Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 PM

Earls makes a lot of different hoses. That looks like their pro-lite 350 hose? Irrelevant, but even that hose is rated for vacuum at high oil temps. Unlikely that your hose is collapsing, in my opinion.
Oil that has been aerated will cause false oil pressure readings. The air bubbles in oil will often cause the oil pressure to read fine, because air is compressible, but in reality it’s not fine, and oil volume, not pressure, will be compromised, causing problems. However since your oil pressure gauge is bottoming out with heat, you have other issues.
What kind of pressure do you have at cold startup/idle?
Was this drysump setup designed by yourself, or a dealer?
Have you inspected your oil filter element for debris during this issue?
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieracing View Post
Guys please advice.

Why I am having a lot of air bubbles in oil in my ats/peterson dry dump tank after 10 minute drive. Engine temps are okay around 190 and suddenly oil temp begun rising close to 200. Then I can see oil pressude dropping. When I look in the tank after shuting the engine, there is a lot of air bubbles in the oil.

My tank is from botton to top of the fill neck 18” height and 6” diameter. I have ats / peterson breather can. All lines and fittings are earls size 12. Adapeter on the
Stock oil pan is GM.

Tank is on right front corner tucked front of the wheel. Botton of the tank is higher than oilpan.

I have there now about 9 quarts of correct oil. When oil has bubbles and I have shout the engine, oil level is about 3/4 of the tank. After it has cooled down and bubbles are gone, oil level is about 8” from the bottom of the tank.

what is wrong here?

Dry sump lubrication systems will ALWAYS have air entrapped in oil from the return (scavenge side). By the very nature in how dry sump systems work, the scavenge pump (or pumps) are always larger than pressure pump as they have to account for this increased volume. Return into tank is typically tangential to tank and then run through screens in tank to de-aerate the oil. Unlike the pressure pump side, the scavenge side can and will also be exposed to air during hard cornering, acceleration, braking, etc.

LS7 is a relatively simple dry sump - single pressure and single scavenge stage. Racing dry sump systems will have one pressure stage but many scavenge stages. Most still pull from sump, but they can also pull from heads or valley or turbochargers, etc. And they will also have entrapped air in return oil. The purpose of dry sump tank is to de-aerate the oil, and provide a supply of oil that will ALWAYS cover the pickup location for pressure stage. Tall small diameter tanks are far superior to being able to do this vs, wide, long and shallow oil pan sump.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikels For This Useful Post:
camcojb (09-11-2018), dhutton (09-10-2018)