Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2014, 07:31 PM

Default New Project! ZedSled 78 Z28

Well, I'm over at the dark side... switched from my JADED 66 Mustang Coupe to a worn out 78 Z28. The angle is budget pro-touring... nothing exotic, no hyper expensive mods, Junkyard LS power, leaf springs out back, and simple but effective mods. I'm really looking forward to this one! I had a buddy in High school that had this car with a 4 speed ( i'm staying with automatic) and it brings back some fun times!! I'll look forward to advice and input from the many folks that have done 2nd Gens here. Thanks in advance for advice, opinions, and the odd bashing.

Name:  Zedsled  KT half size.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  283.1 KB

Name:  ZEDsled_TV half size 2.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  121.8 KB
PTFB, Viking, Holley Performance Products, BFGoodrich, Heatshield Products, Turbonetics, Hellion Turbo Systems,TCI, Dennys driveshafts, Eastwood, Preferredline Media, Summit Racing, Strange Engineering, Forgeline, TMI Products, DBR High Performance, Spectre Performance, Vintage Air, NPD, Digitails, Redline Lumtronix, Dakota Digital, Newport Engineering, Stage 8 fasteners, Industrial Depot, Brian Finch, Grant Salter, and many more Good friends with big hearts.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM

This is going to be a pretty cool project.I always liked this model year nose.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM

I'm an old school style set up guy myself so I'll look forward to seeing this one play out but your going to have to dump the auto.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Kevin Welcome to the LIGHT ( Chevy that is! ) Do us proud!!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Welcome Kevin, looks like an awesome project. My Dad and I just built an ls powered late second gen;

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=26228

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress as this is the direction we are headed with ours as well.
-1967 C-10 step side 4x4
-2000 Dodge Dakota

it'll buff out........
Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM

Default Sweeeeeet

Kevin, Looks like a very nice starting point and rendering, subscribed to this thread for sure. Will any of the Power Block Guys be doing any work/ mods on your car in any upcoming episodes? (if you can say?)
Thanks
Kieth
Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Looking forward to see what you do with this one Kevin. I had a couple of these back in the mid '90s. Sounds like a fun build!

1965 Chevrolet C10
1982 Chevrolet C10 - My son's Truck - Sunburn
Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 PM

This is going to be cool

Plenty of suspension choices out there. Pro-touring f-body and Custom Works come to mind first. Bigger names like Speed Tech, Ride Tech, DSE, Hotchkiss, and Global West are there as well. Good luck!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks guys!! I've had serious internal debates regarding the automatic trans.... Personally I love rowing through gears, but not every car is standard-shift. I think it can still be "pro-touring" with a slushbox.. especially one that's tweaked properly, but I'm on a serious budget with this one and 4l80's ( even rebuilt) are out there all day long under a grand.

Budget doesn't mean cheaply built to me, just carefully chosen dollars and not reaching for the highest level component without weighing the odds. I've driven leaf sprung cars that handle like slot cars, and am really looking forward to not only making a fun car even better, but seeing how much this platform can be improved without just throwing the checkbook at it.

The rendering is a Steve Longacre concept... he's who I reach for because he "sees" cars and design, and always helps with blending my ideas into a practical application of design. On top of that he's very reasonable. if anybody ever wants to get in touch with him PM me and I'll put you together.

Unfortunately, Powerblock does not support anything we do outside of their world. I had to lobby real hard to get my personal vehicles in the building, and working on them in the building or on the shows is a strict no-no. It's just the way it is... and we choose to either go along with the rules, or get out of Dodge and make our own.

I always appreciate the wealth of knowledge here... you guys are top shelf and I always learn from reading and watching... thanks!! We're on to metal replacement on the tub, followed by chassis upgrades very soon... I'll keep posting. Here's some proof of a rough history!! LOL!
PTFB, Viking, Holley Performance Products, BFGoodrich, Heatshield Products, Turbonetics, Hellion Turbo Systems,TCI, Dennys driveshafts, Eastwood, Preferredline Media, Summit Racing, Strange Engineering, Forgeline, TMI Products, DBR High Performance, Spectre Performance, Vintage Air, NPD, Digitails, Redline Lumtronix, Dakota Digital, Newport Engineering, Stage 8 fasteners, Industrial Depot, Brian Finch, Grant Salter, and many more Good friends with big hearts.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Are you planning to minitub? You could always show how to do it by simply cutting the old tub out, adding a 2 or 3 inch strip, and welding the tub back in. The DSE tubs are very nice but I don't think they really work when sticking with a budget approach. Just a thought

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims