Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Artist Introductions...

Take a moment and tell us who you are!

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build
Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM

My name's Ben, I'm 38, born in New York, grew up mostly near West Palm Beach Florida, and now live near Provo, Utah. I'm married 12 years now, got 4 kids from 10yrs to 6 months, and I love cars.

I started drawing cars around age 12 and by high school was pretty confident with my skills. I hated regular classes and barely passed but loved art and always got A's there. I had an art teacher my junior year that put a stop to me drawing cars (which I did for evey project ) because as she said, "there's no money in automotive art". I was pretty discouragerd and pretty much lost interest in drawing. Drag racing replaced it as my hobby and by age 21 I had built an 11 sec Nova that was my daily driver. At age 25 I pulled my head out and moved to Utah for college. I attended graphic design classes at the junior college anticipating transferring to BYU once I got my GPA up. The head of the department saw some of my older car art. After talking about it she realized my passion for cars and my mechanical abilities and suggested I get into the Industrial Design/Transportation Design program over at BYU. I never heard of Industrial Design and checked into it. I transferred, joined the program, and was stoked about drawing cars again. By graduation time I think the folks from GM, Ford, & Honda that worked with us on projects were pretty much sick of my retro based designs. I realized I had little interest in designing new cars and fresh out of school I got a job doing graphic design in Utah. I've been doing old car art on the side since then as well and am now trying to make it a full time gig.

I started doing my art by hand, but now pretty much everything is Illustrator and Photoshop. I also like doing fine art working with pencil and watercolor but can't find much time to do it anymore. I also try to find time to work on my car projects now and again. I still have the Nova, am slowly building a G-machine out of a 79 Cutlass wagon, and also have a restomod Nova collecting dust. I've worked most of my life in auto parts stores, speed shops, tire stores and in a shop restoring muscle cars. Eventually I'd like to open a small resto/hot rod shop and start building some of my own designs.

Here's a face with a name...

Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Good lookin crew you've got Ben, looks like a handful.

I'm Colter. I didn't start drawing cars until I was like 17 or 18 I think. I drew everything else though. Of course at that time it was all about the comic books and I thought I was going to be a comic book artist one day ... not so much. I still go back to those days every once in awhile. I never learned to draw cars, I just started doing it once I was shown the muscle car light ... which happened to be at the same time I was in college learning to use Ai. The school I attended was across the street from the high school so I did both at the same time and got high school credit, if that helps explain the age problem with that story. Anyway, it wasn't until finding places like this a few years back that I have started to try to learn the more traditional ways of automotive art, but really I'm a commercial/graphic artist, not really a fine artist. I like to think of myself as a problem solver more than anything. So I envy you traditional artists sometimes. Before that, I was just drawing people's cars, learning their details, trying to learn what made them so appealing to me.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM

Lets see some comic art!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Neat stuff looks like we have a few things in common 4 kids owns a cutlass into 406's and art lol hummmmmmm sure were not related lol
Heres a little of the photo shop work that i use in My Custom graphics everyday! check us out!

http://www.gpgraphicdesigns.com/

Last edited by G-Body; 12-11-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:07 AM

Hi!
I’m a 1980 born artist from Finland. I just got my BA degree from Industrial design. My media is mostly markers and colored pencils but I have done some Photoshop with wacom lately.

www.jannekutja.com
myspace.com/jannekutja

Here are some pics I have done:

-

Last edited by Janne; 12-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Excellent work! In January we're starting up our monthly drawing contest again, so post throughout the month and join in on the contests.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:29 PM

Arrow cool....

Nice work!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Nice work love it want to see more
Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Thanks! Couple more...

-

Last edited by Janne; 12-01-2009 at 09:48 AM.