Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Suspension or paint first?

Should I install my G link before or after the paintjob? Obviously I dont want them to scratch the paint installing it but I also donw want overspray on the thing.

What did you guys do?

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM

tackle the suspension first. There are always adjustments or modifications that will need to be made.

I think all lines, suspension, engine, and transmission should be installed at least once before paint. I guess if you were going with some basic bolt ons it would be ok to paint before. You can always remove the parts and/or spend time taping them off before shooting the car.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM

I agree that you should do the suspension first. I am actually in the same situation and have decided to get the suspension out of the way and then make sure everything is taped off really good to avoid overspray.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM

You want the car on its suspension so the body is under the stress it will be under for life. If the bodywork and blocking is done with the vehicle on blocks or a jug, the body can change when it is on its tires and what was a straight panel now can have a whalr of a deal in it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
You want the car on its suspension so the body is under the stress it will be under for life. If the bodywork and blocking is done with the vehicle on blocks or a jug, the body can change when it is on its tires and what was a straight panel now can have a whalr of a deal in it.
I never really thought about that. That is some good info. I see a ton of builds where guys do everything from a rotisserie, body cart, jig. All my panels and bodywork was completed on a body cart..hope I don't have any problems.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcbri View Post
I never really thought about that. That is some good info. I see a ton of builds where guys do everything from a rotisserie, body cart, jig. All my panels and bodywork was completed on a body cart..hope I don't have any problems.
Me too! I installed my trunk pan and full floor with the car on a cart. I plan on installing the passenger side quarter and tail panel while the car is on the cart and then doing the suspension next. I want all the blocking, sanding, and painting to be done with the car on it's suspension.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253

Last edited by ItDoRun; 03-02-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John510 View Post
Should I install my G link before or after the paintjob? Obviously I dont want them to scratch the paint installing it but I also donw want overspray on the thing.

What did you guys do?
Did you get the weld in G-Link for a mini tub application? If so, detail the installation procedure with pictures if you can. Chassisworks failed to do this. Mine came with the instructions for the bolt on application.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....

Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM

We are working on getting him a G billet with offset balls. Going to be a first if we pull it off.

On another note, guess what I got today? I got my G Link and rear so we will jump on that later in the week.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
We are working on getting him a G billet with offset balls. Going to be a first if we pull it off.

On another note, guess what I got today? I got my G Link and rear so we will jump on that later in the week.
Finally! I'm sure I'll be calling you before too long. Post pictures for us please.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Hopefully it works. I just love those billet arms

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline