Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I just bought the Hooker headers, x member & mounts and Keith at Custom works is installing them BUT the headers are too low imo. Good stuff, but i'm finding out this afternoon....so i'm talking with todd over on nastyz28 trying to sort things out. Its a good kit, but i wanted my headers more than 3 inches of clearance but im at 2.25 right now which is where is was with the dynatech's.

Congrats on the purchase. You wont regret it. I liken it to BBC torque, lightness of a 4cyl, gas mileage of a new car and most of all, power on demand. I got 24mpg on my road trip to Texas, avg. @ 80 mpg im at 2000 rpm with 3:73's and 17'" rims......I cant wait too drive it after the Speedtech stuff and my new steering is in.....
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
I just bought the Hooker headers, x member & mounts and Keith at Custom works is installing them BUT the headers are too low imo. Good stuff, but i'm finding out this afternoon....so i'm talking with todd over on nastyz28 trying to sort things out. Its a good kit, but i wanted my headers more than 3 inches of clearance but im at 2.25 right now which is where is was with the dynatech's.

Congrats on the purchase. You wont regret it. I liken it to BBC torque, lightness of a 4cyl, gas mileage of a new car and most of all, power on demand. I got 24mpg on my road trip to Texas, avg. @ 80 mpg im at 2000 rpm with 3:73's and 17'" rims......I cant wait too drive it after the Speedtech stuff and my new steering is in.....
Hey Mike, I just realized while looking at your photo and comparing it to my prototype file photos that you are running some type of aftermarket subframe treatment in the area under your oil pan and between your front wheels...what is that exactly? I think it could be the source of your ground clearance issue. This photo shows the ground clearance of the Hooker early 2nd-gen LS swap headers and 3" exhaust system when installed on a bone-stock subframe. Realizing this makes me confident we will get things figured out to your liking.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post

I saw the headers in your pics and it is pretty bad. Engine wise I'm looking forward to the LS and even though I don't "need" it I may dive in and get it done so I can track the car this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
Hey Mike, I just realized while looking at your photo and comparing it to my prototype file photos that you are running some type of aftermarket subframe treatment in the area under your oil pan and between your front wheels...what is that exactly? I think it could be the source of your ground clearance issue. This photo shows the ground clearance of the Hooker early 2nd-gen LS swap headers and 3" exhaust system when installed on a bone-stock subframe. Realizing this makes me confident we will get things figured out to your liking.
Hopefully you can help Mike to figure the issue out. I was going to try the new hooker setup as well but the pics have me very nervous and really thinking to go with Kooks instead.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerno View Post
I saw the headers in your pics and it is pretty bad. Engine wise I'm looking forward to the LS and even though I don't "need" it I may dive in and get it done so I can track the car this summer.

Hopefully you can help Mike to figure the issue out. I was going to try the new hooker setup as well but the pics have me very nervous and really thinking to go with Kooks instead.
I shared your concerns last night as well when I saw the Mike's photo...that was until I discovered Mike is running a modified subframe for which our components were not designed to fit. If you look at the photo I attached to this thread this morning, you will see the intended fitment and ground clearance on a stock subframe car. I think we'll be able to figure out some method of helping Mike out too, which is a goal of mine. As long as you are running a stock subframe, you will not encounter what Mike has and will have the same ground clearance that is shown in the photo I posted.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I shared your concerns last night as well when I saw the Mike's photo...that was until I discovered Mike is running a modified subframe for which our components were not designed to fit. If you look at the photo I attached to this thread this morning, you will see the intended fitment and ground clearance on a stock subframe car. I think we'll be able to figure out some method of helping Mike out too, which is a goal of mine. As long as you are running a stock subframe, you will not encounter what Mike has and will have the same ground clearance that is shown in the photo I posted.
I do have 1/2 height body mounts, is that going to be an issue?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerno View Post
I do have 1/2 height body mounts, is that going to be an issue?
Looks like I'm still in the middle of figuring out the discrepancy as the installer reported that Mike's subframe is stock. I'm not suspecting the mounts they were sent were incorrect. As far as 1/2 height body mounts, you'll be able to run them but you'll have no more than 1/2" clearance between the collectors and your floor on the headers and you'll have to raise the roof of the crossmember pockets in the floor to accommodate Hooker crossmember if that's what you were going to use.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Todd, the subframe is stock, the upper shock towers have been altered but that has nothing to do with the engine mounts, same with the g-bar welded to the front, the frame and its engine geometry are bone stock.

Sorry to threadjack steve....