Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-05-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Oil Cooler/Remote Filter?

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have swapped my TH350 tranny for a TKO 600. Now I have an interesting and annoying problem. I realized that I will not be able to change my oil filter without unbolting and dropping the driver's side exhaust header--there is no room to slip it in between the header tubes and the bellhousing. There is no room to drop it in from above either. (BTW, I am running 1 5/8" primary headers and a Lakewood steel bell.)

I figure I can: remove the header every time I change my oil (PITA), cut the heck out of the bellhousing (which will render it no longer SFI-approved), or remote locate the oil filter.

I like the idea of remote locating the filter, but I want to know a couple things:
1. Will the driver's side front be a good location for the filter (where the battery used to be before I put it in the trunk)?
2. Would my old auto trans cooler (aluminum) make a good oil cooler? I figure I can just tap into it since it is already attached to my radiator?
3. Am I overlooking anything?

Paul