Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Default PRE-Official build thread (NCT '70 Chevelle)

I need to gather up all my pics to current point of my '70 Chevelle build and I will make a official build thread BUT I am really pumped to have the car back on the ground driving again after being apart for a year. I have been driving it around town for about 2 weeks now working out a few small bugs but I am taking on a trip with my wife this weekend to Carmel and we both are really happy.

Here are some pics I took the other day of how she looks, I am as you can see ditching the chrome and going to a black theme. The car is the color it came as I got it and at first I wanted to ditch the vinyl top but after the changes I made I feel I am going to stick with it.

Let me know what you think so far, I will have more pics of all the upgrades so far we have done you can't see in these pics.

Yes...blue tape...the truck lock was not installed yet so blue tape held her down for a couple nights driving her home

I think if anything I may drop the rear alittle more to level the car out but over all I love the stance.

100% credit and THANKS goes out to Jeriah and Randy (Both Chevelle guys also), great friends that also work with me that really took over on getting this car back together for me, I would have loved to be the main person building my own car but I was way deep in work that I had to ask for help and they both stepped up and handled it for this trip my wife and I had planned for months, THANK YOU GUYS!!!

What do you guys think?

YouTube & Chevelle pics - Instagram @nick.v70 & @ChevelleFactory
Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM

I love it! I love the color combo! The stance looks great right now but will look even better leveled out in the rear a little more! Cant wait to see the build thread!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I agree the rear needs to come down an inch or so, but overall...Great! How's your driving impression with the new suspension? Sweet car Nick; 70s are my fav Chevelle....

P.S-> Vynil top looks good w the carbon!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Take those "DEAVER" springs out of the back on get that big girl on the ground.

Looks pretty good for a lifted truck guy, if that's what you into.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-Cal Nick View Post

I think if anything I may drop the rear alittle more to level the car out but over all I love the stance.

Those lower links need to be more level to the world. That will lower your instant center and possibly improve traction. But your springs are as far down as possible. So if you like the ride quality try ordering some shorter springs with the same spring rate. That will bring your adjuster up off the adjustemnt knobs. More then likely Alston will not have what you need. They don't have a huge selection of springs with weight and length. Hyperco is a good spring company. I get mine through Ridetech since I'm a wholesale dealer for them. I had to go to hyperco springs on my camaro for the same issue. Alston did not make a light enough spring for how light my car is.

You could also just move the lower link on the axle housing up in the lower bracket holes on the housing to set the link to the proper position until you change springs. With that big block you might also make sure the upper links are in the bottom hole.

Rodger

Last edited by ironworks; 06-16-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM

looks awesome with the v-top. the color wheels and top all just flow so nice together.
2 things that stand out to me are like you mention the rear need to come down to level out the car and second if its possible (rubbing at that height) the wheels in the front need to come out a bit, they just look odd being soo sunk in compared to the rears.

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks guys, I know the body is not in perfect shape, well you guys can't see it yet but once I know I have her all figured out I am stripping her apart and getting the body and paint done. Not sure color but I am feeling the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
Take those "DEAVER" springs out of the back on get that big girl on the ground.

Looks pretty good for a lifted truck guy, if that's what you into.
Your a funny guy... I can't believe you even knew what Deaver was...haha

Quote:
Those lower links need to be more level to the world. That will lower your instant center and possibly improve traction. But your springs are as far down as possible. So if you like the ride quality try ordering some shorter springs with the same spring rate. That will bring your adjuster up off the adjustemnt knobs. More then likely Alston will not have what you need. They don't have a huge selection of springs with weight and length. Hyperco is a good spring company. I get mine through Ridetech since I'm a wholesale dealer for them. I had to go to hyperco springs on my camaro for the same issue. Alston did not make a light enough spring for how light my car is.

You could also just move the lower link on the axle housing up in the lower bracket holes on the housing to set the link to the proper position until you change springs. With that big block you might also make sure the upper links are in the bottom hole.

Rodger
I am picking up what you are putting down, yea I need to find a coil spring the next length below what I have, looking to drop maybe 1" out the rear. I will check those out, if I can buy them from you I am down. I can get you the spec on these and go from there.

Thanks buddy, I am still wanting to bug you on that stuff we need to do, you know

Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-Cal Nick View Post
Thanks guys, I know the body is not in perfect shape, well you guys can't see it yet but once I know I have her all figured out I am stripping her apart and getting the body and paint done. Not sure color but I am feeling the top.

Your a funny guy... I can't believe you even knew what Deaver was...haha

I am picking up what you are putting down, yea I need to find a coil spring the next length below what I have, looking to drop maybe 1" out the rear. I will check those out, if I can buy them from you I am down. I can get you the spec on these and go from there.

Thanks buddy, I am still wanting to bug you on that stuff we need to do, you know
I'm getting closer. I have the early model digitized I just need to get the 2nd gen done. I had some paying customers step in the way of progress.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatinjay27 View Post
looks awesome with the v-top. the color wheels and top all just flow so nice together.
2 things that stand out to me are like you mention the rear need to come down to level out the car and second if its possible (rubbing at that height) the wheels in the front need to come out a bit, they just look odd being soo sunk in compared to the rears.

I feel the same on the fronts, this was my first go around on a old school from my past years when I had my first Chevelle, maybe 14 years back, ohh has it changed...WOW But I may order another set of wheels pending another step in my build for the total look I am after (Rear wheel wider & tire) so if that happens I will order a different front to pull it out. Right now I have room but the wheel wells are out, really thinking of doing a fab sheet metal inner wheel well rather use the OEM style, just look better.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I'm getting closer. I have the early model digitized I just need to get the 2nd gen done. I had some paying customers step in the way of progress.
Oh wait...my money is not good enough? You seen my stack on face book? That would have been the down right there.

Really, I am down on that last stuff we talked about so if you need a poke, push or a damn hug to get rolling let me know and I will stop by next time I am down there to see my girl friend Justina, How is his car coming?