Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 AM

Default Flat Black paint

Is the Hot Rod Flatz system inexpensive?
Is there a better Flat black paint system other than just primer for the hot rod look? That is the direction I want to go. I heard that there is a base/clear system that works well? Seems like I saw it on TRUCKS on spike tv, they painted a fat fendered chevy with it.

I don't know,.. does anyone in here know?
Looking for a flat black that will not chaulk up on me in a couple years. Any info is helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

WHAT THA... IT COST HOW MUCH?????

Last edited by juveteach; 02-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM

You could just use a base/clear with a flattening agent in the clear.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM

You might want to ask Andy, who built Rob Dyrdek's flat black 69 "Rogue Status" camaro. Search for his thread on the project update to see if that's the look you're going for.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM

Yep that is the way I want to go. I read it was a single stage with a flatten agent in it. Shoot and go. I will go that way or a 2k tintable primer.But HECK YEAH with that look. Thinking about no door handles to.
Thanks for the thread Bulldog. Read all 17 pages.

Mike

WHAT THA... IT COST HOW MUCH?????

Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 PM

sem makes a hot rod black in a kit works pretty good and its cheap, I spray diamont made by basf and they have a formula to make clear flat, or semi gloss, thats what I use it's easy to clean and very durable, you mix your clear normal and then add flop control agent, it works better than flattening agent , if your going for cheap use the sem stuff I used it on a 46 ford coupe and it looked very good
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Sort of on topic but I was curious as to the upkeep on a flat/semi flat paint job.
I was considering this for my daily driver but wanted to know if there is any drawbacks/hassles inherent in 'living' with this type of finish. ie water spots, oily fingerprints

Is it also difficult to touch up rock chips?
"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up."
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM

I Used Rm Clear Dc5775 Works Really Good
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Try Cumberland Products. www.cumberlandproductsinc.com We talked to them for a while at SEMA the last 2 years. I told my buddy about the paint so he bought it to do a chevy truck. He took it to another friends body shop who doesn't like doing flats and he sprayed it. He said it was great to shoot and turned out really nice. I would give them a call, great product.

68 Camaro, LS1 T56, DSE Speed Kit 2, DSE Quadralink, DSE Mini Tub, Forgelines, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, GM Tilt Column, Corbeau Seats
2012 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7L Diesel CCSB
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM

There are several good systems out there, both base/clear and single stage. The latest one that I used is Eastwoods "Dead rat flat black" which is just that.... very low gloss, very black. I shot the rolling thunder Ranger project with it on the show. I've also used Eastwoods Rat rod flat clear on the JADED Mustang underhood and for accents/chassis paint,and was very happy with the clear and how its easy to spray evenly.. SUMMIT's single stage is good, but I fond the PPG 2060 Flexed N flat a little unpredictable.... had a hard time with "striping" in the clear, but for small parts is good. ( Finch has used it with much sucess on his silver Camaro though... may be pilot-error on my part.

I'd stay with a single stage for simplicity, and gently nudge toward eastwood, just for the sake of value combined with a great product... = not expensive.

JMHO

KT.
PTFB, Viking, Holley Performance Products, BFGoodrich, Heatshield Products, Turbonetics, Hellion Turbo Systems,TCI, Dennys driveshafts, Eastwood, Preferredline Media, Summit Racing, Strange Engineering, Forgeline, TMI Products, DBR High Performance, Spectre Performance, Vintage Air, NPD, Digitails, Redline Lumtronix, Dakota Digital, Newport Engineering, Stage 8 fasteners, Industrial Depot, Brian Finch, Grant Salter, and many more Good friends with big hearts.

Last edited by kttrucks; 08-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

guys there is a new paint out,the brand is Excel and its a single stage urathane that has a perfect finish to it,you can get it in satin or flat,I used satin on all of my car and really am satisfied with it,here is a pic of underside and subframe