Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I know I'm not supposed to do this, but it was so glaring I had to check. My investment accounts are up 5% since Jan 1 2019...

This last week has been crazy green for me....

This is why you can’t be a market timer — because if you sell every time you get worried — the market will snap back and run on you and then all you do is end up with cash that needs to be put to work - -and thus you buy at ever higher prices.... TIME IS THE GREAT MAGIC — Not timing.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 AM

Default At&t (t)

Watching CNBC this morning and all the discussion about “Streaming”.... Apple - Netflix - Disney - Hulu..... everyone wants you to sign up for their streaming service and cut the cable

Why mention this? Because I got to thinking that AT&T bought Direct TV (cable) for growth — and assumed massive debt for the purchase. My millennial children don’t have or want cable - they have streaming stuff.....

Just remembering “fundamental change” in your holdings — and is this one??? The death of a 1000 cuts — or was it a brilliant move? IDK — just saying to pay attention.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Watching CNBC this morning and all the discussion about “Streaming”.... Apple - Netflix - Disney - Hulu..... everyone wants you to sign up for their streaming service and cut the cable

Why mention this? Because I got to thinking that AT&T bought Direct TV (cable) for growth — and assumed massive debt for the purchase. My millennial children don’t have or want cable - they have streaming stuff.....

Just remembering “fundamental change” in your holdings — and is this one??? The death of a 1000 cuts — or was it a brilliant move? IDK — just saying to pay attention.
Yup, as soon as cable internet like speed is available elsewhere, the cable companies are toast.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM

I'm a cord cutter...been 2 years now without cable TV. So I'm experienced with that side of this discussion.

I also own AT&T and am a bit upside down in it since the DTV purchase. So also familiar with that side...

What I know now is that streaming ain't all it's cracked up to be. There is nothing free about any kind of good content and what you can stream is getting so filled up with ads that you can't skip that it's frustrating to watch. Hulu, youTubeTV and such are now all raising their subscription fees and the cord cutters are raising heck about it. Not only that but fast internet ISPs are raising their rates largely as well. My 100 mbps Cox connection just jumped from $69\month to $99\month.

I'm still not sure where it's going, but I know having a cable\Sat DVR with the ability to easily record and skip commercials on playback is still the best way to watch ANY TV programming. It's just not worth $200\month to this user. For now the Cable\Sat companies seem to be happy jacking up the rates to the subscribers they have left to keep their profit margins in line, the more subs they loose, the higher they jack rates. At some point one would think they will dial that back to get the Subs back that get tired of the unskippable ads and expensive internet the streamers are stuck with.

I suspect the build out of the 5G network nationwide will dictate the next move on both sides...and this part I'm less knowledgeable about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
glassman (05-08-2019), WILWAXU (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 PM

I can barely watch cable TV. The commercials are ridiculous. I have to be really tired a looking for something mind numbing. I end up on Netflix most of the time.

On the flip side, I noticed Amazon is getting into prescription drugs. A to your door type deal. I'm a bit down on CVS and it makes me look to consider unloading it in the short term.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I can barely watch cable TV. The commercials are ridiculous. I have to be really tired a looking for something mind numbing. I end up on Netflix most of the time.

On the flip side, I noticed Amazon is getting into prescription drugs. A to your door type deal. I'm a bit down on CVS and it makes me look to consider unloading it in the short term.

I continue to hold on to a couple hundred shares of Amazon (AMZN).

#1 — I buy EVERYTHING from them

#2 — The Web services biz is still growing

#3 — They seem to have smart people at the top
Old 04-17-2019, 10:21 PM

Spectrum (Time Warner) is now offering cell service and uses the Verizon platform and towers. I was paying $80 for Verizon and Spectrum was offering the same plan for $45. (However, you had to have either internet or tv through them and I already used them for internet) I actually jumped ship and now have a plan with Spectrum and have the exact same coverage. You can tell the Cable guys are moving trying everything they can to bring in new clients.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spacepirate For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (04-19-2019), WILWAXU (04-18-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Buffett

Best advice ever —- what I’ve been saying since the first post — pick good well known names and places you shop or do biz with.... spread it thru sectors.... but he says it is broader brush stroke.... the KEY takeaway?? Don’t listen to the BS!!

Warren Buffett has some very simple advice for investors.

“All you have to do is just buy a cross-section of America and then never listen to people like me or read the papers or do anything subsequently,” he said in an exclusive interview with Yahoo Finance’s editor-in-chief, Andy Serwer.

Last edited by GregWeld; 05-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-29-2019), Roscoe03 (04-29-2019), toy71camaro (04-29-2019), WILWAXU (04-29-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I've been reading up on this a little too, more specifically who will come out on top in the wireless world... AT&T or Verizon. While AT&T's primary investment has been buying up other Telecom companies, Verizon's main investment has been their network in hopes of being better prepared for the coming 5G signal, which will better support the demand of everyone streaming everything.

Even though I've been a fan/customer of Verizon for many years, they both tell a compelling story in their theories of best growth practices. While AT&T currently has to work through a mountain of debt from all of their acquisitions, if and when they bring that to a zero balance, they could become the top contender if played right. But on the other hand, I think Verizon is poised to run away with the market by shoring up their foundation first. Just my .02 cents.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I continue to hold on to a couple hundred shares of Amazon (AMZN).

#1 — I buy EVERYTHING from them

#2 — The Web services biz is still growing

#3 — They seem to have smart people at the top
Two questions

A- do you think the stock (AMZN) will ever split? (i own 2 shares)
B- does it matter?