Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Greg,

You also have the advantage of a bigger shaker than Bob and I do. The later 2nd gen shakers have a steeper front edge which may help you out also...

In addition to the Dude Scoop that PTFB makes/sells, he also has a conical filter that may possibly work for you (I'm considering it also). He seems to have a shorter and a taller version of it. If you can get a drop base that it will sit in and clear, and your shaker will sit down over it, then I think that's a good option. With the bigger shaker scoop you have, it might work for you.

The one concern would be the shift to the side. Hard to tell how close the conical filter would be to the hood / shaker if your engine is offset that much.

Just one more think I'm also considering.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Greg, interesting data point here. When I dynoed a couple of weeks ago, we did so both with and without my current round filter installed. We removed it after a few pulls since we noticed vacuum in the manifold and wanted to see if it was the filter. It made very little difference. So we did the tuning without it installed and then reinstalled for one last pull. We lost 6HP when reinstalled, but it was also heat soaked, so to me it was little to no loss.

The filter I'm using is a 9 3/4" round 3" tall K&N at the moment just to give you an idea...

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Keep us posted. I'll get back on my own setup here soon...
What explains the vacuum in the manifold if the restriction isn't the filter. I have been also wondering about the opening size of the shaker scoops. In Bob's case I don't think that's an issue because it's open all the way around. If the only air is coming through that opening, does that choke the flow?

'78 Trans Am - Y88-R LS3/T56,
Holley EFI, UMI Performance
Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM

So one of the things I had to deal with on my EFI swap was the air cleaner tilt angle also. The Dual plane intake was tilted so the carb sat level and the single plane intake was not.

I already had a custom spacer to raise my cowl induction air cleaner up to seal against my hood but had to take about 0.600" off of the front of it and 0.200" off of the rear of it to set my air cleaner back against the hood.

I also had to bend about a 3 degree angle into the air cleaner stud so it lined up with the hole in top once again.

That doesn't fix the off to the one side issue but for front to back it worked like a champ.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Lance,

Did you use a mill to cut that angle? I've contemplated doing something similar, but as you said, it doesn't solve all of my problem...
Old 07-01-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gscherer78ta View Post
What explains the vacuum in the manifold if the restriction isn't the filter. I have been also wondering about the opening size of the shaker scoops. In Bob's case I don't think that's an issue because it's open all the way around. If the only air is coming through that opening, does that choke the flow?
Greg,

I believe I simply don't have a big enough plenum and throttle body to supply the air flow requirement of the engine. I have the highest-flowing 4150-style throttle body that I could find when I put it all together, but the engine is pulling a lot of air.

When we ran the engine on the engine dyno, we switched from the original intake I was planning to use (a ported Super Victor for the LS7) which also used the 4150 throttle body to a Mast 4500 single plane intake. No other changes. Peak HP increased by about 15HP, but the curve held on amazingly well with the Mast where the 4150 Super Victor started to roll off. The 4500-Mast could flow a lot more air into the engine. The problem is all of the 4500 throttle bodies which I have found are significantly taller than my 4150, which further complicates the problem we are already fighting...

I have to choke my engine to an extent with an even more odd-ball setup of intake to get things to fit. I'm using the LS3 version of the Victor Jr with adapters to mate to my heads. That dropped things down about an inch to get me where I am currently at. It was a painful thing to do, but I haven't found another good option yet.

One last thing... With the previous engine in the car and my previous shaker setup, removing the shaker (but leaving the air filter in place) didn't change the HP at all. I was using a 2.5" tall 14" round K&N with the K&N Extreme top in that case. So the shaker was flowing enough air to keep that fed which surprised me.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Lance,

Did you use a mill to cut that angle? I've contemplated doing something similar, but as you said, it doesn't solve all of my problem...
Yes, a friend chucked it up on a mill he has access too and shaved it down. Its funky looking for sure but solved the issue perfectly.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Greg,

I believe I simply don't have a big enough plenum and throttle body to supply the air flow requirement of the engine. I have the highest-flowing 4150-style throttle body that I could find when I put it all together, but the engine is pulling a lot of air.

When we ran the engine on the engine dyno, we switched from the original intake I was planning to use (a ported Super Victor for the LS7) which also used the 4150 throttle body to a Mast 4500 single plane intake. No other changes. Peak HP increased by about 15HP, but the curve held on amazingly well with the Mast where the 4150 Super Victor started to roll off. The 4500-Mast could flow a lot more air into the engine. The problem is all of the 4500 throttle bodies which I have found are significantly taller than my 4150, which further complicates the problem we are already fighting...

I have to choke my engine to an extent with an even more odd-ball setup of intake to get things to fit. I'm using the LS3 version of the Victor Jr with adapters to mate to my heads. That dropped things down about an inch to get me where I am currently at. It was a painful thing to do, but I haven't found another good option yet.

One last thing... With the previous engine in the car and my previous shaker setup, removing the shaker (but leaving the air filter in place) didn't change the HP at all. I was using a 2.5" tall 14" round K&N with the K&N Extreme top in that case. So the shaker was flowing enough air to keep that fed which surprised me.

Great stuff there Bryan! I too have the LS3 version of the victor Jr intake. I haven't run it yet with the shaker scoop on it yet and, It's not learned enough for that to even matter yet.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 AM

Lance - I will have tilt to deal with as well.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Definitely some good ideas here. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to do mine with my LS3 intake.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:00 PM

Default 78ta with Holley

Greg
A couple of shots of my setup

Bob
Attached Images