Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 08-07-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoore
I vote black or black liner.. Had a car with the bottom painted body color and its a pain in the butt if you drive it. To me and its only my opinion is a car painted body color is a show car not a driver.
Of course it's a driver! If the owner wants it to be. IMO, Just 'cos a cars got a painted underbody doesn't mean to say you can't use it as if it had a linered underbody.It's not as if these are everyday drivers we're talking about. When the topside of a car gets dirty you wash it, same with the underside, just get out the pressure washer. I guess the idea is that if the underside is covered with black liner then you don't bother washing or looking after the underside of the car so often, but,...surely it's the same if the underside is painted, you wash it when you want to. What looks best, a dirty black linered finish or a dirty smooth painted finish....yep, a painted finish.What do you think when you see a painted finish....yep, detail & it gains peer respect. A black linered finish will always be just that when cleaned, but, a painted finish will always look better, even with a bit of road rash, stone chips etc. Just check the undersides of most Hot Rods, the chassis & undersides are hardly ever coated with 'liner & they're almost all painted & they use them on the roads (Ok I know you're gonna say they're trailered, but the majority aren't. No-one paints their new chassis with 'liner.) Besides,if you really can't live with the painted finish, you can always go & spray it with bed liner later, but if you spray it with 'liner you can't just spray on a smooth topcoat if you wanted to.

Of course this could run & run as it's only our individual opinions & it's up to you to do whats right for you. I think that if most people looked under a car & saw a dirty black 'liner finish, most people wouldn't give it a second glance, but if it were dirty or suffers from road rash, but painted, the car would gain respect from our peers as being a car that is used for what it was designed for.....being driven

Last edited by evilzee28; 08-07-2005 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added more
Old 08-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Evilzee, that's a good point. I think you are saying that to the wrong crowd though. From where I stand, I could care less if people looked at the bottom of my car to see how clean it is. I'm thinkng on the lines of not having to redo it again. If there were a paint that could do this, I'd more than likely go that route.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:29 AM

right its not a question of dirt but rocks, road kill. A 2x4 that fell out of a truck. muffler that fell of grandmas station wagon.. The list is endless.

steve
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 PM

True but repairing semi gloss paint or rino liner would be alot easier than a car painted show quality on the bottom. But hey that was just my opinion. He asked us for it, I gave it. If he wants to paint it body color more power to him. I hope he loves it. To each his own.

steve
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoore
right its not a question of dirt but rocks, road kill. A 2x4 that fell out of a truck. muffler that fell of grandmas station wagon.. The list is endless.

steve
At 5" off the ground or less, pavement will be a hazard! LOL!

Mike
Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 PM

WELL,I THINK A TRUCK LINER WILL BE BEST.IF YOU WORRY ABOUT CONTRAST YOU CAN ADD COLOR TO THIS PRODUCT TO MATCH PAINT ON CAR CLOSE BUT NOT EXACT.IT IS VERY DURABLE AND ACTS AS A SOUND DEADNER.IT ALSO SEALS THE AIR,MOISTER,SALT ETC.WHICH MEANS NO RUST.I'M GOING TO DO MY 69 CAMARO IN LINE-X.FROM BOTTOM FIREWALL WERE IT BENDS TO THE REAR TAIL PAN.THE FRAME,FRONT SUSPENSION,REAR END AND 4 LINK IS POWDER COATED.FRAME TIES AND REAR FRAME RAIL ARE IN POR15.

Last edited by intimidator69; 09-07-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 PM

I didn't read all of the posts.....but my .02

my car is silver adn I am going with a machinery grey on my belly. wheel wells will be black though (bed liner) I went with the grey since having everything black underneith sucks to work on (daily driver) so having a little contrast and lighter color will make it brighter under there for any parking lot repairs. I am skipping the truck liner underneith incase I ever need to weld on it since it will be a pain to remove it laying on my back. I am gonna bedline the inside floors though for some sound deadening