Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
I decided I needed to come back and read this, and watch some videos.

Will be practicing on 18-20 gauge sheet metal scraps. I want to work on my Torino cowl after I learn from my mistakes, it won't be seen but I want to do a good job. I've already repaired some of it with MIG.

I was just at the local welding supply to get argon (92CF). He reccomended, and I bought.

*70S-6 filler 1/16X36 here pounds.
* 2% cerriated tungsten in 1/16 and 3/32, I bought one of each.

My family gave me the HTP-221 for Christmas, and it has an assortment of gas lenses, none of which are clear. It has a 17 torch and the standard lenses, etc.

The question is did I buy the correct supplies to get started burning coupons?

Thanks!

Quick response Joe —- yes...

See if I can say all this correctly so people understand what I’m saying.....

TIG welding - like GOLF has nothing to do with the equipment - and everything to do with developed or developing the skills required. The hardest part of welding won’t ever be the equipment at hand..... if you have the skill.

TIG is HARD — not in a hard way — but in the skill aquiriing department. It’s eye / hand / foot.... and it’s BOTH hands doing different things - and now add in the foot. I’ve been a drummer for over 50 years - “independence” of your hands and feet is mandatory. And if you ever learned welding (as I did) using a GAS torch and fill rod - TIG is similar and uses that same “SEEING the puddle - moving the puddle - and adding fill”. THIS IS HARDER than most think —- and it’s very frustrating to see all these other welders lay perfect stacks of dimes, as if done by a robot.... Those people are generally professionals.

I suggest people start on some thicker gauge material — so they can concentrate on the puddle and torch angle and hand steadiness etc versus burning / blowing thru - dealing with the warp - and all the other things that happen in a hurry when you’re just learning and using sheet metal. CLEAN THAT MATERIAL to bright shiny metal and prep it with acetone so it’s grease free..... and just run the torch to get your travel speed and heat control and settings and gas flow and all those basics.

When you feel you can “run a bead” — add the fill and this is when the poo hits the fan as you contaminate your tungsten..... and you begin to think you are retarded ..... keep at it — for hours and hours.... days..... you WILL BE HOOKED and it will test your will - because this should be so dang easy — and it’s NOT. LOL

Graduate to stitching some cheap short pieces of angle iron together for a butt weld - then join them together lengthwise - and make boxes — whatever..... but stick to this thicker gauge material... when you’re satisfied with what you’re doing - start joining thick to thin.... this is just more puddle control and heat control.. and warp control. And if you think you’re struggling — make up an ILL FITTING piece and try that - because that will teach you to make FIT UP KEY along with cleanliness....... because if it don’t fit — well... just do it - you’ll thank me later.

There’s more - but I need to go to bed.

HAVE FUN WITH THIS BECAUSE IT’S AN AMAZING SKILL

Gas Lens — good gas flow - need less CFH for similar job with standard torch

Last edited by GregWeld; 02-11-2019 at 10:40 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
572Camaro (02-13-2019), dhutton (02-12-2019), fleetus macmullitz (02-11-2019), jarhead (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks Greg!

My 68 Torino
Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Thanks Greg!
That got long winded — but it was an attempt to HELP people keep at this vs scare them away from trying.

To me personally - life and this hobby should always be about skill building and learning and having fun... What else is there. Get out there and pick up a tool.

BTW — Watching videos is extremely helpful - but then you have to TRY.....
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM

Learning to TIG weld is on my bucket list. I’ve got a new Diversion 180 sitting in my shop. I did some work for a retired high school welding teacher who I’m going to ask for help if I get stuck.

Don
Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 PM

Let me know how you like that Diversion 180 Don. It's on my radar and have heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm a total newb at TIG, did take some courses at the local vocational school years ago and got to play around with it. Will definitely sign up again when I have the time.

Great thread Greg, and thanks for everyone's input!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
Let me know how you like that Diversion 180 Don. It's on my radar and have heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm a total newb at TIG, did take some courses at the local vocational school years ago and got to play around with it. Will definitely sign up again when I have the time.

Great thread Greg, and thanks for everyone's input!
You’d think I thought I was the greatest TIG welder ever — and that couldn’t be further from the truth — but I’ve done it all — and I’m trying to write from a “been there and done that” perspective to help others.

It’s just like almost everything else we ever do in life —- we have to START somewhere — and gain experience and learn by doing and asking and trying again..... That’s where I’m trying to help.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Funny thing.., When I got married in 1989, I was in charge of the welding program at the Callaway Nuclear Plant in Missouri but didn't know how to weld.
And trust me.., welding programs at nuclear plants is serious business.
So anyway, I went to TIG welding school at nights. And on my first trip, my newlywed wife jumps in the car and proclaims, "I wanna learn how to weld too!"
Six weeks of night school later, my new wife could weld! As for as me.., well.., I am still learning every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to 572Camaro For This Useful Post:
jarhead (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Greg provided excellent advice regarding how to get started.
Follow his lead and you will fall in love with your new skill
The Following User Says Thank You to 572Camaro For This Useful Post:
jarhead (03-04-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572Camaro View Post
Funny thing.., When I got married in 1989, I was in charge of the welding program at the Callaway Nuclear Plant in Missouri but didn't know how to weld.
And trust me.., welding programs at nuclear plants is serious business.
So anyway, I went to TIG welding school at nights. And on my first trip, my newlywed wife jumps in the car and proclaims, "I wanna learn how to weld too!"
Six weeks of night school later, my new wife could weld! As for as me.., well.., I am still learning every day.
I bet you have run across my brother from time to time. He learned non-destructive testing in the Navy and has been inspecting welds and vessels ever since...for a long time was with a company (Acuren) in the KC area that did a lot of work with Nuke plants in the area.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
572Camaro (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I bet you have run across my brother from time to time. He learned non-destructive testing in the Navy and has been inspecting welds and vessels ever since...for a long time was with a company (Acuren) in the KC area that did a lot of work with Nuke plants in the area.
SS Lance, thanks for replying..,
Your brother was probably at my plant.
The NDE guys suck up serious radiation when doing non destructive examinations of the reactor vessel.
It's all about ASME
He is probably qualified to ASME Section IX, which is pretty cool.
Weld examinations at a nuclear plant include:
PT = Dye penetrant surface exam
UT = Ultrasonic exam
RT = Radiography exam. (either an Iridium or Cobalt 60 source)
VT = Visual exam.., usually at pressure and Temperature

I currently pt my welds when they involve suspension or steering or anything critical.