Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

http://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=GT55testing

Here is a link to the testing videos and pictures of the GT55 being tested. The suspension was a triangulated 4-bar with our own design of IFS. The Tri 4-bar was chosen because of its compact design, low profile frame rail and the fact that since it doesn't need a track locator there is extra room for the exhaust system. On the GT55 we averaged 0.94G (0.92 one way, 0.96 the other) with a 245 F/ 275R BFG G-Force TA KD combo. The GT55 is still the fastest car that Primedia has tested on the slalom course......

I was talking with Katz yesterday about 3-link designs, and the frame rail kick up and supports for the upper link would more than likely require the builder to scrap the back seat and utilize a roll cage to tie into that upper mount for extra support. The fact that we are asking people to re-work the floor narrows the market down a bit, but to tell people that they need to run a roll bar/ cage and eliminate the rear seat narrows that down even further.

I guess it boils down to what the car is actually going to be used for. If you are looking to build a trans-am car that is occasionally driven on the street then the full cage, full frame, custom rear suspension is for you. If you are looking for your car to perform to the equivalent of a C5 Z06, Porche 911, Ferrari 575 then our setup might be what you want.

I will extend the invitation that once we get the GT55 back (its out on the show circuit now but will be back in April) to come up to Fife, WA for a shop tour and a test ride in the car so you can see how a tri 4-bar car rides and handles.

With the question of weight, the next chassis that comes off of the table, I will make sure that we scale it!

The chassis is similar to what we build for JP, but we have changed the front-end rail design around as well as the exhaust holes. They (exhaust holes) were designed for 3" exhaust, and the rear tube is .250" to increase chassis ridgity.

Thanks guys
I hope this helps out!
Watch the videos!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 AM

I'll try the link again....
http://www.artmorrison.com/gallery/v...me=GT55testing
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Supporting Member

Wow, that's incredible! If this was posted on April 1, I might not have believed it...

camarorestoration.com
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Engine Position

Craig,

Thanks for the reply. Will a BBC sit in the stock location? It looks like it may have to be moved back some with the R&P.

Bill
Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Does anyone have an idea on price? Also this is going to be available for a 69 camaro correct? I watched the vids and i need to say that was AMAZING. That little 55 looks bad ass hitting the track!

William
Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM

So how well does the tringulated 4 bar work in the 1/4 mile? I am more of a drag racer (bout 1-2 times a month) but my car is also a daily driver.

Thanks

Kyle
Old 04-06-2005, 04:21 PM

Bill- I'll speak with Art to see where a BBC sits in there. It won't be until Monday since Art's out of the office.

William- The price for one of these chassis with tri-4 bar rear and C5 front is $12473. That is a fully welded chassis with sway bars, shocks (single adj Strange), springs, RE housing, Strange 3rd member with your gear choice & posi unit, 31 spline Strange axles, power rack (20:1 or 15:1 ratios), all the C5 components direct from Chevrolet (not used pieces), Corvette C5 brakes up front & Wilwood brakes in the rear.

With C5 front suspension, you will be limited to Vette backspacing on the wheels and will need to move the motor back about 5" to clear R&P, which aren't really bad things since you will have a very small scrub radius and killer weight balance

The price for this chassis with tri-4 bar and our IFS up front is $1056.00 that includes all of the above but with our IFS up front and brakes are our 11" disc kit in front and the SVO disc kit in the rear. Other brake upgrades are available. With the IFS you don't have the dramatic engine setback due to its rack location and have a larger variety of wheels to choose from.

Please keep in mind that these prices are for "standard" packages. There are things that you can delete to reduce the price and there are upgrades as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 PM

See Below !!!.

Last edited by Ummgawa; 04-06-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 PM

"The price for this chassis with tri-4 bar and our IFS up front is $1056.00 that includes all of the above but with our IFS up front and brakes are our 11" disc kit in front and the SVO disc kit in the rear. Other brake upgrades are available. With the IFS you don't have the dramatic engine setback due to its rack location and have a larger variety of wheels to choose from."

Sign me up!! I am all the way in at that price

By the way , if we group purchase, can we get a better deal?

Last edited by Ummgawa; 04-06-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Good stuff, indeed

Craig, welcome.

As Ryan indicated, this frame is very similar to what Art custom-designed for II Much. Back when I bought mine, neither the C5 front or tri-4 bar rear suspensions were available. If they were, I probably would never have swapped them out for my custom front and 3 link rear.

Having a 2x4x.120 steel tube all the way around the perimeter of the car really makes lots of other fabrication a lot easier. I love working with the guys at AME, and highly recommend them. I always deal with Kevin Kosir, the Nova expert.

That being said, I agree that the X-member in the center of the car really reduces head room. My frame doesn't have that, just a simple "inrigger" I fabbed for the tranny cross-member and seat frame.

jp

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.