Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 AM

Default CPP brake systems, anyone?

Anyone here purchased any of these big brake systems from CPP ???

http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...igBrakeKit.htm

For $1500 you get 13" front brakes, and 12" rear brakes that are 60%
stronger the C5 brake update kits out there allegedly. Dual 52mm's.
The front calipers are from the 6 lug 1999-2004 GM 1/2 tons.

They also have a master cylinder with an internal PP valve.
Just looking for some first hand opinions, because I saw 2 articles ,
one in PHR for a Chevelle and one in SuperChevy for a Nova raving
about them.

Here's the Chevelle

Here's the Nova
Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM

I have their big brake kit on mine and love it. I got it off of e-bay form Matt's Classic Bowtie http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-69...Q5fAccessories
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 PM

We've used them and sold them several times. Its a good kit for the budget minded, and the MC with the integrated Prop valve is a nice piece.
And for 1500 bucks, can you go wrong? We're adding this kit to our online store, but you can order it direct from us over the phone. Makes sense to since CPP is in our backyard, there is no added shipping charges to drop ship.

866-694-5940
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Give Tobin a call at KORE 3. He has a lot of good kits at good prices and great advice. If you go with the CPP, Matt's Classic Bowtie's is a good place. I buy from him at the swap meets, good pricing and a good guy.

68 Camaro, LS1 T56, DSE Speed Kit 2, DSE Quadralink, DSE Mini Tub, Forgelines, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, GM Tilt Column, Corbeau Seats
2012 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7L Diesel CCSB
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 AM

I have it on my 68 and yes nice kit for the $$. I purchased b4 they had the powder coating option. Kore3 is another good option Tobin is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 PM

I had the kit and returned it. I was told that they use there own type of rotor. And that means that you cannot goto Napa or where ever your parts store is and buy them o.t.c. I went with the Kore3 setup. They offer alluminum calipers and use AC delco rotors. There is at least a 10lbs weight difference in the calipers. That equates to a more responsive suspension by reducing some unsprung weight.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 PM

The custom rotor thing can be both a pro and con. On the plus side, it increases the number of wheels that will fit the brakes since it has a deeper offset than the C5/C6 components. On the negative side, you don't have the aftermarket support or availability that you would with Corvette components.

Regarding the CPP kits being 60% stronger than the C5/C6 kits...not sure how much that really counts for when it's your tires that are typically the limiting factor when determining minimum stopping distances. Anything beyond lock-up is stil locked-up last I checked. Since the caliper piston areas are so much larger though, it does allow the use of the "standard" 1-1/8" bore GM master cylinder in a vacuum boosted application versus the smaller bore units required with the C5/C6 setups. Essentially you run the larger calipers at lower pressures to achieve the same brake torques up to the point that the tires lose traction.

For the money, the CPP kit is a good kit, but it isn't meant to be on par with a C5/C6 kit.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM

So whats the word with matts bowtie classics kit? Is it any good? How do the Matts and CPP compare to say a Wilwood setup?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc69 View Post
So whats the word with matts bowtie classics kit? Is it any good? How do the Matts and CPP compare to say a Wilwood setup?

IMO they are all great braking systems. Like Tobin said, yer tires are gonna be locking up with any of them. Brake fade will be about the same. Cost is about the same (within 500 bucks).

So it comes down to fitment, will the calipers fit?? Wilwood calipers are smaller than both the CPP and Kore cals, but just as capable.

Consumables?? Pads.. Its really nice to be able to go to your local autoparts store and get new pads, I say thats a plus. The wilwood pads are expensive, but Im thinking will always be available. The Kore cals use a stock pad? Plus again. Dont know about CPP? Im thinking they are a common pad?

Weight?? Well, the wilwoods use an aluminum hat, only the rotor is cast iron. I think the Kore and CPP us a cast hat and rotor. I weighed my cast system, a 11" brake after I removed it and compared it to the wilwood brakes Im replacing it with, 13" and the 13" was more by a pound ( I have the exact numbers in the house if interested). So a lil less unsprung weight with the wilwoods Im thinking..

So for me?? Well I looked at the CPP and Kore, was ready to buy-it-now. And thank god both of them have great measurements for the caliper height. They wouldn't clear my 17" wheel.

If you have a standard 17" wheel with the rib on the outside then they will prolly clear. But I have a smooth lip wheel, where they put the rib in the center of the wheel and a lil closer in, towards the center of the car. The tall calipers will not fit. So I went with wilwood. JR
Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

The CPP big brakes kit is basically the same stuff that Baer offers- both sets are PBR calipers. I have an early set on my '68 Camaro RS/SS. With H-boost, they are AWESOME. I've run many of their sets, not always in love with the e-brake design. Plus, when powdercoated, they seem to need too much extra attention. Matt's is a class act, and you ma need it because CPP service is decent at best!

That said, I am a huge fan of Wilwood brakes. Quality, fit and function are top-notch. We deal in their products because they work- and the vendor is open to suggestions! If you need some help, PM me......