Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-18-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAA
So let me see if I understand this correctly. By increasing KPI, the intersection of the imaginary line drawn through the upper and lower balljoints and the tire contact patch would move outward closer to the center of the contact patch? Or another way to visualize it, the upper balljoint would move in closer to the vehicle with the snout in the same horizontal position?
You got it. Of course, you could move the lower ball joint outward as well. Whether you could move the upper ball joint inward enough with just alignment, I don't know - so you might need custom upper control arms.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAddict
Are you talking about one of these:

http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog...p?cPath=31_559

Which off the shelf ones are you going to get? Which hubs and bearings do they use? Which suspension analysis are you using to zero in on your geometry? Sorry for all the questions, but this might be something I'd like to do for my 2nd gen f-body.
yes, those are the basic style of spindle, dennis will have to chime in on which one he is gonna run. mine use a GN style snout, and a winters forged hub with built in rotor carrier. i looked at all the different options to see if i could use an off shelf item, but nothin fits my 1 off design even close, so after researching the build process, i decided to build my own.

i have more time and money into my modular jig than expected, but i can build my spindles and make design changes if needed in no time flat.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 PM

I am running the Impala 9" version. It uses a full size ball joint taper and full size wheel bearings/seals. For a budget hub I am going to cut off the rotor hat from a pair of full size rotors and machine the hub OD to fit a generic rotor hat.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis68
I am running the Impala 9" version. It uses a full size ball joint taper and full size wheel bearings/seals. For a budget hub I am going to cut off the rotor hat from a pair of full size rotors and machine the hub OD to fit a generic rotor hat.
Thanks Dennis. I can see why you'd choose that set of options. I've tried to find engineering drawings for those spindles - have you found any? King pin angle, king pin height, steering arm length and offset, etc?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAddict
I've tried to find engineering drawings for those spindles - have you found any? King pin angle10*, they will change at your request for a little more money

King pin heightThe spindle pin is at 3.75" measured from the bottom of the LBJ mounting boss

Steering arm length steering arm length is 6" center to center EDIT, checked the arms again today; the left arm is 5.5" while the right is 6". Calling tomorrow to see about having a r/s arm built with l/s length
OffsetAckerman is zero
Anything else?

Last edited by dennis68; 01-19-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Thanks!

Scott
Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis68

This is on my 67 fastback........
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2006, 11:27 PM

where did those come from? i havent seen any with the lower taper as part of the steering arm that bolts to the upright. btw, 8 piston calipers
Old 01-19-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race-rodz
where did those come from? i havent seen any with the lower taper as part of the steering arm that bolts to the upright. btw, 8 piston calipers
They look exactly like mine.

Are you running the offset length steering arms Sideoiler?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 AM

nevermind.... had my head up my a$$ again, i was thinkin wide 5 style fabbed spindles where the lower taper and steering arm is welded into the upright.

so if i was to use the impala style spindle with gn snout, then the winters hubs would work..... right?

im thinkin i could possibly run the off the shelf impala spindle, and adjust the r.c. with balljoints to get back to the same point as with custom spindle pin height.