Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Chad -- Glad to see someone finally gets the point I've been trying to make... that for MANY folks -- these new self tuning systems work just "fine". They're not for every stinking motor ever built -- but with some planning with the engine builder - the motor can be built to be EFI friendly... and if you're not looking for every last one tenth of one percent horse power these systems fire up - starting running - and in a matter of 50 miles of driving they're tuned and ready to go. Then they keep getting better and better.

The sooner the "tuners/installers" out there embrace these - the sooner the stories become POSITIVE EXPERIENCES with EFI... rather than the HORROR STORIES I hear every time I go somewhere...

But, people have to learn the ins and outs of EFI vs just slapping it on any old motor and hoping for the best... But that's a whole different discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
With all do respect, I'll bet everyone that had their car tuned either on a dyno or via the internet and had problems had a tuner that said "No Problem, I know what I'm doing". Then they were told their cam didn't match their heads or the distributor wasn't right. That's the one I like, the cam doesn't match the heads, so your car won't move under it's own power. Yet it drove into the dyno session. See my point? The problem is, how many hundreds and thousands of dollars does a guy have to spend to get the guy that DOES know what he is doing? I'm sure you are excellent at what you do, do you offer a guarantee? That was the reason we went with the EZ-EFI. It made 621hp and 550ft# on an LS415. We will see about drivability. However, it comes recommended from Wegner Automotive, and their resume is also very impressive. Are there limitations to it, yes. Will it do what we want, yes. I know you can not endorse self learning EFI systems as that would take money out of your pocket, but for the people that read these forums and never get involved in the discussions, I think it is necessary to be objective and give all the pros and cons. For what it's worth, if I do get into a build where we need more complex EFI control I would feel comfortable working with you from what I have read here.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Chad -- Glad to see someone finally gets the point I've been trying to make... that for MANY folks -- these new self tuning systems work just "fine". They're not for every stinking motor ever built -- but with some planning with the engine builder - the motor can be built to be EFI friendly... and if you're not looking for every last one tenth of one percent horse power these systems fire up - starting running - and in a matter of 50 miles of driving they're tuned and ready to go. Then they keep getting better and better.

The sooner the "tuners/installers" out there embrace these - the sooner the stories become POSITIVE EXPERIENCES with EFI... rather than the HORROR STORIES I hear every time I go somewhere...

But, people have to learn the ins and outs of EFI vs just slapping it on any old motor and hoping for the best... But that's a whole different discussion.
Very informative post Herr Veld.

Skip
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun8541 View Post
Did you do that 427 with the EZ EFI or the XFI?
Neither one, Accel Gen 7.
That's why I mentioned what I did. The XFI can't tailor the individual cylinder trim by load/rpm. It's an all or nothing calibration with the XFI and doesn't exist at all on the EZ.

Compos, thank you for the comment, I think

Yes there are too many mediocre tuners out there, with every make of system. I know I've run across too many.
And yes I do gaurantee my tuning. But I ask all the right questions about the application BEFORE I sell anybody anything. And I'm not concerned about not making any money on the self tuning stuff, it's not my primary source of income anyway. If you look closely at the software there are better and average systems around.

But the nice thing about some of the better systems out there is that they will help an otherwise ill advised combination to some degree, i.e. another 427 Ford I did with a 249/[email protected] on a 110 hyd roller cam. It came to me with a Mass AirFlo system, self tuning right? Ran like crap, even after 3 chip changes and sending the ECM back twice. After swapping to a non self learning system, it idles at 750 rpm all day and runs great.

Last edited by supremeefi; 01-31-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Last time I checked, factory cars self tune after initial calibration.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
I ask all the right questions about the application BEFORE I sell anybody anything. And I'm not concerned about not making any money on the self tuning stuff, it's not my primary source of income anyway.

That is what most of the sales / tuner guys DON'T do.... they just sell or install and think they can figure it all out... SO KUDOS TO YOU MARK!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks Greg, I try.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

I was trying to think of a "clean" option to run my fuel lines.

Is it a bad idea to mount the regulator on the firewall between the distributer and coolant lines. Then run the fuel lines down behind the motor and on top of the trans. The lines would then run down the center of the car like the factory line is ran.