Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Default new here, thought I'd intro my work,self

Hello all,

I am a freelance designer, doing work from home. I looked up "project rambler", because I began drawing one up I am hoping to start building this year or next. And your own "radrambler" came up.

Anyway, I hope I can post some work, and let me know what you all think. Many of these are WIPS.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2006, 11:54 PM

Cool renderings dude. Stick around, this is a great place for this kind of stuff. Welcome aboard!

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdesign
Cool renderings dude. Stick around, this is a great place for this kind of stuff. Welcome aboard!

Thanks, I already checked out your work so don't think I'll be getting too many calls for paid work, but that's not what it's about. I don't think I do 1/2 bad for doing it 100% by hand and being 100% self taught (even my HS art teachers said I was more advanced than they were, one had me teah the class water color painting, lol).

I did the red rambler because I want to build one. I am starting a turbo kit company and once I start getting some money out of it, that will be one of the first projects. Another one I want to do for myself is the 49-51 Ford Coupe.

I do newer car design work as well, attached is a new version of the Lotus Esprit, designed to use an extruded and chemically bonded Magnesium frame, carbon fiber/fiberglass body and poly-ceramic engine block (no cooling needed and light weight) V8. With the light weight block and frame, curb weight could be well under 2000 lbs with driver.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2006, 11:26 AM

actually, my very first project for myself will be a new hi powered computer with the software to do 3D, a large Wacom, etc. Man I can't wait
Old 08-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the site!! You will be among some great artists! There is quite a group here you are now joining!

Tim
Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 PM

The Lotus looks great. What brands of materials are you using? Your work has a very artistic and bold touch to it. I can see bits of style from some of the other awesome artists that are members here...did they have any influence on you? or did have you been using that style all along?

Your background sounds a lot like mine. Feel free to ask questions on techniques or materials anytime. Keep posting work!!!!!

If you're interested here are a few books and links I still look through that have helped me along the way.

How to Draw Cars Like a Pro, by Thom Taylor
How to Design Cars Like a Pro, by Tony Lewin
Rendering With Markers, by Ronald B. Kemnitzer
Rapid Viz, by Kurt Hanks

www.cardesignnews.com (check out the tutorials in the process tab)
http://www.roadsters.com/art/

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 08-12-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The Lotus looks great. What brands of materials are you using? Your work has a very artistic and bold touch to it. I can see bits of style from some of the other awesome artists that are members here...did they have any influence on you? or did have you been using that style all along?

Your background sounds a lot like mine. Feel free to ask questions on techniques or materials anytime. Keep posting work!!!!!

If you're interested here are a few books and links I still look through that have helped me along the way.

How to Draw Cars Like a Pro, by Thom Taylor
How to Design Cars Like a Pro, by Tony Lewin
Rendering With Markers, by Ronald B. Kemnitzer
Rapid Viz, by Kurt Hanks

www.cardesignnews.com (check out the tutorials in the process tab)
http://www.roadsters.com/art/
Thanks for the compliments. Actually, the lotus was done after reading the third book on your list. I have several others on order, I just got that one the other day.

I am using prismacolor markers, bruynzeel colored pencils, and a generic acrylic white paint. I love this book, it looks really lame by the cover but it is really great and this drawing is quite an advance for me.

I do not tend to notice style much (more talent, accuracy) and actually this was one of the first backrounds I have put on a rendering. I just started doing shadows not long ago. So no, I wasn't influenced by anyone on here, actually I was more than 60% done with it when I signed up here.

I am a member on CDN, and will be checking out Roadsters.

I'm kind of discouraged on the whole car design deal, I think I have the ideation, but lack the formal training and ability to make it as pretty as many others, so I can't get real work. I've offered to do work for free, and nothing. I'll have to redo some of my concept ideas and post them, like I have one for a Chevy sports hatch that looks really cool, and a new DeTomaso Pantera that if I can get a rendering to come out nice enough I want to send to the factory as a proposal. I think that's the next one I am going to do with the markers.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:04 AM

The design aspect is the tough part. Formal training is almost a must. Many automotive designers (especially manufacturers) go to Art Center in Pasadena. The average age for a freshman there is 27 so most of them have probably already gotten an undergrad degree from another design school. It was too expensive for me at the time and life was taking me in other directions so I never went there. However, I did graduate from an engineering and design school with a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Design. I probably learned 3 times as much in my internships through there than the classroom.

The car design aspect of my education was self taught by coping photos and copying renderings from magazines since I was a kid...actually from some of the artists on this forum.

Be patient with your work. Keep drawing, keep experimenting, make a mess, and don't be affraid to spend the money on good materials. They really do help once you get the basics nailed.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The design aspect is the tough part. Formal training is almost a must. Many automotive designers (especially manufacturers) go to Art Center in Pasadena. The average age for a freshman there is 27 so most of them have probably already gotten an undergrad degree from another design school. It was too expensive for me at the time and life was taking me in other directions so I never went there. However, I did graduate from an engineering and design school with a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Design. I probably learned 3 times as much in my internships through there than the classroom.

The car design aspect of my education was self taught by coping photos and copying renderings from magazines since I was a kid...actually from some of the artists on this forum.

Be patient with your work. Keep drawing, keep experimenting, make a mess, and don't be affraid to spend the money on good materials. They really do help once you get the basics nailed.
check your PM box

I also wanted to ask if you use anything for masking. I bought a roll of masking..... umm stuff, and it sticks to my paper too well. I used it on an illustration and then when I went to remove it, it ripped up the paper.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Default hey

Yeah...your gonna wanna buy what we call frisket film...You can but it on low tack or high tack....Buy the low tack....And use it with a good marker bond paper....Like letramax...or even vinccent vellum...If you cant by that were you live call art centerask for student store and they can order/ship for you...If the film is still to sticky apply to a clean wall or glass and let it sit for a minute...then peel it off and put on the rendering...And ALWAYS use a sharp xacto...and dont cut through the paper....I dont use this techniqe any more...I use photoshop...But for discipline and practice this will help your sensitivty with your hand drawing skills....Lots of guys use the computer for rendering these days...But being able to do both is ideal....good luck

oh yeah...buy the best supplies you can get this means markers....prisma,chartpac,copic..etc.....
remeber tools dont cost they pay in the long run...

ss