Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default And just like that, I own Forgelines

This last Saturday was interesting. I finally sold my 20" Kinesis rims that came on my BMW first thing in the morning. By that night, I had bought a set of 19" Forgelines for the BMW. I really wasn't planning to replace the Kinesis rims but I couldn't pass these up since they were built for the E39 chassis. That, and I paid $1600 with tires. They aren't perfect but they'll do for now.

Eventually, I will have the curb rash repaired and change the center coating/color. Does any one have any information on doing this? Like, what's the proper way to strip the current powder coating? Forgeline says they heat treat the barrels. If I have the curb rash tig welded, will I need to have the barrels reheat treated as I'm sure the welding will affect this. What torque should I tighten the bolts to? Anything else I should be aware of? I'm not planning to do this anytime soon. I just want to start learning about it now.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 08-04-2020, 10:08 PM

Just buy a new outer hoop to be safe. Not sure on color change. I’d prob leave it or send back to them to have it changed.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 08-05-2020, 09:40 PM

That's not a bad idea. Unfortunately, it's all four wheels that have rash and would need attention. I'll look into it though. I know the barrels are only made by a few people. Thanks, Will!

Old 08-06-2020, 09:55 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

how Bad is the Rash? Might be fixed or just replacing the Outer Barrels.

I replaced Barrels on my Fikses and had the Centers Powder Coated. The shop that did the PC would not reassemble them so I did that. I bought all new Bolts.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM

You didn't say you made a post, Trey. On that note, how about some feelthy peekchurs? The internet requires pictures, especially when bitchin' rims and dollars are involved.

I made Fritz the 524 slightly acknowledge life today through the exhaust (then fuel sploded all over the intake). What are the odds of my stanky old Beemer running sooner than yours?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:52 AM

The centers could be sandblasted to remove the old powder coating. I am not sure about the torque value for the bolts on forgeline wheels but Fikse recommends 13 ft. Lbs ( 156 in. Lbs) to torque the wheel center bolts
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s

Last edited by 72Z/28; 08-08-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Forgeline can recoat the centers, I've had that done once. It wasn't too expensive as I recall, but it's been a few years. (around $100 per wheel, but that also included return shipping)

I've also reassembled my wheels a few times. I believe that I remember Forgeline recommending to replace the bolts/nuts after 3 torque cycles. I have not done that yet, but would probably do so next time I take them apart.

I just found an old email from them. The torque specs they sent me are:
"The thru bolts are 26 ft/lbs and the blind bolts are 25 ft/lbs"
Finally, replacing an outer rim half is not hard, and for what you paid you would still come out ahead. Probably easier in the big picture than trying to repair them.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
You didn't say you made a post, Trey. On that note, how about some feelthy peekchurs? The internet requires pictures, especially when bitchin' rims and dollars are involved.

I made Fritz the 524 slightly acknowledge life today through the exhaust (then fuel sploded all over the intake). What are the odds of my stanky old Beemer running sooner than yours?
Doh, that hurts, Paul . I found a not so pleasant review of the place I sent my blower. They said they waited 3-4 months to get their blower back. I really hope mine doesn't end up that way. This is starting to bug me not being able to drive the car.

Congrats on getting your BMW running even if only for a short bit.

I'll add some pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
The centers could be sandblasted to remove the old powder coating. I am not sure about the torque value for the bolts on forgeline wheels but Fikse recommends 13 ft. Lbs ( 156 in. Lbs) to torque the wheel center bolts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Forgeline can recoat the centers, I've had that done once. It wasn't too expensive as I recall, but it's been a few years. (around $100 per wheel, but that also included return shipping)

I've also reassembled my wheels a few times. I believe that I remember Forgeline recommending to replace the bolts/nuts after 3 torque cycles. I have not done that yet, but would probably do so next time I take them apart.

I just found an old email from them. The torque specs they sent me are:
"The thru bolts are 26 ft/lbs and the blind bolts are 25 ft/lbs"
Finally, replacing an outer rim half is not hard, and for what you paid you would still come out ahead. Probably easier in the big picture than trying to repair them.

Good luck!
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information. I'll definitely look into it with Forgeline. The local company said $500 per wheel with them doing everything. I figure I can save money taking them apart and reassembling them myself but that's still not cheap.

Last edited by WSSix; 08-09-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Taking them apart & putting them back together is easy. Shops don't want to assemble them as then Liability comes back to them, so they charge a bunch to cover their A$$
Old 08-10-2020, 08:43 PM

I was thinking time more than anything else, TC. I don't mind doing laid back work like this in the evenings. I'm in no hurry as I already have rims I really like on the car. Hell, I've already started sanding down some of the curb rash. I won't be able to remove most of it, but I can get the sharp edges down so it doesn't tear up my rags or hands when cleaning.

Pictures! They're GX3's in case you're wondering what style.

Some of the rashing. These are the worst spots.

Last edited by WSSix; 08-10-2020 at 08:45 PM.