Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Any input on their new powerfire distributors?

Easy 3-wire install with no external spark box necessary.
Precision CNC machining and hand assembled production.
Patent pending positive lock manual advance/retard knob. Distributor can be accurately advanced or retarded in 1/2-degree increments on the flyby turning the external adjustment knob. Each click of the knob provides a 1/2-degree change in total ignition timing. This makes getting an accurate setting very easy.
Accurate super hot spark all the way through 10,000 RPM.
Hardened steel .50" diameter steel shaft with sealed roller bearing upper support and bronze bushed lower support for extreme stability at maximum RPM.
Powerful magnetic pickup and CNC machined reluctor pickup.
Fully adjustable advance mechanism with easy to use spring and bushing design for a nearly infinite advance curve.
POWERFIRE module built in for drop-in reliability from 50 to 10,000 RPM.
Hot cranking spark as low as 50 RPM.
Black anodized base with laser etched timing marks for easy visibility.
High quality injection molded caps with brass terminals for long life and conductivity.
Both male and female caps provided in kit so you know your wires will work.

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...dy-to-run.html
69 SS396 Camaro Coupe, 4link, 12bolt posi, Speedtech LCA and UCA's, Hotchkis 2" drop springs and sway bar, Ridetech triple remote resevoir coilovers, Bilsteins, Wilwood 6 piston front/4 piston rear, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Lemons Headers, Comp rollers/p-rods/cam, Fikse 18x8.5 and 18x10

Last edited by g356gear; 02-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Where's the magazine articles with side by side comparisons -- or product testing - data - etc? That kind of stuff is what SELLS products... real world uses and testing and comparisons of comparable parts. That just might explain why people buy FAST... it's out there - it's been tested - it's been tuned - it works - and the more of them that are out there - the more they sell themselves...
I remember HOT ROD did a big EFI comparison about a year ago this system was in it. I remember them saying it was a pretty easy to setup and ran really well, they seemed to love it. The thing that caught my eye about this system was the fact that it could pass at first glance as a holley/demon carb. But since i'm cheap and refuse to change i'm sticking with my working carb.

I'll see if I can dig up the magazine for the dates of it.

Edit: I found the article on thier website. Its the same thing that was in thier magazine.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ero/index.html

Last edited by Warpath Pontiac; 02-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 AM

We have over 600 happy users this year!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

This system of fuel pump management seemed to be spot on - as it was vacuum / fuel pressure management rather than RPM based... and appeared to be well engineered.
Ken, since you worked for Retrotek, and Greg spoke to the reps on the returnless fuel management system I have a few questions. If it is vacuum based, does the engine need a certain amount of vacuum to operate the system? I have very low vacuum due to my cam choice, but haven't worried about it before due to manual brakes/trans and a double pumper carb. I'm moving to EFI, trying to decide between FAST and the PJIII. The returnless option seems like a simpler set-up for me. I have no factory return line, or vented/baffled tank. I could install this without removing my tank which would be a plus. Except I left the sock off my pick-up, will a simple 100 micron pre-filter cover that need?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken67 View Post
I thought you didn't work for them ummm?
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.

Last edited by Rod P; 03-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
I do not work for them "anymore!"
Quote:
so, do you work for them or not? Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice for people to know if they're talking to someone that works for the manufacturer of a product they're pushing................ Nothing wrong with that, we have many manufacturers and reps that post on the site, just want to get the story straight.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
so, do you work for them or not? Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice for people to know if they're talking to someone that works for the manufacturer of a product they're pushing................ Nothing wrong with that, we have many manufacturers and reps that post on the site, just want to get the story straight.

Jody
I agree, give us the scoop on what your situation is so at a minimum, people can use you as a resource and you can help build positive images of the product.

I have a lot of questions. Several magazines have installed them and seem quite happy with the product. Yet, hardly anybody on the street or online seems to be running the system. I'm buying one or the other in the very near future. The PJIII seems like a better unit for what I need. My car is a PT style car, but all of the styling elements are retro from the finned valve covers to the TTII's, the pearl white OEM vinyl, etc. The looks of the PJIII and the returnless fuel delivery fits the bill.

FWIW, I have a Professional products intake manifold since I bought it from Ace at PPR where I got my stroker kit and he helped develop it, it's a nice piece, and I have their harmonic balancer, again from Ace.

Last edited by Josh69; 03-08-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g356gear View Post
Any input on their new powerfire distributors?

Easy 3-wire install with no external spark box necessary.
Precision CNC machining and hand assembled production.
Patent pending positive lock manual advance/retard knob. Distributor can be accurately advanced or retarded in 1/2-degree increments on the flyby turning the external adjustment knob. Each click of the knob provides a 1/2-degree change in total ignition timing. This makes getting an accurate setting very easy.
Accurate super hot spark all the way through 10,000 RPM.
Hardened steel .50" diameter steel shaft with sealed roller bearing upper support and bronze bushed lower support for extreme stability at maximum RPM.
Powerful magnetic pickup and CNC machined reluctor pickup.
Fully adjustable advance mechanism with easy to use spring and bushing design for a nearly infinite advance curve.
POWERFIRE module built in for drop-in reliability from 50 to 10,000 RPM.
Hot cranking spark as low as 50 RPM.
Black anodized base with laser etched timing marks for easy visibility.
High quality injection molded caps with brass terminals for long life and conductivity.
Both male and female caps provided in kit so you know your wires will work.

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...dy-to-run.html
I tried one. It was junk. Would loose spark.

Sent it back, got an MSD, same everything else, worked fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Default Powerjection 3

I own a previous version of this system. (Boss EFI) Basically the same except the EMS is separate. I have found the system to be simple to install, runs well, and is reliable. I just upgraded it with my Procharger install by adding 92 lbs injectors, a larger capacity pump and a new load from Retrotek and off it went. I brought it to the dyno tuner and he said the computer is doing a great job of adjusting the Fuel/Air ratio and he had to do little to it. Retrotek Speed makes the system and they were bought by Professional products. I sell electronics and it is impossible to find anything without foreign content anymore. I would guess the components in my MSD box are Chinese. I buy American whenever I can.
1969 Camaro, Procharged D1SC GM PP HO 454, Retrotek Speed Boss EFI, MSD6 BTM ignition with Pro billet distributor, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake, 700R4, 12 bolt 373 with posi, pypes exhaust. Air Ride Suspension.
http://gallery.mac.com/bobb22#100046...lack&view=grid

Last edited by Milehigh69; 04-06-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM

The thing that bothers me is at the beginning of this thread it was said that this unit does more than the Fast computer? Are we talking about EZ EFI or XFI because if it is XFI then that is really not true.

Like everything... you get what you pay for. I took off a retrotek off of a merc last year that had their individual runner intake and it wouldn't even run. Over the passes it would run horrible. Put an XFI in it and was running great in 2hrs. Then drove it to Goodguys.
www.efi101.com
owner
Horsepower Connection.com
Fuel Injection Dyno Tuning Turbocharging
cell 360-280-6112