Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Default best fitting cowl hood and fenders for 69 nova (mold making for composite parts)

Hi all,

1. As some of you may know I am making molds from my OEM doors fenders deck lid and hood. Before I go and put 80-100 hours (hood only) into making a set of molds for a hood from unknown parts, I would like some recommendations from you guys on which parts FIT the best and LOOK the best. I am looking to copy a steel 2" cowl hood.

2. I am also in need of a passenger side fender. I would like an original fender that is in near perfect condition. I may be forced to buy a reproduction fender, but I'd rather not copy a copy.

3. Check out some of the pics I have posted of the work I am doing on the trunk. I filled all of the holes in the bottom of the trunk and eliminated a few dimples that are not necessary. Also I smoothed all of the seams and made all the surfaces blend together nicely. We are ready to pull a mold off of the trunk now that its all nice and pretty.

P.S. All of the parts I am making molds from (metal parts) will be for sale when I have good parts made. Someone will have a great set of perfectly straight and nice parts here... better than you can buy anywhere...
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Generally (and this is anecdotal) the reproduction first gen hoods run about 3/16" narrower overall width from side to side, vs. the original GM hoods. In addition, many have excessive "crown" or arc from front to back, and require some "persuasion" in order to lower this, in order to match the profile of the fenders.

So, if you were going to all of the trouble to make a mold, you should try to get your hands on an original GM hood.

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 PM

i have a perfect oem hood, its just not a cowl hood... i was afraid of that fittment issue. any opinions on fittment of aftermarket fenders? other than that they suck
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I am having trouble finding an oem fender that's in good shape. Can you guys reccomend a really high quality reproduction? I really don't want to copy a copy but I may have to...