Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi875 View Post
far from it, but training for a marathon is tough, mentally more than anything. To think i had to run a extra 12 miles on top of what i ran on saturday is difficult. I like lifting but its tough when your running 30+ miles a week and after not lifting for a couple of days i feel flabby so to speak. Its a challenge, but its a good diversion from cars. thats for sure.
Man I can lift up a house, but I'm not tough enough for a marathon, huge respect.

The only cardio I can stomach is a 10 min thrash on the cross trainer, a 20 min fast jog or some mountain biking, Distance running takes way more resolve than I have
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Weighed in at 177.0 this morning. Two more lbs to my new goal weight. Down from 195 earlier this year.

After my run today, I checked my heart rate drop. It was 168 immediately after and 152 1 minute later. I just read if your heart rate drops less than 12 you need to work on your cardio fitness. I'd have to pull the article but your heart rate must be elevated to between a value and 80% of max before you can check it.

"Learn to work harder on yourself than you do on your job"

"Most of what you have today you have attracted by becoming the person you are today"

-Jim Rohn

What Jim means by that quote is your health, diet, relationships, fincances, and knowledge base. When those areas of your life improve, it will spill over into your career in a very positive way.

Last edited by Vegas69; 08-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Yeah the best thing about reasonable distance runs is that it helps you recover much quicker when you do more intense bursts of activities. Like boxers running the 5 miles in the morning

health/wealth/love all need work
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

This is one of my new favorite blogs. It touches on wide range of topics.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Yeah the best thing about reasonable distance runs is that it helps you recover much quicker when you do more intense bursts of activities. Like boxers running the 5 miles in the morning
This is what Crossfit is all about. I have not looked into very much, but it's training like a warrior instead of distance running and lifting 'reps'. The guy and his wife up the street do it and they're in great shape.

Last edited by Tony_SS; 08-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM

yes "crossfit" its 2012s "birkram yoga" lol
crossfits centers have been popping up like weeds around here this year.
just like birkram places in 2010 .

but the nutritionist my wife talks with (her client) does it and swears by it, he's been training for many year but says he feels hes in the best shape ever from doing crossfit. he said the actual work out is only around 20 min. but its pretty $$$

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM

this is whats great about exercising. There are tons of different approaches that will ultimately land us all in the same sort of state. Healthy Living!! It is not as much what you do, but that you do it. the minute you start exercising your body responds. i like to run and lift, others like to bike or swim or crossfit etc. etc. etc. Its all good. Plus its good to mix up stuff too, to confuse your muscles and work them in different ways. i just don't have the time right now, but after my marathon, you bet I will be mixing it up alot more. to everyone who is on this bandwagon. Just don't fall off!!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatinjay27 View Post

but the nutritionist my wife talks with (her client) does it and swears by it, he's been training for many year but says he feels hes in the best shape ever from doing crossfit. he said the actual work out is only around 20 min. but its pretty $$$
Yep seems to be the latest trend, but from little I read about it sound rooted in good methods...I'm all for the evolution of training.... Anyone remember the aerobic/butt floss fad? lmao
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatinjay27 View Post

My trainer and I talked about Crossfit today! He has a client that says it's the best thing that ever happened to her practice (some kind of sports medicine Doc)... wishes they'd open more of them.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 PM

This is probably the 10th time I've said it but, do you want to make a lifestyle change for a few weeks or life? Crossfit looks about like basic training or an mma fighter getting ready for his next rumble.

If you don't enjoy it, you won't continue to do it. I will admit the crossfit deal intrigues me, I just know it will be short lived. I'd rather find my natural balance in diet and excercise knowing that I can cement it into my life instead of quitting because it's to hard or time consuming for daily life.

It's not what you do sometimes that matters, it's what you do all the time.