Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Griffin? Becool? Ron Davis? What Size.

I'm curious what is preferred. My application will be for 450-550Hp motor. I'm looking for some input on what size/make radiator to use. Does not have to be a direct bolt on, I'm willing to do some fabrication to save myself some cash.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 AM

ron davis can make one exactly to your size specs.. you can even make a plywoos mock-up that you fit to whatever it is your building... (perhaps its a secret since you havent posted it in this thread??) and send that to them. and they will return a radiator that exactly matches that...

i have bought both be-cool and ron davis, and there is no comparison.. my vote is on RD
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrapovic
I'm curious what is preferred. My application will be for 450-550Hp motor. I'm looking for some input on what size/make radiator to use. Does not have to be a direct bolt on, I'm willing to do some fabrication to save myself some cash.

Thanks in advance
Deuce! You missed one thing in Akrapovics post. RD would not fit the criteria. Granted, he makes one of the best Rad's around but he is not cheap! I would say go AFCO or Griffin!!!!

John
Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 AM

hmmm. perhaps its just me trying to save other people the same headaches ive had... an undersized coolingsystem has cost me more than one major engine repair over the years, but if its not a car that sees track or fast highway use (or what ever it is.. and what its used for) then i suppose somhhing late model from the JY that fits is the best bet... ny money would be on a late model f-body with fans.. works great even in the proposed HP range, and costs somthing like 100 bucks with dual electric fans froom a junk yard or ebay.. all you would need to do is to modify the radiator support to fit.. or graft the f-body support onto your own.. perhaps even make it a removable-bolt on coresupport to ease enginework...

Last edited by deuce_454; 08-28-2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

It's not a question of capacity. It is possible to buy a high capacity racing radiator intended for a race car and then fabricate brackets. If enthusiasts have that capability, it is possible to save money as compared to a direct bolt in radiator. Cooling capacity will be the same. Last I checked, a racing radiators from AFCO, Fluidyne, Griffin without mounting brackets is around $299.

With regards to direct bolt in radiators, I prefer Fluidyne or Ron Davis. The Fluidyne is an excellent value and the Ron Davis piece is a work of art. Be Cool makes a nice part, but seems overpriced and is just a wee bit oversized.

Ridetech.com
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

I have a Ron Davis with their dual fan setup in the Red Witch, aluminum 565" and did Power Tour with no cooling issues at all.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Supporting Member

I've used the El Cheapo generic Jegs and Speedwaymotors rads before. I just get the biggest one that will fit in the hole. Combined with a good set of electric fans, and the temp never goes 10 degrees over the themostat rating, in traffic on a hot day.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I have trouble getting my Fluidyne bolt in radiator/Vintage Air Monster fan to 180 degrees in traffic on a hot day. In the winter, I need to block off part of the opening or it peaks at 150 degrees. 480HP.

Ridetech.com
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Yeah, I have trouble getting my Fluidyne bolt in radiator/Vintage Air Monster fan to 180 degrees in traffic on a hot day. In the winter, I need to block off part of the opening or it peaks at 150 degrees. 480HP.
Doesn't that fan have two speeds?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Uhh..Not that I know of. It certainly did not come with any kind of switch. Not a problem. It reaches 180 when I beat on it. Which is when I want it hot to make power.

Ridetech.com