Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Forged 418 ls3. Goal: 800ish rw daily, 1000-1500capable. Lets talk boost..

disclaimer: I don't want to have a three page debate about 1000hp as it pertains to words like "drivable" and "street friendly".

Here goes: As clearly as i can convey it, I'm looking for as close to stock ls3 manners as possible. I don't want any problems cruising around in anything from 40-100 degrees, even if it happens to be stop and go for hours. Obsolutely NO sputtering, surging, or stalling. Its Also going to be used for slow speed autocross as well, so factor that. Money is not exactly an issue but im not clamoring to call nre or anything, if it costs a little bit more to get it right ill deal. So Which and why? I'm not against turbos, roots blowers or even centrifugals if It could be set up nicely for autocross. Opinions on the cooling aspect are welcomed as well..

Last edited by irishlsxer; 12-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM

I would build a similar styled motor to what Stielow built for the Mayhem 67 Camaro.. Roger

http://bangshift.com/blog/sema-2012-...-car-ever.html
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 PM

I built a 427 LS for a guy using a pair of Precision 6765's. It made 997 to the wheels through an unlocked 80E. It is an absolute animal to drive but is very tame as well. He autox's and does a few track days too.

Throw a pair of turbos on it and call it day. Make sure to put coolers on everything and dont skimp on the radiator. Get a custom cam speced as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 PM

What state are you located in? There are a lot of talented builders all over the US. Kurt urban is one builder I would definitely use.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 AM

I'm running a 416 with a F1A Pro Charger with a very mild cam it makes 834 RWHP, sits in traffic without even thinking about overheating and gets right at 19.5 mpg out on the highway. With a meth. Kit it will make over 900RWHP, but Im happy with 834.
Either way you go there will be pros and cons. Pro Chargers rob allot of horsepower but you don't have the heat and plumbing issues that you do with a turbo set up. Turbo will easily make more power and defiantly looks cooler.
My experience running the autocross with that much power is that it is more like drifting because of the traction issue.
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ighlight=yenko
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=34171
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM

We just put a 418 from Texas Speed into a 02 TA. Through the 4l80e unlocked it made 471 NA on pump. 3600 stall the car drives awesome! No surging, stalling, etc. this is with their LS7X cam.

I believe 100% that the "Tuner" is worth his/her weight in gold. I believe I have one of the best around he always delivers! No matter how calm or crazy the setup the "tuning" makes or breaks the whole deal.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69x22 View Post
I'm running a 416 with a F1A Pro Charger with a very mild cam it makes 834 RWHP, sits in traffic without even thinking about overheating and gets right at 19.5 mpg out on the highway. With a meth. Kit it will make over 900RWHP, but Im happy with 834.
Either way you go there will be pros and cons. Pro Chargers rob allot of horsepower but you don't have the heat and plumbing issues that you do with a turbo set up. Turbo will easily make more power and defiantly looks cooler.
My experience running the autocross with that much power is that it is more like drifting because of the traction issue.
Think there Are there any belt-less drives out there that are worth looking At? How does the power come on as your rpms climb? Define mild cam? WhAt psi? apologies if I missed any of this in your build thread. Any sputtering or surging at all ever? I guess a tvs or something won't make 1000hp+ easily huh? Isn't stielow running that 67 around 800whp. I'm a far cry from having his driving skills, but he seems to keep it between the cones nicely with that much power.

Last edited by irishlsxer; 01-02-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I feel like ive somewhat got a grip on the situation and I'm honestly fairly close to a decision. I have a very decent boosted LS guy here locally and he and I have already collaborated on a few things including a 408 lq9 topped with a Kenne bell 2.8l (Search my thread posts and you'll find the picture). It made 700whp in Denver (which is where this current car is being built) in a 4700lb suv on 22's,

however, to your point J2, its a little choppy and ever so slightly surge prone. I still wonder if it was the tune. It has all the proper supportive fuel system mods and everything and really runs almost perfect for the most part. Only In hot stop and go does it run anything but like butter, and even then never dies or anything. I cant remember the cam specs but ill look. It's not a big one I'm sure. Even The dynograph was nice and smooth. Anyway, basically Im shooting for as close to STOCK drivability as possible and ill take concessions where I have to.

Last edited by irishlsxer; 01-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1NOVA View Post
I built a 427 LS for a guy using a pair of Precision 6765's. It made 997 to the wheels through an unlocked 80E. It is an absolute animal to drive but is very tame as well. He autox's and does a few track days too.

Throw a pair of turbos on it and call it day. Make sure to put coolers on everything and dont skimp on the radiator. Get a custom cam speced as well.

That's what I'm talking about! Ill just come out and say that This is my chosen route unless someone convinces me an sc can make the same power with the same drivability. I'll admit I'm mondo worried about the cooling as this car is definitely going to see HOT weather, stop and go, very probably some power tour type things, and even some higher speed track events eventually. care to elaborate on the cooling aspect? even Pm me if you like.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlsxer View Post
Think there Are there any belt-less drives out there that are worth looking At? How does the power come on as your rpms climb? Define mild cam? WhAt psi? apologies if I missed any of this in your build thread. Any sputtering or surging at all ever? I guess a tvs or something won't make 1000hp+ easily huh? Isn't stielow running that 67 around 800whp. I'm a far cry from having his driving skills, but he seems to keep it between the cones nicely with that much power.
No belt-less drives unless you go with a couple turbo s. A Pro Charger does have a bit of lag at first mine starts coming in hard around 3k, I shift at 6500. It will break the tires loose at 50 in 3rd gear and makes this power with 16psi of boost. If you are putting this in a SUV I would go with a twin turbo set up. I had the tuner ride around with me for 45 minutes tuning inthe driving part so I have no issues there. You need to find a good tuner that has patience to dial it in for you. So many of them think they are done after you dyno it and get the power out ofIt but they need to ride in the car drive it for a while to work out the kinks.
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ighlight=yenko
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=34171