Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Default 3 link suspension

Does any one have a 3 link suspension. I have been looking for an inexpensive way to set up my 73 camaro and I have heard a little bit about 3 links but cant seem to find one or even a custom one on any ones car. I have seen Triangle 4 links and it doesnt seem to be to difficult to build or have built but what about 3 links.

I would like to see a pic of one. any body out there help.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Lateral Dynamics is going to unveil their three link rear suspension to the public in a couple of weeks at SEMA. I'm sure when Mark of Lateral Dynamics(Mean69) sees this thread he'll reply with some info for you.

From what he's told me, this is going to be a kick-ass package for sure.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 PM

Default yes

hello

go to my cars page (69 rambler) youll see i have a three link.
torque arm with two control arms....ive been told 4 link setups dont work as well as three links, not that people dont use them but that according to the guy who helped build my setup (he builds asphalt circle track cars)races them and wins... three links are the way to go......i know somebody will try and debate or give me crap about it.DONT CARE !!! that this company does this and builds 4 links chassis setups .blah blah blah....i was explained why 3 is better than 4 . so i went 3 link...

YOU COULD RUN A SETUP LIKE MINE

radrambler
Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrambler
i know somebody will try and debate or give me crap about it.DONT CARE !!! that this company does this and builds 4 links chassis setups .blah blah blah....i was explained why 3 is better than 4 . so i went 3 link...

radrambler
No one is going to debate that 3-link or T/A arrangement is a better way to go than a 4-link in a "G" machine application, it is a fact not an opinion. Your post does come off a bit arguementative though.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907rs
Lateral Dynamics is going to unveil their three link rear suspension to the public in a couple of weeks at SEMA. I'm sure when Mark of Lateral Dynamics(Mean69) sees this thread he'll reply with some info for you.

From what he's told me, this is going to be a kick-ass package for sure.
I did in fact speak to Mark (Mean69) and his rendering was awesome it really looks like a fine peice of work. but I have yet to see any 3 link package that was put on. I just wanted to see if it has ever been done on another car yet and if anyone has pics of it.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:59 PM

Default inexpensive and high performance

do not go together period.
no matter how you go you will spend just about the same amount if you paid your self for labor, whether you buy stuff from ame and hack together a 4 bar or buy a detroit 4 link or a lateral dynamics 3 link.
however if you want your car to perform the lateral dynamics 3 link is gonna kick some ass and be worth every dollar they ask for it.
mark and crew will strive to make it THE BEST bolt/weld in custom rear suspension out there check for them at sema i am sure orders will come in fast.
goodluck
jake
Old 10-20-2005, 05:26 PM

Default no biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis68
No one is going to debate that 3-link or T/A arrangement is a better way to go than a 4-link in a "G" machine application, it is a fact not an opinion. Your post does come off a bit arguementative though.

i just wanted to stop anyone before they started with ..this company does this in a 4 link blah blah blah...BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT NOT EVERYONE KNOWS..HARMLESS OR NOT
IM NOT ON HERE TO DEBATE..IM ON HERE TO HAVE FUN....THATS THE WHOLE DEAL FOR ME .FUN.I DIDNT WANT ANY PISSING CONTESTS WITH SOMEONE WHO DOESNT ALREADY KNOW 3 LINKS ARE BETTER....3
ITS ALL GOOD....I DONT WANT TO SOUND NEGATIVE TORWARDS ANYONE ...
I JUST WANT TO SHARE THE CAR THING AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!

THANKS
RADRAMBLER
Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrambler
hello

go to my cars page (69 rambler) youll see i have a three link.
torque arm with two control arms....ive been told 4 link setups dont work as well as three links, not that people dont use them but that according to the guy who helped build my setup (he builds asphalt circle track cars)races them and wins... three links are the way to go......i know somebody will try and debate or give me crap about it.DONT CARE !!! that this company does this and builds 4 links chassis setups .blah blah blah....i was explained why 3 is better than 4 . so i went 3 link...

radrambler
I saw your car and I like the way you have your set up. It really doesnt look to complicated. Did you have to cut up any of your floor?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 AM

Hi guys,

***Rad: I don't think you need to worry about the debate between four link setups, and three link setups on this forum, it is pretty simple to show the benefits of a three link over a four link. Technically, what it sounds like you have is a torque arm, and though there are three physical links on the system, it behaves quite a bit differently than a "three link" (the main thing being that the center link on a torque arm is rigidly mounted to the axle assembly, whereas a three link is joined via a bushing or link, and is allowed to rotate in bump/droop).***

Attached is a Solid-model of the Lateral Dynamics Three Link setup, all of the work was engineered in Solidworks software, including strain/defelection analysis on critical points. We use Bill Mitchell's WinGeo to model the actual suspension kinematics for those of you familiar with the software packages available. This design is an "improved" version of what has been in our test mule for nearly a year now. Improved, meaning the brackets and other aspects are a bit better thought out than the prototype, but the suspension geometry is the same, and we are pretty proud of it.

The setup has yet to be installed on a customer car, though two cars are in the process of installation at this time (one first gen on the east coast, one second gen in our shop in California). Both cars are on rotisseries, and will serve as the basis for generating an extensive installation instruction and setup guide. The setup is commercially available right now, though due to the SEMA show, deliveries will be a couple weeks out. We had some issues finding reliable suppliers early on and that cost us a good amount of time, but we now have found reliable, capable folks for the elements we don't have the tooling to build, thanks to some key contacts from friends in the industry. All of the crossmembers, brackets, and most importantly, the rear end assembly (9" Ford based assembly) are fixture welded by us, I am very confident that you will be extremely pleased with the quality. You won't have to fuss with welding brackets to the axle tubes and needing to straighten things afterwards, we take care of that for you. Installation is not terribly complex, but does involve some careful cutting, and of course, welding of the crossmember brackets. It is no more complex than installing a set of mini-tubs, or through floor subframe connectors.

The kit is a very complete setup, less components that are very customer preference specific. Namely, the center section/differential/gear setup, axles, and brakes are not included. The reason is that there are so many options, it would be very difficult for us to stock all of this at this time, though we can recommend and supply these components as an option to the kit. Brakes are based upon the highly popular Corvette "C5" configuration, so any commercially available C5 kit will work, from the very good, budget friendly GM parts, to aftermarket endurance race setups, and anything in between. The base kit comes with a set of Bilstein mono-tube coil over shock absorbers, custom valved for our application so you don't need to fuss with setting. A matched set of Hypercoil or Eibach springs is also included. Penske Racing Shocks are available as an upgrade, and though relatively expensive, these shocks are generally regarded as the best practical racing shock, and are highly supported: you can't go to a track these days and NOT find someone that can rebuild/service Penske's. The model shown has heim/rod ends in all pivot locations, however, high durometer rubber bushings are included on the base kit to help keep road noise down. Rod ends in all locations are also available. Because we control all aspects of the design, custom width rear ends, full floating axle-hub setups, and other configuration are all available.

Our website is under construction, we will have a temporary one up in a few days with more details and pictures of the setup. We will be at SEMA with a booth (#52425) and a display setup, so if you attend the show, please stop by and say hello. I'll drop some pic's of the hardware here in the very near future.

Mark
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Mark that is a nice set-up! Are you going to be doing anything with A-bodys...just wondering!

Looks great though