Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-16-2020, 06:50 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

How do you know this, Mark?!

Great stuff as always. I really enjoy learning and reading about the technical aspects of it too. Thanks for taking the time.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-16-2020, 07:19 PM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Ask him how he knows this.

I had a dry sump tank leak on Hellfire. Had to pull the fender to fix it. Kinda of a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Hi Mark, I have a question regarding your choice of engine management.

I know you're an engineer for GM so I can see why you'd favor the factory ECM's, but have you ever considered something like a Holley Dominator or HP or even the new Terminator system for one of your builds?

Can you explain why you use the factory ECM?

I'm at a point in my build where I'm looking at this and I'm torn on what to do after seeing all the success you've had running factory ECM's. I was looking in to a Holley Dominator for my LS7 because I needed DBW control and wanted to keep 2 O2 sensors, which you can only run 1 with the Terminator. I think the Dominator would be overkill really for my setup with endless inputs and outputs that I'll never really use. I just think if it works for you, it must work for me.

Would just like your insight.

Thanks,

John
Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
Hi Mark, I have a question regarding your choice of engine management.

I know you're an engineer for GM so I can see why you'd favor the factory ECM's, but have you ever considered something like a Holley Dominator or HP or even the new Terminator system for one of your builds?

Can you explain why you use the factory ECM?

I'm at a point in my build where I'm looking at this and I'm torn on what to do after seeing all the success you've had running factory ECM's. I was looking in to a Holley Dominator for my LS7 because I needed DBW control and wanted to keep 2 O2 sensors, which you can only run 1 with the Terminator. I think the Dominator would be overkill really for my setup with endless inputs and outputs that I'll never really use. I just think if it works for you, it must work for me.

Would just like your insight.

Thanks,

John
John

I have been a fan of the GM controllers for most of my recent build for a few reasons. Refinement of calibration, and familiarity. The E67 used by the LS9 was used for a long time and was a very refined package. We have refined the 427 LS9 package for 10 years and over 30 engines. That package is sorted!

If the engine stays relatively stock the OE controllers work great with tools like HP Tuners. My buddy Dave Mikels tuned all this packages and continues to make them better.

I'm moving toward a hybrid set up on my LT5 do to the fact the GM ECMs will not do what I want to do. The aftermarket has made big gains in the last few years in refinement. I know as I move into a new control system we will have some learning curve. As a GM engineer I like things refined. Holes in an engine calibration bug me.

Mark
fleetus macmullitz (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 AM

The DSE sub from has a divot in it to clear a dry sump LS7 oil pan. Works good for that the LT4s and LT5s have the drain plug in a slightly different spot. So the guys at Sled Alley moved it.

People ask me why do you keep building 69 Camaro. I just keep on refining them. I missed this detail on Gunner with the LT4. I’m fixing it this time.

Bugged me every time I had to do an oil change.

camcojb (01-22-2020), fleetus macmullitz (01-22-2020), Ketzer (01-23-2020), Ns RS (01-22-2020), redfire69 (01-30-2020), WILWAXU (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
John

I have been a fan of the GM controllers for most of my recent build for a few reasons. Refinement of calibration, and familiarity. The E67 used by the LS9 was used for a long time and was a very refined package. We have refined the 427 LS9 package for 10 years and over 30 engines. That package is sorted!

If the engine stays relatively stock the OE controllers work great with tools like HP Tuners. My buddy Dave Mikels tuned all this packages and continues to make them better.

I'm moving toward a hybrid set up on my LT5 do to the fact the GM ECMs will not do what I want to do. The aftermarket has made big gains in the last few years in refinement. I know as I move into a new control system we will have some learning curve. As a GM engineer I like things refined. Holes in an engine calibration bug me.

Mark
Hi Mark. So what controller are you using?

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Hi Mark. So what controller are you using?

Thanks,

Don

I’m using two. The GM E92 to control most engine functions plus a Holley (TerminatorX) piggyback ECM to control the extra 8 PFI injectors and the electronic bypass valve.

It is a bit of a science fair project but allows access to the functions we want.

More to come when we get on dyno.

Mark

camcojb (01-22-2020), Che70velle (01-24-2020), dhutton (01-22-2020), fleetus macmullitz (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
John

Mark

Thank you for the response. I'm familiar with Dave and his wealth of knowledge from reading the thread on PWM control. The man definitely knows a thing or two about these ECM's.

Keep us updated every step of the way! My Dorman MC arrives tomorrow! 👍🏼
Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I’m using two. The GM E92 to control most engine functions plus a Holley (TerminatorX) piggyback ECM to control the extra 8 PFI injectors and the electronic bypass valve.

It is a bit of a science fair project but allows access to the functions we want.

More to come when we get on dyno.

Mark

Ok so now I am confused. Are you replacing the direct injection with port injection or are you using both which sounds a little mind boggling.

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM

The LT5 uses both kinds of injectors. I think the DI injectors run out of steam at a certain power level and the port injectors supplement them.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac For This Useful Post:
dhutton (01-22-2020)