Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Default My new shed project

I have been slowly collecting fabrication tools and equipment over the last few years. I now have most of what I need and it time to set it up to use. The problem is big fab machines take up a bunch of room. I need space for shelves and all my other tools on wheels that I need quick access to but are in the way when I am not using them.

The solution was to build a big storage shed just outside my back door. I looked at the prefab stuff and it was so light duty plus the sizes ava. just were not what I needed. The only ones long and skinny had the door at the end. I didn't want to walk 14ft to the other side everytime I need something. Plan B was have a custom building built. After talking with a few guys the $3500.00 figure was coming up.

I decided on plan C with no building experence wing it and do it myself. I have spent the last 4 months watching craigslist for used building materials and slowly collecting what I need. I now have most everything including some new trim and the 7 x 7 roll up door I ordered I am looking about $1200.00 total investment and my time. Its been a learning experience but one thing its really done is make me a better welder. I have always been an OK welder with the occational nice bead will show up. Well after the work on my building I am comming up with nice beads most of the time.

Started by laying the upright feet of the squared and chalk line peremeter.

Upright welded to the plates and those are bolted down with anchors

Using 3/4 black pipe tacked to the poles and turn buckles I was able to spread the uprights to where I needed them. The concrete is on a very slight grade so I used a cool little digital angle meter to make it 90 degrees from the concrete. I can already think of all kinds of future car uses for the tool.

A little welding sample.

frame almost done

I added the roof mid support and added a piece to the top of the front cross piece to match the pitch of the roof. I also welded rings to each upper and lower corner so I could use cables with turn buckles to square everything up nice. I then added a cross beam at the front that will help support the top of the door.

My door made it in Friday so that was the next order of business. I made a couple of base plates the bottom of the door frame will weld to and got those bolted to the ground. I also mangaged to cut and fit my door frame but run out of daylight before I could get it welded together.

close up of the weld for the upper door support beam

The door was delivered to my office. Had I known the crate would be that big I would have taken my trailer to work.

mounting pads for the door frame in place

door frame built ready to weld together

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 PM

Looking great, it will be a nice addition and last forever! Nice welds, I find it a lot easier to weld the heavier material than sheet metal. Great project for you!!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Great project --- Nothing better than a good "shed".

BTW -- You're doing exactly what I WARN others about - you're using your WELDER for something other than thin sheet metal! I always warn "newbies" to not think that once they have a welder and a little skill - that they will only ever weld up patch panels! There is so much more you can do with a good one!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Greg sooner or later your going to run out of room to expand.maybe you could fill in the pool and build another shed.lol keep up the work .
my name is Eric Hokenson I have a dream of building ten of the coolest hot rods out of my home shop wish me luck I am going to need it! - more pics on my web site www.erodzcustoms.com this is just for fun and i am NOT looking for any more work!
Thank you supporting sponsors! without you guys there is no way I could do this myself !
Modern automotive performance,Ring bros.,Yank convertors,extreme drive systems,Cj tunes,race coatings stainless works,Modern Automotive Performance.all of these shops have the experience to get your car to the top.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rodz View Post
Greg sooner or later your going to run out of room to expand.maybe you could fill in the pool and build another shed.lol keep up the work .
Not sure which GREG you're referring to... I have a pool - and a "shed" -- but this isn't my project... If I told Gwen I was going to fill in the pool... I'd probably be found at the bottom of it!!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM

ok so I messed up i saw you avatar and did not notice that it was not the thread starter.sorry I am an idiot my wife can vouch for me on that one.lol
my name is Eric Hokenson I have a dream of building ten of the coolest hot rods out of my home shop wish me luck I am going to need it! - more pics on my web site www.erodzcustoms.com this is just for fun and i am NOT looking for any more work!
Thank you supporting sponsors! without you guys there is no way I could do this myself !
Modern automotive performance,Ring bros.,Yank convertors,extreme drive systems,Cj tunes,race coatings stainless works,Modern Automotive Performance.all of these shops have the experience to get your car to the top.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rodz View Post
ok so I messed up i saw you avatar and did not notice that it was not the thread starter.sorry I am an idiot my wife can vouch for me on that one.lol

No biggie -- it was the "shed" moniker that got ya!!

BTW -- your wife called my wife -- we are in the same club!! Lucky us!!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Thanks guys. I am off some this week so I hope to get most of it done.

Richard J.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM

frame is pretty much done now but still need to skin it.

Richard J.