Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
Sorry to get off track, but I have not heard good or bad about American Speed.

Jody
I think American Speed is a good engine company. Of course there are others out there that can do the same thing. Either way you are going to have to consider cost and reputation. Nelson has a great rep but so does American. I Say pray about it and then Eni Meani Miney Moe should just about make that decision clear. And the 427 small block is the way I would go. Just because it sounds cool to say that your engine is a 427 small block. Plus it should rev a bit higher then the other big cube small blocks.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM NELSON
421/427/434/454 allright a 421 is a 4.155 bore with a 3.875 this is usually done on a stock block .A 427 is a 4.125 bore with a 4.0 stroke a 434 is the same accept it has a .030 larger bore and a 454 is done a two ways a 4.250 bore with a 4 crank or a 4.185 bore with a 4.125 crank.This is my opinion on these combos.If your going to build a 427 or 434 you build it with a 9.325 deck height block which is +300 tall deck.Also going with this type of block you run a raised cam journal +.391 this in turn picks the cam up away from the connecting rods so there is no clearancing done to the rods also .Another trick I do is run a 55mm cam hole which in turn you can make a faster camshaft ramp because its larger and not affect the reliability of it.So 427 or 434 as far as I'm concerned its the same motor just make sure it has these features.the 9.325 deck allows you to use a 6.200 long rod which makes your rod ratio much nicer.The 454's i would steer clear of one has to much bore for the casting meaning the bore center of a smallblock chevy is always the same so the material between the cylinders is not enough on the 4.250 deal not to mention the gasket sealing surface especially with two exvalves right there.the 4.185/4.125 is a better way but thats alot of stroke which runs into cylinder wall wear.I think the 427/434 tall deck is the way to go.and i would be glad to build it either way.Thanks Tom
Could you give be an idea of the block,heads and internals used. Would it be complete from carb to oil pan? What kind of price range and shipping prices would we be talking? Thanks, Steve.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:02 PM

Default 427 crate

I would use a Dart 9.325 splayed cap block with rocket pan rail.Callies 4340 forged crankshaft,Callies rods,Je pistons,Comp Cams custom roller cam and lifters,Cloyes chain,Clevite h-series bearings,Fel-pro gaskets,ARP hardware,Fully cnced Brodix 11xs or fully cnced 227 AFRs ,Edelbrock Super Victor ,850 holley,Billet msd distrib,Sfi harmonic damper,Comp Roller Rockers,Engraved polished aluminum valve covers.carb to pan it will cost11.500.00 shipping is usually 300 to 500
Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM

that is a very good price considering you know the workmanship is the best in the buisness!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM NELSON
I would use a Dart 9.325 splayed cap block with rocket pan rail.Callies 4340 forged crankshaft,Callies rods,Je pistons,Comp Cams custom roller cam and lifters,Cloyes chain,Clevite h-series bearings,Fel-pro gaskets,ARP hardware,Fully cnced Brodix 11xs or fully cnced 227 AFRs ,Edelbrock Super Victor ,850 holley,Billet msd distrib,Sfi harmonic damper,Comp Roller Rockers,Engraved polished aluminum valve covers.carb to pan it will cost11.500.00 shipping is usually 300 to 500
Thanks for all the info Tom. Will this run on pump gas? And do you offer a warrenty for the engine? It would be going in a 62 Nova that I'll be taking down to Detroit Speed at the begining of this year. I've been in the process of gathering info on different options I have for 427's for this car. How long would it take to assemble? Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Supporting Member

Buck -
You can't go wrong with stuff from Tom Nelson. The quality is undisputed. He used to get ragged on for being slow (if you knew how much time he spends on stuff as unglamorous as head gaskets...) but I have a fairly complex build-up and he got the long block and everything else put together about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule and impressed the heck out of me. (The holdup for the dyno testing is a one-off ATI balancer that is taking 6-7 weeks to hack out of a forging) I could even call him during lunch when he was stuffing his face and he would stop feeding and answer my questions or change a component if we thought that it would work better. You just don't find that kind of customer care most places - especially since we are at opposite ends of the country. Oh yeah, and if you can, he likes you to go to his shop and watch your motor being dyno tested. If not, he will film it for you.
Anyway, just my .02 cents.
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/...lownbbchigh.wmv
Project Rides:
1968 Firebird - Blown 540
1987 Blazer 4x4 - Blown 355
2007 Magnum
2010 Camaro SS - LSX Twin Turbo
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Supporting Member

Hey Buck -
One other thing.
You may want to look at Scott Gulbranson's (the owner of Lateral-g) link to his '69 Camaro. from Scott's Tech Sheet:

"Engine: Nelson Racing Engines 434 small block. Dyno'd at 583 hp at 6,400 and 550 ft-lbs of tq at 4,800. It has 10:1 CR, Dart Iron Eagle tall deck block, Cola 4" billet 4340 crank, 6.200" 4340 H-beam rods, JE pistons, custom ground Comp Cams solid roller, ported aluminum Pro-Topline 235cc heads (large intake runners for boost), Moroso fabbed pan, mini-starter, ported and matched Dart single plane intake unique for the tall deck, Victor water pump, remote oil filter..."
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/...lownbbchigh.wmv
Project Rides:
1968 Firebird - Blown 540
1987 Blazer 4x4 - Blown 355
2007 Magnum
2010 Camaro SS - LSX Twin Turbo
Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 PM

Tom,

Let me try the question again.

What would be the pros and cons of using a Chevy 24502495 - Tall Deck Aluminum V8 Block for a 427 turbo motor as opposed to using some of the other aftermarket aluminum blocks?

It also has the splayed main cap arrangement, wide pan rails, raised/big block cam and 9.00 - 9.500 deck.

Thanks!

John

John
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Tom Nelson

I Haven't used the bowtie block on that deal.I found in the past the gm stuff to be very good with the exception of the lifter bores from years ago which I'm told have been fixed.There Castings look really nice.The one thing I can warn you is on a Dart block And it may be the same on the Bowtie is that if you look at the sleeves where they have flats on them on the corners theres a little water port that the gasket sometimes doesn't cover very good and the water will fiqure eight around all the sleeves and run up the studs to give you a milk shake.So I'd watch for this.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Tom Nelson

2 months to build as of today.Yes 91 octane, I don't offer any warrantys per say but i stand behind my work 100% so if there was an issue i would take care of it .I will guarntee It will run perfect on the dyno,and invite you to come down and watch it make the number.Thanks Tom