Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean 69
Den, nice response, I was wondering how'd you reply! I guess we are all getting a bit nicer these days, eh?
M
Nah, just caught me on a good day (Coleman order showed up toady so its like Christmas).
Old 01-19-2006, 10:46 PM

Thank you ptaddict. That information should be very helpfull. I now see why this is much more complex then srtaight link set up. Is there any web sites with information as well??

Thanks again!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis68
Ahh, the drag guys don't care. Just weld in some tubing in place of the shocks and you'll have all the A/S you want.

BTW, the links being parallel (in plan view which is what a parallel 4-link implies) has no bearing on A/S characteristics.
Ah, plan view. To me, using "parallel" when referring to a plan view is misleading because you don't know if it's a converging four link, or a parallel (side view) four link. So saying a "parallel (plan view) four link" seperates a triangulated setup from two other four links: one which is great for drag, and the other is lousy.

Anyway, Mark, we can and sometimes do supply the end user with baseline geometry if that's what they want. Typically people just place the brackets wherever they can to make the sucker fit since most people don't like to remove the stock trunk pan or rails.

These guys are often swamped with phone calls, but they manage to handle it all. I'm glad I'm not involved with that!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tream
Thank you ptaddict. That information should be very helpfull. I now see why this is much more complex then srtaight link set up. Is there any web sites with information as well??

Thanks again!!
Actually, I don't know of any good web resources. There is plenty of good info in the corner-carvers.com forums, but lots of noise too, and they seem to cultivate a uniquely confrontational style that is not easy on newbies.

Most of my suspension knowledge comes from the aforementioned books by Herb Adams, Fred Puhn, and Steve Smith. Just a personal opinion, I prefer the Adams book for basic knowledge.

There is an article in Pop Hot Rodding, by John Parsons, who is a regular on many of these boards, which does a good job explaining many of the basics for front suspension:

http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0505phr_susp/