut already for the big block soon to be an LSX swap) No limit seems to make a bolt / weld in kit
see link - http://nolimit.net/products#!/C-10-P...tegory=6157547

C. Traditional power steering and a coil spring change.

A splined sway bar is likely on the list for B&C above.

The truck already has the front suspension completely rebuilt 7 years ago, porter built control arms, and an upgraded sway bar. I want the steering accurate and not old school 1 finger steering and slow ratio. Currently with the manual steering, when the tail swings out the correction is soooo slow it's dangerous. Same if it's wet out. Considering a wilwood spindle upgrade and bigger front brakes as well.

Thoughts?
Attached Images