Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Oem vs. Aftermarket

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvatages of running an OEM ECU as opposed to F.A.S.T., Big Stuff 3, etc? I know the aftermarket stuff is more pricey but that isn't my concern. I'm more concerned about tunability with custom and future mods, etc.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,456 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509Chevelle View Post
Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvatages of running an OEM ECU as opposed to F.A.S.T., Big Stuff 3, etc? I know the aftermarket stuff is more pricey but that isn't my concern. I'm more concerned about tunability with custom and future mods, etc.
the aftermarket stuff usually has more features, bells and whistles, etc. On a super/turbocharged engine many of the aftermarket systems come with a wideband O2 and the ability to stay closed loop even under boost. Kind of nice that the ecu can add fuel if needed under boost, the oem stuff can't do that. Many have boost controllers, trans controllers, nitrous controllers, etc. built in.

Both can work very well, with the correct tune being the key. I think the aftermarket stuff is easier to tune, mostly because there are fewer parameters you can get into when tuning. But the factory computers are very capable for nearly any combo you'd run.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 PM

I just went throught this with our Bull Run Racer which runs a LS3 with a 4 barrel TB. While it has to be tuned in Speed Density, it still seems to be the best choice.

Based on your sig your engine is a factory LS engine, use a factory ecm. The factory ECM is faster, smarter and les money then aftermarket. The aftermarket systems will require a additional ingnition box for the multi coils on the LS engine, the factory ECM handles it all inclusive. And if your running a automatic, you can use a factory trans controller also. Mucho less dollars.

But if you decide on a FAST or Accel, we are delaers. Guess I kinda shot my foot off on this one!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,456 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
I just went throught this with our Bull Run Racer which runs a LS3 with a 4 barrel TB. While it has to be tuned in Speed Density, it still seems to be the best choice.

Based on your sig your engine is a factory LS engine, use a factory ecm. The factory ECM is faster, smarter and les money then aftermarket. The aftermarket systems will require a additional ingnition box for the multi coils on the LS engine, the factory ECM handles it all inclusive. And if your running a automatic, you can use a factory trans controller also. Mucho less dollars.

But if you decide on a FAST or Accel, we are delaers. Guess I kinda shot my foot off on this one!
some of the aftermarkets units run the factory coils without additional boxes, and have trans controllers built in. If you go aftermarket, call Frank, he'll set you up at a great price. The oem computer would also work well in your case.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:

I guess I should have stated this before. With my Chevelle, the 6.0 has SLP Performance's L92 heads with 64cc comb. chambers and cam & rocker arm upgrade. Cam specs are .561 & .562, 113 lobe sep. So it isn't stock, but not too radical. The reason I asked this question is I already have all my F.A.S.T. wiring & XIM Ignition controller. I only lack the XFI ECU but was told to send all that back and use OEM ECU and wiring harness by the guy who was going to do my install. I didn't know if he was trying to sell me his stuff or what or was he making any sense. He is also a F.A.S.T. dealer and installs and tunes F.A.S.T. too. I admit the OEM stuff is cheaper, but since I already have the F.A.S.T. stuff minus the XFI that's why I wasn't worried about the price because money was spent. But don't mind sending it back and saving money if OEM is the better way to go. My car is strictly a street car, no racing and will be matted to my brand new T56 Magnum. But want to keep my options open in the future if I choose to stroke it or change to a bigger cam as far as the better ECU tunability. Frank....how much for the F.A.S.T. XFI? Thanks guys for all the replies and help!!!

Last edited by 214Chevy; 07-14-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 AM

Frank, you are correct for that application. The aftermarket ECU's are extremely expensive, if you want one that is capable of lots of features. The ECU's such as Motec's 800 series or such can run as much as 8k. The after market ECU's are made to be tune real time though, the GM ECU's are not that forgiving unless the ECU its self has enough physical ram to do real time tuning. I will say though for the money you cant beat a Factory ECU, thats unless you have a twin turbo 2000 hp setup from TOM Neslon.

Quote:

Last edited by COYBILT; 07-15-2009 at 01:40 AM.