View Poll Results: what to do????
Mini tub move springs in......... 28 12.67%
Air bar....and air ride all around... 37 16.74%
4 link and Mini tub.... 110 49.77%
Mini tub move springs in and air ride..... 46 20.81%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

"Ok my imput for what its worth!. when contacking one of the big 3 major a arm manufacters. . . he said in the end its a money makeing bisenis thing"

Did any of these manufacturers happen to sell air suspension parts? If I were them I'd persuade my customer that air is no good, and that you should buy my parts instead.

Was budget the first thing on the list, or was performance?

I don't want to knock a good coil-over/leaf spring suspension, (hell, we ran them in our stock cars for years with great success, but have since moved on to 4-links as technology has surpassed the leaf in our racing application). The coil/leaf set-up is a good, economical option. However, I'm still an air fan as I know first hand I can cruise to the track in plush comfort, make a couple quick changes and out-run most anything on the track. Then quickly change back to "cruise" mode.

Overall, the adaptability of a pneumatic suspension system is hard to beat!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret
A few people have mentioned that you would likely find few air suspension fans here. I would like to add only one word to that: YET.
WOW! I just re read this entire 1 1/2 year old thread, and I feel like I just looked at my 25 Y/O homecoming pictures and wonder what the hell was I thinking with that hair cut and baby blue leasure suit! And now I am so much smarter!

Bret, you were 100% correct your quote from over a year ago when you said YET!

You converted a few bigtime nay sayers at RTHs. Converted some of us enough for some (like ourselves) to go from nay sayers to becoming advocates, Air Ride dealers and product users on our highest end builds. It is actually pretty damn impressive how you have changed attitudes in just that short 1 1/2 year period.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x
"Ok my imput for what its worth!. when contacking one of the big 3 major a arm manufacters. . . he said in the end its a money makeing bisenis thing"

Did any of these manufacturers happen to sell air suspension parts? If I were them I'd persuade my customer that air is no good, and that you should buy my parts instead.

Was budget the first thing on the list, or was performance?

I don't want to knock a good coil-over/leaf spring suspension, (hell, we ran them in our stock cars for years with great success, but have since moved on to 4-links as technology has surpassed the leaf in our racing application). The coil/leaf set-up is a good, economical option. However, I'm still an air fan as I know first hand I can cruise to the track in plush comfort, make a couple quick changes and out-run most anything on the track. Then quickly change back to "cruise" mode.

Overall, the adaptability of a pneumatic suspension system is hard to beat!
actualy one of these companys is selling the new aftermarket subframes . . and budged is not a isuew..............
Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

so does this new aftermarket subframe manufacturer offer air suspension as an option? Or do they only offer coil overs?

". . . and the beter driver with same performance will usaly always win!!!!.....so i stuck and stik with lowering coils shocks and leaf springs forget about air rides ecetera"
I agree with this statement, the better drive should always win when competing against equal opposition. At last years RTH autocross the local "hot shoe" drove a bunch of cars, both air ride and "traditional". Maybe he'll see this post his thoughts.

I can appreciate your desire to build a car as inexpensively as you can (I do the same with all my projects). Not all projects require a race-car-like suspension complete with cage, and not all require a "Cadillac" demeanor and ride quality. Though putting a vehicle on air is more complicated in regards to parts (plumbing, etc.) I enjoy the adaptability of the system. It may never out maneuver a C6R, or be as sedate as a Lexus, but It'll get closer to both extremes than any other option out there.

A question to those on this forum: Are there any competitive "race cars" utilizing rear leaf springs in current motorsports racing? (this can be any form of "flat ground" racing vehicle; dirt, road course, oval, etc. excluding vintage racing or classes that require the use of leafs) My feeling is that when given design freedom, the chassis manufacturer has moved away from leafs and into 3 or 4 link cars.

Last edited by marolf101x; 12-28-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Supporting Vendor

hell yeah there is Brit.... when was the last time you were at the mud bog races
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Well since this thread is really old, I guess I should post some pics.

I ended up doing a mini-tub and 4-link with no air-ride.

These pictures are taken last summer, and since then the car has settled even more.

Also now those wheels are on another Chevy II in Florida! lol

https://www.facebook.com/Dutchboyshotrods

Last edited by Sales@Dutchboys; 02-01-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWG View Post
air ride is so overrated
it makes for a stiff ride with not much in the way of shock absorbtion.
remember the old hijacker airshocks?
Airride is nothing like this and if you have been in a proper airride car you would now this. Airride is nice smooth and handles great. You could not ask for a better ride and it performs. If you saw the green blazer on the autocross you know you can actually drive it. Airride all the way much nicer than coil-overs.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesler View Post
Airride is nothing like this and if you have been in a proper airride car you would now this. Airride is nice smooth and handles great. You could not ask for a better ride and it performs. If you saw the green blazer on the autocross you know you can actually drive it. Airride all the way much nicer than coil-overs.
WOW! the post you just replied to is 6 years old
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoshark View Post
fesler has the right to do that. i learned some good stuff. i may do air ride on the 1000 pieces of a 65 chevelle in my garage. i got only a ton of questions though of course. haha

keep up the good work fesler. and try to make some 65 chevelle stuff. its like a custom part red headed step child. haha
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoshark View Post
WOW! the post you just replied to is 4 years old

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?